News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1962 Series 62 Carb Flooding

Started by Dualskegs62, April 21, 2017, 09:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualskegs62

Hi All,

Here goes - 1962 Series 62 with what I believe is the original carb. When the car sits for a week or so, it starts on a couple taps of the pedal, idles smoothly, then sputters to a halt. When depressing the pedal a few times after this to get it started again, the carb floods and gets drenched in gas. I wait 8 hours or so, the carb dries out, and then the car starts effortlessly and runs perfect without any flooding and will continue to do so if started two to three days in a row.

So it seems the issue is only when he car sits for a week or more. If I start it up every couple days, there is no flooding issue.

Any ideas? Thanks! 
Chris Bischoff - Member 30257

The Tassie Devil(le)

Flooding could be as a result of dirt in the fuel, getting caught under the needle valve when starting.

Have you checked the condition of the fuel filter?   And is there any sediment in the fuel pump bowl?

Might be a good time to put a gasket kit through the carby, and flush out the tank and lines.

Do you use fuel from drums, as a lot of contamination gets in when decanting fuel this way.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Dualskegs62

Hi,

I just installed a new fuel pump and filter. I do not get gas from drums but out or regular filling station pumps. What puzzles me is the car runs so well after it becomes un-flooded and then continues to run well if started in one or two consecutive days.

Thanks!

walt chomosh #23510

Chris,
  May I suggest replacing the carb needle and seat....flushing the whole fuel system would also be a good route to take....walt...tulsa,ok

Dualskegs62

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I bet the carb bowl drains as it sits. The float goes down with the bowl level and when it hits bottom it just sticks. Car starts and bowl floods over because the float is stuck down. The carb bowl is then full and after a few hours the float releases itself because the bowl is full forcing the float up until it finally breaks free.
If that is the case you definetly need to open it up but until then you may try tapping on the carb when it floods over and the float may release.
Just a thought.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Dualskegs62

Thanks Jeff. Tapping seems to help and a local mechanic mentioned the same thing but said the needle may be getting stuck as well. May decide in a few days to either re-build or get a new carb.