News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

!948 Cad fender welt ?

Started by dan48, April 09, 2017, 03:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan48

On a model 6207 aka Club coupe --- is the rear  fender welt (fender to body)   always black ?  What is the correct diameter ?
Dan Lough

Chris Davis

The Master Chassis book shows the fender "anti-squeek" (welt) as 1/16" width for the flat flange section embedded in the fender, and a flange depth of 1-3/4".  The 1950 book shows this as the standard part for all models and years.

FWIW, the welting that came off of my 41 was black, had the above dimensions and the bead was 3/16". As far as I know it was original to the car.

I have never seen any color other than black on original cars - but others more knowledgeable may weigh in on this.

The best replacement I found was from Restoration Specialties in Windber PA.  3/16" bead, ~2" deep flange and ~1/16" width flange.

49 Convertible

Chris is correct in his statements regarding supplier and diameters of welting.  Original welting was a canvas-like material but so far I have been unable to find this.  The welting sold by various suppliers is mostly correct.  Stay away from any rubber-like or plastic.  The welting originally had a paper-like material (round) to make the bead that sticks above the fender which now is mostly a plastic insert.  I would suggest buying the 48-49 Authenticity Manual (from the club) which will be of great help with your car.

Herman
Herman Desser
clc # 19416

Glen

I don’t think it would be hard to make your own welt if you have a sewing machine.  Its only a fabric wrapped around a cord and sewn together.  Upholsterers makes them for seats all the time.  Just have to use the right material.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104