News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Fuel Sender installation

Started by Seachange01, April 22, 2017, 02:31:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seachange01

Hi guys,
A quick question if I can. I have an issue with the fuel gauge on my 74 Eldorado. Its constantly showing empty. :(
I am thinking it's likely a dead fuel sender, and I know I can replace it for around $90 for the part.
My local mechanic tells me I am looking at around $350 for putting it in (including the part).
So, my question is, (knowing he charges $105 an hour for labor), Is $350 reasonable? (Sounds like he is thinking its around 2 1/2 hrs work).
Or, would most people think I should look for another mechanic who isn't charging so much for labor per hour?
I'm in Ontario, SoCal, so I know just the location alone means everything here is pretty expensive.
Thanks in advance for any advice or ideas.
Cheers,
Alan

dochawk

I did this last summer on my '72 Eldorado convertible.

It's not that hard . . . but I suppose it would take a mechanic a couple of hours.

You jack up the back, undo two grounds (my manual only mentioned one!), undo the bolts on the straps, and undo something like five  hoses in three sizes.

I had to cut off a couple of hoses; I replaced them all.

The hardest part was that I couldn't get one of the hoses back on to one of the nipples.  I had to hunt down the slightly larger size (finally found that a small number of autozones carry it--the first that was listed as having it couldn't find it, and the second said I was the first to buy [spool still sealed].  Napa denies the existence of the size . . .).  Anyway, by the time I want out, it was cooler, and the smaller size slipped over anyway . . . (figures).

The sending unit is held in by something like two screws.  I measured mine, and it was apparently fine (I was dropping the tank over fuel gone to varnish).

I hauled it into the bathtub to flush with hot water as called for in the shop manual (to my wife's dismay).  Afterwards, someone pointed out that my hot water tank has a drain valve I could have used . . . *sigh*

Anyway, it's not a hard job for someone with even limited mechanical skills.  Probably an all Saturday educational job for someone who isn't use to this stuff.  (But you didn't have someone else put together your Lego and Erektor Set stuff before playing with them, did you?).

I used my hydraulic SUV jack and a board to hold the tank in position going up and down.

hawk, red blooded American male
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

I replaced mine last year on my 64. You might need to empty the tank first or risk fuel leakage if not. So make sure you drive it as close to empty as possible as you must remove the tank. If you need to install new sender it has to be calibrated before putting the tank back. That is done by having the grounding wire and the sender wire connected to the car. Lower the sender into the empty tank and see what it looks like on the dial in the dash. Adjust the lever on the sender until the dial shows an empty tank. Then refit it all back and replace the hoses with new. It might also be a smart move to clean out the tank. After  45 years it will be some stuff inside that should not be there.
However if you are lucky the grounding wire is damaged and only needs replacement.

Glen

Are you sure it is the sending unit?  Frequently the problem is electrical.  To test it, disconnect the wire and see where the gauge goes.  Then ground the wire, the gauge should go to the side.  I think grounding the wire will send the gauge to full and disconnected send it to full.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

dochawk

When I got mine out, I tested it.

The float worked and went through the range, and the resistance varied over an appropriate range.

Eventually I'll get to the electrical and get my fuel gauge working . . . he speedometer also bounces up and down like the dog in the back window of a lowrider . . . :)

1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

bcroe

Reading E all the time could be, the float came off the sender.  But before pulling
the tank, I'd find the wire from the gas gauge and disconnect it from the tank. 
The gauge should go to F or beyond.  If it doesn't, the problem isn't the tank. 

Pulling a tank, I like to clamp shut a hose from the tank.  Working it off the body
pipe, I instantly slip a cap over the pipe (short hose plugged with something). 
Then stick a plug into the hose; now move the clamp to the next hose.  Don't
spill gas, a drip pan catches a few drips.  Of course it all goes much better on a
lift, with a trans jack (plywood on top) to catch the tank. 

To get an accurate reading, the float must just touch the top and bottom of the
tank over its range.  A lot of senders only allowed the float to go up 2/3 of the
tank height, then reading F for the first 1/3 tank use.  I lengthen and bend the
arm to get the truth.      Bruce Roe

76eldo

I think $350 including the sender is about right and not out of line.
If you do not have a lift and will be working on this with jack stands under the back of the car it's not a hard job but not a fun job. On my 76 I recently replaced the three rubber hoses at the tank outlet and there were three lines.

It takes 3/8, 5/16, and 1/4 hoses. I guess they used 3 sizes to avoid mixing them up.

Be very careful working around gasoline if you decide to tackle this yourself.

Good luck,

Brian

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Seachange01

I just wanted to take a moment and once again say a huge thanks to you all. This forum is sooooo good. The information and the experiences you all share, its greatly appreciated by me. I am a big believer in learning from others experiences and or mistakes where possible. I always know that any problem I face, someone is likely to have faced before me. It's truly great to be able to come on here and pick your brains for knowledge etc. I look forward to the day I can pay it forward and help someone else.
Cheers and happy travels,
Alan

dochawk

Quote from: Seachange01 on April 25, 2017, 06:20:17 PM
I am a big believer in learning from others experiences and or mistakes where possible.

One of my undergraduate professors said, "A wise man learns from his mistakes, while a fool does not.  A genius learns from other people's mistakes."

C Gorgas

Alan your comment regarding the speedometer sounds like you need to pull cable and clean it real good then grease so that it will turn smoothly. Chet 25441