News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Replacing distributor on '73 Coupe deVille

Started by cadillac73, April 13, 2017, 11:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillac73

Hello all,
I'm a novice gearhead, going to attempt replacing the distributor in my old girl today ('73 Coupe w/ 472).  Wondering if you have any advice, tips, or tricks for me?  Or if you know of any videos you can point me to?  I'm a little nervous about messing with anything timing related, but determined to do this myself.

Thanks!
Catherine Smith "Cat"
Pittston, ME  USA

1973 Coupe deVille 472
"Solid Gold"

cadillacmike68

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillac73

Catherine Smith "Cat"
Pittston, ME  USA

1973 Coupe deVille 472
"Solid Gold"

35-709

To make it easy (for me), and assuming you are not going to turn the engine while the dizzy is out, with a felt tip marker I mark the "dizzy" base and the engine flange where it mounts so I know exactly where it was for later.  With the dist. cap off, mark where the rotor is pointing on the edge of the distributor where the cap fits (first rotor mark), then when you pull the distributor you will see the rotor turn, mark where it ends up (second rotor mark).  Then, when putting it back in, line the rotor up with the second mark you made for the rotor, line up the dizzy base to engine flange marks and ease it back in.  The rotor should now be at the first rotor mark when the dizzy is all the way back in and the dizzy to engine flange marks are also lined up.  This way you can be sure the timing is the same and the engine should fire right off, of course you should check the timing to be sure it is correct when you get it running. 
If you are going to (or might) rotate the engine while the dizzy is out then start this whole procedure with the engine at TDC, on the compression stroke, then you have a known starting point to go back to.

The guys that do this regularly may not have to be so fussy and precise with markings, etc. but this works well for me.

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

The first Jeff rule--- take pictures of everything before you start. Just in case

What is the reason for replacing the distributor?

Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Scot Minesinger

35-709 is 100% correct follow his advice, has worked for me many times.  Also read shop manual.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on April 13, 2017, 08:37:28 PM
The first Jeff rule--- take pictures of everything before you start. Just in case

What is the reason for replacing the distributor?

Jeff

Probably because it's worn / loose like mine was.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

TJ Hopland

I'm with 35-709,  especially with the bit about watching where the rotor ends up as you lift it.    If you don't move the engine you should be able to drop the new one in the same way and it should be close enough to start.    If you were planning on moving the engine like say for a timing chain replacement then I would first rotate the engine till the timing marks aligned and then make all the marks.  The idea there is that when you finish the engine work you will rotate it back to the same spot then drop in the distributor. 

Other things to add is you will need a timing light.   A tach / dwell meter is required for points and nice to have even if its not points.  A hand vac pump / gauge is also a nice tool.    If you don't have these tools or know what they are let us know and we can give you examples of what we are talking about.    You can get a decent meter for maybe $30.   Same with the vac pump gauge which can also help with brake work.   Both the meter and vac pump have many uses around the garage so are good tools to have. 

Before I remove anything I would take readings of what is there now.   I would take timing readings at idle with and without the vacuum disconnected.   I would take some readings at higher RPM's,  maybe up to 3000 with the vac disconnected.   I would then hook up my manual gauge/ pump and take readings at idle at various vac settings.    If its points I would also take a dwell reading.   write all that down or type it into your phone.    The idea here is to know where you are starting so if the new part and factory settings don't improve things you will have a base line to try and return to where you know how it ran. 

Remember on this engine the passenger side is the odd bank which is opposite most other engines. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on April 13, 2017, 09:33:13 PM
Probably because it's worn / loose like mine was.

Yes, exactly. What ate the symptoms of a worn distributor?
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

cadillacmike68

^^ Unstable dwell readings which translates into poor idling quality, etc.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillac73

Thank you all for the excellent advice.  I am replacing it because I have replaced every other damn part of the ignition system AND the carburetor and it is still running like crap under a load.  Stumbling, backfiring, etc...but idles fine.  I know the timing is factory because that's the first thing I did, then did points/condenser, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil.  So this is my last ditch effort.

I do have a timing light and dwell meter, but not the hand vac you mentioned...
Catherine Smith "Cat"
Pittston, ME  USA

1973 Coupe deVille 472
"Solid Gold"

TJ Hopland

I would consider the hand vac pump a must have for a DIY car repair person.   They range from $20-50 so pretty cheap.   Handy for testing vacuum stuff as well as brakes and sucking small quantities of other fluids out of various places.    I'm not endorsing this specific store or model, just giving it as an example.   Mighty Vac is a good quality unit many stores carry including HF.

http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-bleeder-and-vacuum-pump-kit-69328.html 

With stumbles the first place I go is the distributor with my vac pump and run it through its range.   Both points and the HEI can have cracked wires that will loose connection as the vacuum runs through its range.   HEI its the pickup coil wires.   Points its either the ground or the coil lead wire. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason