News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

cadillac 1950 soft top

Started by DBDB, April 15, 2017, 06:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBDB

Good evening ,my soft top cover gets worn and soon i will have to replace it .Because i am in Belgium i will have to send it over from the US .I wonder if this job can be done by a novice like me who never did such job and also what company you guys advice as being good price wise and quality wise .Thanks !Daniel

Scot Minesinger

One of my friends who calls himself a "shade tree mechanic" installed a convertible top on a 1959 himself and it looked fine to me and lasted 20 years.  So I think you could, need to carefully read the "Fisher" body manual, be patient, and it should be OK.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

The Tassie Devil(le)

I installed the top on my own '55 and basically followed the instructions in the shop manual.

I am about to replace the top on a '71, and will eventually do the same on my '72.

My philosophy is that if someone can do something, then there is no reason, with a lot of reading, and thought, and more reading and thought, I cannot do the same.   Seems to work thus far.

If I need help, I have no hesitation in asking for guidance.   

In your case, there has to be people that replace tops on European convertibles, and American ones aren't that much different.   Just bigger.   And bigger translates to easier.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

Daniel, I replaced the top of my '56 Biarritz myself. I will not say it's easy, but you certainly can do it too. Keep in mind that you have to do the work when the weather is warm/hot!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

DBDB

Thanks for your answers but i also would like to know what brand you guys recommend .
Thanks .Daniel