News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Did this fall of my car?

Started by smatarese, February 20, 2017, 10:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smatarese

Noticed this under my 1960 Eldorado Brougham yesterday when it was parked in a lot. The pieces were separated when I found them, just screwed them together to take them. I posted on the CLC Facebook page, but figured this might get more exposure. Suggestions received so far were for the air compressor and transmission mounts. I had the air ride removed from the car and regular p/s pump installed and it appears secure.

1959 Eldorado Biarritz
1960 Eldorado Brougham

My father says that he had a friend that kept working on his 60's something SAAB every weekend. Taking it apart and putting it back together. His wife got fed up and added one bult with a nut. He then had to find where it belonged, but off course couldn't. The next weekend he didn't work on the SAAB...

True or not I don't know. Might just be a good story. But sometimes someone plays you for a fool.

Also agreeing with your assessment that this forum attracts more attention, good attention, than Facebook. Real men don't use Facebook!   ;)

Scot Minesinger

The top of the bolt should have a marking "M" or something indicating it came from a Cadillac of this era.  Also, you may notice some difference with the way the car performs/sounds with this missing bolt and bushing?
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

smatarese

The car sounded and drove fine. I sent a picture to my mechanic and he's pretty confident it's not off my car, so that's reassuring.
1959 Eldorado Biarritz
1960 Eldorado Brougham

Mike Wenrich #1666

Usually, a bolt with a spacer is used on belt mounted accessories like the A/C, Alt or P/S.  You could have several bolts still holding the A/C compressor and have one missing.  Might want to check closely and maybe with a mirror to look underneath the units.  I am no expert on this model but these are commonly used so it definitely could be off another car.

Bobby B

Quote from: CLC 30326 on February 20, 2017, 11:19:08 AM
My father says that he had a friend that kept working on his 60's something SAAB every weekend. Taking it apart and putting it back together. His wife got fed up and added one bult with a nut. He then had to find where it belonged, but off course couldn't. The next weekend he didn't work on the SAAB...

And the Following Weekend, His Wife Mysteriously Disappeared...... >:D
                                                                            Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

TJ Hopland

Just based on that photo that bolt looks a little more modern to me.    Like someone else said what does the top look like?   That should give you an idea if its a home depot sort of bolt or something more likely from some sort of car. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Alan Harris CLC#1513

Is it metric or SAE?

If metric, you can rule it out.

cadillacmike68

That's too new to be off an ELB. That is unless you had it restored recently.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

smatarese

The car actually has recently undergone extensive mechanical and electrical restoration. Only have about 1500 miles on it since.
1959 Eldorado Biarritz
1960 Eldorado Brougham

Scot Minesinger

It is likely modern fasteners were used on the restoration of the mechanicals 1,500 miles ago.  There are often posts about mechanics not doing a good job on our Cadillacs.  No one is flawless.  Since recent extensive work was completed by a non-perfect entity presumably using hundreds of fasteners, this could be from your car.

If you are unfamiliar then I would give the work order of completed mechanical items to a very competent trustworthy expert and have them look over every fastener involved and check all work.  This is probably a good idea anyway regardless of whether you have this bolt or not.  The last mechanical work I paid someone else to do before switching to me doing it all, I went over it thoroughly and found some not torqued bolts, and a few other issues, and which I resolved - took three hours.

BTW, very nice looking Eldorado Brougham!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

smatarese

Scott, solid advice. A trusted friend is going to check over the car with me this weekend, but I trust the shop I had do the work. They are a CLC sponsor and came highly recommended. Always better safe than sorry.
1959 Eldorado Biarritz
1960 Eldorado Brougham

James Landi

CHeck out your exhaust manifold bolts on both sides of your COLD engine--- the bolt looks newly heat distressed under the spacer... and someone mentioned that the spacer SHOULD have been holding on another mechanical element.Clearly, when the bolt edged out, the spacer went with it.  I'm thinking the bolt was too long for one of the exhaust manifold holes, so, perhaps,  a lazy tech used the spacer and the too long bolt that may not have gone in far enough to stay put.  You can detect a lost bolt by feel with your fingers.  Happy day, James