News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Controversial I Know, but......

Started by Jeff Wilk, April 11, 2017, 10:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Powers

Unfortunately Walter a Cimarron has none of the above mentioned traits.  It is not reliable, spacious, well equipped, powerful, or classy looking. I know you were kidding but I think that you probably picked the only "Cadillac" ever built that missed the mark on all counts. The poor little one fell far from "The Standard of the World" 
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

When a top GM executive publicly denounces one of its own vehicles, there's not much more to be said.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Walter Youshock

My statement, as well as the car, was a joke.  Sadly, the Cimarron looks to be about the same size as some of the current lineup...  and neither attract me as an owner.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

g27g28

I agree with Eric but would open up the window to include 86 to 92 Broughams.  I know the fuel injection is more preferable but wouldn't turn down a nice carb car any day.  I have had my 80 Fleetwood for almost 10 years now and it still amazes me that it drives and performs as well as it does being 37 years old.  I am not now or was ever a fan of the styling of the 93 to 96.  I remember seeing my first one and I thought to myself that they had 13 years to redesign and that's what they came up with.  I would drive a nice one now since buying anything newer and that size is no longer available but would always choose the older design.
1941 Series 62
1954 Coupe DeVille
1978 Phaeton
1980 Fleetwood

I never heard of the Cimarron before. So I googled the word and Cadillac didn't show up among the 10 top for me. Now when reading the link I realize there was a car from Cadillac named Cimarron. That car should never have been labelled Cadillac. It is not a Cadillac and this is just as stupid as taking a SAAB and naming it Cadillac (BLS). I do wonder if the people in charge really are the right people for the job? Would Antoine Laumet de La Mothe, sieur de Cadillac be happy having his name on these cars?

"Historically, Cadillac automobiles have always held a place at the top of the luxury field within the United States." And then there is Cimarron and BLS...

Walter Youshock

About as equally sad were the 1985 through '87 fwd deville and Fleetwood.  Body by Lego, interior by Fleetwood, drive train by hamster...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

jdemerson

Quote from: Jeff Wilk on April 11, 2017, 10:09:44 PM
I know there is a lot of personal preference involved here but what do you all say the MOST reliable, MOST comfortable, MOST well equipped, MOST SPACIOUS, MOST classy looking, post 1980 Cadillac model out there to be used as a kind of daily driver is under $15,000???

Jeff

1. 1990-1992 Fleetwood (including d'Elegance) with 350 cu in V8 with throttle body fuel injection -- Looks like a classic Cadillac, parts widely available, practical yet very luxurious with high equipment content, strong engine and rear drive.

2.  2008-2010 STS with Northstar V8. More luxurious and better handling and performance than DTS, BUT limited to 5 passengers and perhaps comfortable for just 4. This is a superior car that has largely been overlooked. Compares to an E-Class Mercedes Benz, and is very handsome. You'll have to search to find a good one at under $15,000.

3. 1994-96 Brougham with 350 Corvette V8. Relative strengths of this model have been covered well in posts above.

4. 1979 Fleetwood Sedan. Essentially the same as the 1980 model, but with advantage of the 425 Cu in Cadillac big block engine.

IF you want a collectible car that will appreciate, the ordering might be 4, 1, 3, 2.

John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Walter Youshock on April 13, 2017, 05:55:15 PM
About as equally sad were the 1985 through '87 fwd deville and Fleetwood.  Body by Lego, interior by Fleetwood, drive train by hamster...

Although there were problems with the HT4100 engines, the ’85 to ’88 FWD Cadillac DeVille/Fleetwood sold pretty well for Cadillac, even with the RWD Brougham (which had about 1/3 the sales of the DeVille/Fleetwood) as additional showroom competition still also being marketed during that time.

Scot Minesinger

Cadillac really enjoyed a successful sales and revenue period during the 1980's decade, no question about that.  Unfortunately the product really suffered.  The previous reputation and lack of competition during the 1980's overcame their poor product offering and Cadillac was successful financially.  Today Cadillac struggles to overcome their reputation earned 30 years ago.

The question was about best post 1980 Cadillac under 15k, and this is not a question of buying based on sales success but durability, comfort power and overall car only considerations.

As I have posted many times, the product offered by Cadillac during the 1980's ushered in Lexus, Infinity, Acura, MB, BMW, and was a boost to Lincoln sales. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on April 14, 2017, 10:20:38 AM
As I have posted many times, the product offered by Cadillac during the 1980's ushered in Lexus, Infinity, Acura, MB, BMW, and was a boost to Lincoln sales.

Quality issues pushed some people away from Cadillac but brands like MB actually saw greater growth in the 1970s which lead Cadillac to bring out models like the "internationally sized" Seville and eventually the Cimarron.  Imports like MB were quite impacted by the new Japanese luxury competition of the late 1980s/1990s which forced them to cut sticker prices and offer large incentives on their models unlike anytime before.

Scot Minesinger

Big Apple,

MB may grown faster in 1970's but it increased in 1980's at a respectable pace too and at least partially due to Cadillac product.  Also what about Lexus and the others I wrote about.  Are you really saying that 1980's Cadillac product was the best decade of them all for Cadillac product?  To me it was the worst. 

Think about Cadillacs of the 1960's as compared to 1950's, say a 1952 compared to a 1962.  Most would say the 1962 is way better, no question if you need to drive across Country, engine, a/c, brakes, and etc.  Now think about a 1972 Cadillac compared to a 1982, most would rather drive the 1972 Cadillac than the 1982.  The 1980's was a terrible decade for product.  There is no avoiding that fact.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on April 14, 2017, 08:08:09 PM
MB may grown faster in 1970's but it increased in 1980's at a respectable pace too and at least partially due to Cadillac product. 
The 1980s wasn't all good for MB.  Between 1986 and 1989, MB sales actually declined in the U.S. and at nearly twice the pace of Cadillac's sales decline.

The 1990s could have been rough for MB too had they not resorted to significant price cuts, especially on their larger and higher end models starting around 1995.

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on April 14, 2017, 08:08:09 PM
The 1980's was a terrible decade for product.
I disagree.

WTL

A side effect of those price cuts...as I recall, my grandpa bought a 500SEL brand new in 1992 (funny how we come full circle in this thread)...he paid cash for it, only for MB to drastically reduce the price in 94, and aggravate him to no end.  Its like your ivy league alma mater, 5 years after graduation, deciding to increase enrollment and decrease admission standards. 

walt chomosh #23510

69yr old here who bought a 2009 DTS (creampuff) for a driver and love everything about it! I drove my 55 CDV for 17yrs or so as a driver but his DTS is over the top! (would like a push button start though) Awesome machine.....walt...tulsa,ok

Scot Minesinger

Cadillac Mike,

On the SLS, the original post did write "spacious", and although the SLS may be OK it really is not in the same league as the RWD 1995 Fleetwood (or any of the 1977 - 1996 full size RWD platform).  I looked at that SLS and it is not as comfortable for my three adult children as the RWD Fleetwood.  However, if I had to buy a Cadillac for under 15k that was not a full size RWD for under 15k, I would zero in on the SLS as my second choice.

Big Apple Caddy,

I get you now, if you think the Cadillac product of the 1980's is not the worst, then we are unlikely to agree on any aspect of what makes a car great.  I do enjoy reading what you write though.  You are great at pick statistics to reflect your philosophy or way of thinking...so MB sales declined from 1986-1989 OK, what about 1980-1985, what about Lexus, Acura, and Infinity all starting up in late 1980's (maybe this ate into MB sales?), and what about BMW?  If 1980's was best Cadillac ever had to offer, would never have joined this club. 

What do you think is the answer to the original poster, I wrote the 1994-1996 RWD Fleetwoods, based on driving and enjoying one 200k miles and over 8 year period - what do you think?

dochawk

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on April 15, 2017, 09:07:23 AM
The 1980s wasn't all good for MB.  Between 1986 and 1989, MB sales actually declined in the U.S. and at nearly twice the pace of Cadillac's sales decline.

The sales before that were triggered in part by a ridiculously strong dollar as compared to the deutschemark, and were probably unnaturally high.

Add that to a couple of bumper years for farmers, who bought them for their wives and filled them from untaxed non-road diesel . . .

A friend's father bought one of the grey market ones, added an extra fuel filter inline, and would dash across the mexican border to fill it with their crummy diesel.  And he brought a calculator so that he could track how much they were cheating him by and laugh about it, as they overcharged him by two cents a gallon on seventeen cent a gallon fuel . . .

:)

hawk
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Jeff Wilk

Loving these replies guys....exactly what I was looking for.....my daily driver for the last 12 years has been two 2003 Jaguar Vandan Plas models.  New they cost $85k......I bought my first one two years old with 16,000 mile on it for $30k and drove it until 140,000 miles when every repair cost well over a grand.  It first started breaking down at about 70,000 mile.  I'm on my second one now that I also bought used, this time 12 years old with 39,000 miles on it for $10k.  It now has hit that magical breakdown mileage of 70,000+ and things are starting to "go".......so I'm simply thinking ahead as to what to be on the look out for since finding another low mileage '03 VDP has become virtually impossible, and since time also takes it toll on certain of the Jag systems......I'm thinking about a nice roomy, and stylin Cadillac.......definitely not into the "old persons car" look as the kids call it, and I do want something like a rocket ship under the hood as these Jags have been........kind of sad actually how these Cadillacs don't hold their value though.....many 2009/10/11 DTS's out there under 40k miles and just a tad over $15k.....

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

35-709

Always good to have a spare when you own a Jaguar, because it is pretty much predetermined that one will always be in the shop.  ;D
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Series75

Look I know not many of you will agree, but drive one and then decide.  A 1999 Fleetwood Limited.   I like big sedans, this has Northstar technology, front wheel drive, LWB, comfort, lots of room.   Best modern Cadillac sedan I've driven for the last 17 yrs.   

64\/54Cadillacking

Although I prefer the looks of the older 80 Cadillac's better, they haven't aged well, and they are way underpowered compared to the 94-96 Fleetwoods. Plus a 70's Cad just looks better than the 80's-90's Cads anyway.

The 80's was a shitty time for most cars, they were underpowered, downsized, mostly ugly looking, build quality suffered, and engines were choked off with tons of smog equipment so performance was always an issue at this time for many makes and models. Reliability was another problem.

This is why 80's cars haven't been desirable or bring in much money vs the 70's cars on down. It had of been the only time in history when cars and the industry really took a huge step backward. At least in the 70's, we still had big block engines, simpler emission system to deal with, bigger cars overall that had good styling and were heavy duty in the build. Granted, the 80's era seemed like a testing decade for everything, so naturally, it was trial and error. Once the 90's rolled around the equipment got better, mechanically, the cars got better as engineering advanced n improved.

For daily use, I would definitely go for a 90's Cad, or late 80's FWD Fleetwood. Those are nice cars.

I still drive and own my 94 Fleetwood, it now has 192,000 miles on it and is still going strong. These old RWD Cads are tough cars and very reliable for their age when it was at a time GM was cutting major corners.

All the electrical items still work like the power windows and door locks, nothing has broken or come apart. I will say though, these aren't the classiest looking Cadillacs on the inside, and the exterior trim is held on plastic clips which is cheap, but getting behind the wheel and going for a drive will completely change your mind.

I am leasing a pretty much brand new 2016 Nissan Altima for a job, I still would rather drive my Fleetwood every day, just because the Altima rides horribly over rough pavement as the body transmits every little road imperfection into the cabin, and the road noise while driving over concrete and other bad street surfaces is terrible. The drivetrain is nice and smooth in all, but even compared to my 23-year-old Fleetwood, the Caddy rides smoother, is more comfortable, and has way less road noise.

So not all new cars are that great in terms of ride quality, that is why it is very difficult for a midsize sedan or even some of the slightly larger cars to ride as nice as the older bigger Cadillacs from the past. You can't make a short wheelbase car, with strut suspension, and being unibody to ever be as serene riding as a full-size RWD Cad from the 60's-90's. Noise suppression is great in new cars, so everything is pretty quiet at low speeds, but get it on the freeway and over rough surfaces, and that is when you can really tell the difference from a body on frame luxury car, to a unibody one.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞