News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Air conditioning lines and fittings

Started by Tpicks55, April 18, 2017, 03:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpicks55

I am replacing the bad air conditioning lines on my 75 Eldorado Convertible.  I've searched for replacement ones and can't seem to find direct replacements.  The lines from compressor to condenser and VIR  have long aluminium lines on the fitting ends.  I assume they are long for routing to save space.  I'm looking at the space that replacement lines with short fitting will interfere with clearance issues around the radiator and at the carb. 

Does anyone make direct replacement lines or am I worried for nothing.  I'd like to keep it original as much as possible.
75 Eldorado Convertible
94 Deville Concurs
2019 Lincoln Continental
2016 Cadillac XTS

TJ Hopland

The right sort of shop can replace the hose sections and reuse the metal bits.    Check with shops that work on or restore old cars.   IF they don't do it they will likely know a place that does.   Sometimes its hydraulic shops but not every one has the correct hose or fittings.   I think the ones GM were using in that era that were like crimped hose clamps was kinda unique to AC.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Tpicks55

75 Eldorado Convertible
94 Deville Concurs
2019 Lincoln Continental
2016 Cadillac XTS

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Tony,
I might suggest you try and contact some of the refrigeration and air conditioning supply houses in your area and ask them who they know that will make up the hoses you need.  The usual process is you take your hoses in, they use your end fittings and crimp on new lines.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Scot Minesinger

You can easily buy the hose on e-bay and rebuild them yourself (probably do a better job too).

I bought the tool that crimps on the metal ferrels to the original metal connectors so that you can replace the hoses.  The tool is $300 and the replacement hoses are maybe $30.  If you get the hoses rebuilt, you probably will pay (at least in our area) $250, plus the weight and bringing the original hoses to them and picking them up after they are finished.  The risk is that they will not clock them correctly or loose something (or everything).  All it takes is two hose set restores that you do your self and the tool is paid for.  For me it was worth it to do just one myself, but have probably done a dozen.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Typical prices are around $30.00 per hose.  I have all the equipment and fittings and hose and still find it simplier to have my local shop make mine up for me.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Scot Minesinger

Greg, that is a stunning difference in price.  I find that when you leave the Washington DC area the price of most things go down and the quality of the labor goes up.  Really the price here is more like $300, but typed $250 because thought it would be lower somewhere else.  In our area it is way easier and less costly (considering the time to drop off, pick up, they may get it wrong, lose something, and etc.) to do the work yourself than hire a shop.  Heck, as written before I even do my own tire changing and balancing myself for same reasons. 

Anyway best bet it to re-use metal fittings on end of hose and get new rubber hoses installed.  Note that the thin line from VIR is always just a little to short (shrinks from factory length) and it may be best to have it remade just a little longer.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Scott (and all),
It seems the closer you are to a large metropolitan area the fewer industrial support (such as Hydraulic/air/air conditioning hose servicing companies) facilities there are.  We here in San Antonio and most medium sized (SA is #8) cities, construction equipment is in abundance and so are the support services.

I just paid the aforementioned $30/hose for the (what were original) hoses on my wife's '76. For my own satisfaction I had them adjust the lengths of two of the hoses by an inch or two.

Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

cadillacmike68

Whatever you do, Tony, Do Not throw out your original fittings. Someplace will be able to put new rubbed in between them. The local place I use will even cover them with stainless steel braid (crimped into the ends even) which not only protects the hoses, but also brightens up the engine compartment.  8)

Of course it also sends GN judges into a knipshin frenzy.  :P
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Tpicks55

Thank you all for the responses it is appreciated.  tony
75 Eldorado Convertible
94 Deville Concurs
2019 Lincoln Continental
2016 Cadillac XTS

bcroe

Note that the original rubber was more permeable than the best replacement
hose.  Use it and buy less gas.  Long ago when cars were being converted to
AC, we cut some hoses and slid them onto a barb with a special AC clamp.  I
am not above still doing this, except I add some AC sealant comparable to
pipe thread compound.  Bruce Roe

TJ Hopland

Hydraulic hose repair prices are all over the place, many on the high side.   I think those shops are used to dealing with big companies with half a million dollar machines on multi million dollar jobs so $300 for a single hose doesn't even make them blink twice. 

Anyone in the Minneapolis area that needs a reasonably priced hydraulic shop try Central Hydraulics in Rogers.   Classic car AC try Dealer Automotive Services in Hopkins.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason