News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Kanter rear shocks - do not buy!

Started by 30326, April 19, 2017, 03:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

On the CLC 63/64 Chapter forum I posted some issues with Kanter rear shocks. Might be valuable information for some of you guys as well:

http://6364cadillac.ning.com/forum/topics/kanter-rear-shocks-do-not-buy?xg_source=activity

Jason Edge

As posted on the 63/64 Cadillac Site: This has been a problem across several brands for at least 15 years. I have always run the Gabriel Gas Cushioned shocks sourced through Auto Zone on my 1964 Coupe de Ville. I think I am on my 2nd set now, and the quick solution is to simply cut one of the upper rubber biscuits in 1/2, and use one above and one below the mounting flange. The first time you run across this issue, it can be frustrating but at least easy to overcome. I never had that issue on the Gabriel front shocks. So, It is not an AutoZone or a Kanter issue but rather one stemming from the companies reproducing these.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Scot Minesinger

I got my post yanked when discussing a negative experience suffered from a supplier, so this may not last.  Only allowed to discuss positive stuff - life is sunshine every day.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Good points Jason, but not satisfying at all.

The shocks are sold by Kanter. Kanter does not state source, so its a Kanter product and its their responsibility. They put their name on something that does not fit and/or needs modifications with increased risk of malfunction. So the heading is very valid.

As you state this has been an issue for more than 15 years and they still sell something that doesn't fit.

For me to buy the Kanter version was more about logistics and cost of shipping than finding the best pair of shocks. I was however not expecting them not to fit. The old rear shocks fitted, was from Midas and the thread was at least 1/4 on an inch longer than these Kanters. So other makers than Gabriel sure can use a measuring stick. But apparently not Kanter. These new shocks are black, something I also desired and was also a reason to buy.

So to sum this up: Kanter sells a product as its own brand. It does not fit our cars and they have known about it for at least 15 years.

I rest my case...

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on April 19, 2017, 12:58:00 PM
I got my post yanked when discussing a negative experience suffered from a supplier, so this may not last.  Only allowed to discuss positive stuff - life is sunshine every day.

Might be the case Scot. But a forum is about discussing good and bad. Here its clearly a situation where a reputable Company, and I am very satisfied with the other products from them, has sold something that does not fit. That should be something of value to the members of CLC and this forum. A much better solution to remove this thread is to invite Kanter to give a respons. Some members of CLC might even know persons in charge within Kanter and ask them to clarify why their products does not fit.

For me living on another continent its not an option to return. I have to use these now with the modifications suggested. I trusted Kanter for being a reputable Company selling parts that are correct and fit our cars.

Scot Minesinger

chrisntam

What's wrong with the world consisting of only rainbows and kittens?   ;)

I agree, we should discuss good and bad as long as it is the truth.

just my $0.02.

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

D.Smith

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on April 19, 2017, 12:58:00 PM

Same here.   You'd think warnings would be allowed, but I guess we live in a litigious age and the club doesn't want to be a target.

Scot Minesinger

Also the club probably does not want to loose advertisers either.  As for a legal target, the endorsement of less safe bias ply tires on the 59-72 Cadillacs that are most often driven on the highway to GN, should stop. 

Dan LeBlanc

We seem to be going off on a bit of a tangent here.  The OP has indicated that he received shocks that the stud length is too short from Kanter.  Jason has indicated he has received shocks with short studs from other sources in the last 15 years as well.

It does not seem to be a vendor issue, but, rather a supply issue.  There is probably only one manufacturer supplying the part, painting it the desired colour, and slapping a private label on it, and shipping it out.  There's likely not enough demand for several manufacturers to produce this part.  That explains why it's not just a Kanter problem.

Probably best if we leave the discussion at that.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car