News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 carbs chokes with trottle,,WHY

Started by 60eldo, April 22, 2017, 09:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

I have a 57 cad and its stock. It starts just fine.  The problem is while at idle, if I hit the gas fairly hard it seems to choke out like its not getting enough gas or air, so I dont know where to start looking,,,carb?,,,,vacunm?.....electrical?   thanks for any suggestions
Jon. Klu

Walter Youshock

If it's TRULY stock, it'll have the troublesome choke unloaded where the choke is physically attached to the primary throttle valves.  This was used on olds and cadillac in 1957 and '58.  The idea was that you could start the car and drive off without waiting for the choke to open.  Most were taken off later.

Also, the '57 Rochester is a notorious mess of a carb that requires several adjustments from the shop manual settings.  The Carter is far better.  But, even after all that, mine will still bog a little at takeoff.  It is a typical complaint of '57 s.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

j,

If you let it the car warm up ]then hit the gas to remove the fast idle for the choke does it run ok?

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Glen

Sounds like a bad accelerator pump to me.  That is where I would start.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104