News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Prices of 60's and 70's Cadillac's rising.

Started by 64\/54Cadillacking, March 12, 2017, 08:28:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Occasionally, hobbyist enjoyment and investment aspects can overlap over the course of vintage car ownership.

When it does, so much the better!
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Richard Sills - CLC #936

In December 2016, I saw a 1976 Coupe deVille sell at the Raleigh Classics auction for $20,250 (plus the 8% buyer’s fee).   I am not suggesting this is typical -- the car had 13,600 miles, and was really a beauty.  It was Dunbarton Green with a white cabriolet roof and white leather interior. 

The rise in prices among these cars applies primarily to those in excellent condition.  Because of the cost and difficulty of restoration work, there is a wide gulf between the value of a car with typical deterioration and one that is virtually like new.  The market does seem to appreciate the value of '60s and '70s Cadillacs in the latter category.

EAM 17806

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on April 15, 2017, 03:22:49 PM
I happen to agree with Greg the "Cadillac Kid".
..."when you start thinking of concrete values you forget these cars are NOT investments.  They are toys and are only worth what we feel they are worth."

WE are involved in a hobby, not bankers, or on Wall Street.
I enjoy working on my cars.
I look forward to the fun, and joy that I experience when I drive them - it makes me happy.
I have the cars for me, and not for the investment, nor for the thumbs up - as I drive along. 
I'm in the hobby to be hedonistic, and not a money grubbing mercenary.
I don't lament what I could have, would have, or should have done with the money, any more than not having used it for a 100" TV with surround sound.
IMHO.
Have fun,
Steve B.
AMEN!   EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

David Greenburg

X2.  Steve hit the nail on the head.  If I was I this to make money, I wouldn't be in this!
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

jwwseville60

1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on March 14, 2017, 01:23:25 PM
Value is of course in the eye (wallet) of the beholder.  I lusted after a Mirage but couldn't fine one that was either more than a billion dollars or a pile of rust held together with paint.  When this "Paris" (200 built and sold through Cadillac dealers) popped up I jumped. I now have about 28k in it and it needs another 2 for completion.  The point bei9ng, when you start thinking of concrete values you forget these cars are NOT investments.  They are toys and are only worth what we feel they are worth.   Yes prices are going up, but if I had put the 28kl into the market (when I bought the Paris) it would be over 50 now.
Greg Surfas
Looks like one is for sale in Buda TX FYI-project car...not too far from you.   Chuck
https://www.facebook.com/ATXcarPICS/posts/1470402759748777
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

35-709

A Caribou.  My hope would be the seller has the tailgate stashed somewhere. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Tonyv_73

Surprised no one has mentioned the rise for the value of 90-92’s and 94-96 full-size fleetwoods.  As well as early 80’s  fleetwood coupes and low mileage late 70’s and early 80’s cadillacs in general
1963 Series 62 Convertible
1965 Eldorado
1966 Calais Sedan
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1970 Wildcat
1970 Coupe Deville
1973 Eldorado Convertible
1974 Coupe Deville
1976 Coupe Deville
1981 Eldorado Biarritz
1985 Eldorado Commemorative Edition
1991 Brougham
1993 Eldorado 4.9
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
2006 XLR
2006 DTS
2014 XTS

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Found 'The Ark' on Craig's List for 6K. 5 days before Christmas it was mine for 2k cash. 96K miles. Yes I've spent that in replacement parts that may or many not have been necessary, and period correct tires and battery. And its going into the shop next week for correct color paint, roof and minor body work. I've got a lot of work to do on the chrome still. We'll work on the nearly flawless interior next year. This is the car of my childhood, bought as a time capsule not an "investment". Hagerty valued it at 7K, my premium was $170. My town valued it at $350 and my excise tax was $5.

I don't care if it goes up or down in value, its my link to my youth and will never be sold. And I am SO BLESSED to own it. At least that's what I keep telling myself when the AmEx bills come, LOL! Car shows coming up all summer and I can't wait!

There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

64\/54Cadillacking

Quote from: Tonyv_73 on February 19, 2018, 09:57:03 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned the rise for the value of 90-92’s and 94-96 full-size fleetwoods.  As well as early 80’s  fleetwood coupes and low mileage late 70’s and early 80’s cadillacs in general

I think it depends. I just sold my 94 Fleetwood last week and it took me over 2 months to sell it which I figured it would be gone in a weeks tops, boy was I wrong. The car did have almost 200k miles on it, but everything worked.

It had paint fade and the front seats were worn. I priced it at $3,000. Way too many people just threw low ball numbers and I got so frustrated with people not following through with their interest and acted like they were serious, but weren’t.

Sometimes it’s not good assume things. I had this problem, thinking that I was going to get a lot for my car being the last of the big body Caddies, but everyone was offering me only $1500-1800.

I had a big subwoofer and amp in the trunk I removed after I sold it. I really wanted to get more for the car with the amp and sub, but it didn’t happen.

At the end of the day I settled for only $1600. I needed the car gone, as it was just sitting all the time.

Not to sound racist, but the only demographic of people that bothered to contact me about the car were Hispanic and Black dudes. No White guys at all. This has been the case with the other Cadillacs I’ve owned in the past. The demographics of people looking to buy these cars are mostly lower income and minority’s. They love the old Caddies, and honestly I wish more older people appreciated our old cars more, but in my experience most of the people that have complimented all my old cars have been younger Blacks and Mexicans.

It’s hard to sell old Caddies depending on your location, we are a very small group of Cadillac enthusiasts, and the popularity of Cadillacs from all decades interest certain kinds of people.

Owning a Cadillac is for people that appreciate what traditional luxury used to be like in the U.S. Someone who loves a smooth floaty ride and all they care about is being isolated and pampered  from the road while looking cool at the same time.

Unfortunately fast cars sell fast, and will always will. While the cruisers can take time.

Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

cadillacmike68

Quote from: 64CaddieLacky on February 20, 2018, 12:58:26 AM
I think it depends. I just sold my 94 Fleetwood last week and it took me over 2 months to sell it which I figured it would be gone in a weeks tops, boy was I wrong. The car did have almost 200k miles on it, but everything worked.

It had paint fade and the front seats were worn. I priced it at $3,000. Way too many people just threw low ball numbers and I got so frustrated with people not following through with their interest and acted like they were serious, but weren’t.

Sometimes it’s not good assume things. I had this problem, thinking that I was going to get a lot for my car being the last of the big body Caddies, but everyone was offering me only $1500-1800.

I had a big subwoofer and amp in the trunk I removed after I sold it. I really wanted to get more for the car with the amp and sub, but it didn’t happen.

At the end of the day I settled for only $1600. I needed the car gone, as it was just sitting all the time.

Not to sound racist, but the only demographic of people that bothered to contact me about the car were Hispanic and Black dudes. No White guys at all. This has been the case with the other Cadillacs I’ve owned in the past. The demographics of people looking to buy these cars are mostly lower income and minority’s. They love the old Caddies, and honestly I wish more older people appreciated our old cars more, but in my experience most of the people that have complimented all my old cars have been younger Blacks and Mexicans.

It’s hard to sell old Caddies depending on your location, we are a very small group of Cadillac enthusiasts, and the popularity of Cadillacs from all decades interest certain kinds of people.

Owning a Cadillac is for people that appreciate what traditional luxury used to be like in the U.S. Someone who loves a smooth floaty ride and all they care about is being isolated and pampered  from the road while looking cool at the same time.

Unfortunately fast cars sell fast, and will always will. While the cruisers can take time.

How do you know if someone is "hispanic" (I hate that term) or black from a phone call??? Because that DOES sound racist.

Now, Where do you live? That can have an impact on your market.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Caddyholic

According to KBB 1600 was a fair price for how you discribed the car.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

64\/54Cadillacking

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on February 20, 2018, 11:30:52 PM

How do you know if someone is "hispanic" (I hate that term) or black from a phone call??? Because that DOES sound racist.

Now, Where do you live? That can have an impact on your market.

I live in the San Diego area. Oh and how can I tell? Well I ask for their names lol.

Also everyone that has checked out my Caddies in the past have been mostly non White. Just being honest here. Not that it matters, since I’m glad at least someone loves these cars and will take good care of it.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville

Previous Rides:
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 64CaddieLacky on February 20, 2018, 12:58:26 AM

Its not racist. I had the SAME problem trying to sell my beloved but dead 1996 Concours years ago. I wanted someone to buy it and restore it. But the only calls I got were from blacks who wanted a driver even though I was SPECIFIC in my advertising it was NOT a driver. No hispanic callers, "low riders" weren't in vogue at that time. And its easy to tell a person's heritage in most instances by their dialect and grammar.

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

64\/54Cadillacking

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on February 22, 2018, 02:25:09 AM
Its not racist. I had the SAME problem trying to sell my beloved but dead 1996 Concours years ago. I wanted someone to buy it and restore it. But the only calls I got were from blacks who wanted a driver even though I was SPECIFIC in my advertising it was NOT a driver. No hispanic callers, "low riders" weren't in vogue at that time. And its easy to tell a person's heritage in most instances by their dialect and grammar.

\m/
Laurie

Spot on! I honestly thought someone from the low rider community was going to buy the car since the 93-96 Fleetwoods are popular within the low rider scene. Including the 77-92 Broughams which are everywhere at lowrider shows out here in SoCal.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville

Previous Rides:
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental