News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1962 390 Rochester Carb Tag Info

Started by Dualskegs62, April 22, 2017, 02:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualskegs62

Hi,

The carb tag on my engine, which I believe is a Rochester, is 7019030, then DF2 and then 68. What does this mean?

I may want to get a new carb since I believe it's the original on a car with 108,000 miles. I prefer a new carb over getting a rebuild kit for the original.

Any advice and or thoughts? Where's a good source for new carburetors to replace mine?

Thanks!
Chris Bischoff - Member 30257

I had my Carter rebuilt in the fall, so don't need any new or repairs at this stage. However if I would need to replace or repair the carburetor on my  my 64 I would go FI Tech fuel injection.
There is a good discussion on this subject on CLC Chapter 63/64. Maybe that will help you somewhat.

http://6364cadillac.ning.com/forum/topics/fi-tech-fuel-injection

Dualskegs62

Dualskegs62

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info and I'll check it out. In your professional opinion, is it best to get a new carb instead of rebuilding the original?

The Tassie Devil(le)

I would personally be inclined to rebuild your original carby.

At 100,000 original miles, it shouldn't be too worn out.

But, if you have to get an exchange one, I would be inclined to find a worn out one as the core, and retain your original one, in case the exchange one isn't as good as yours.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Dualskegs62

Dualskegs62

Thanks Steve,

I do have a local guy I've worked with in the past so if he re-builds it there won't be any issues. Do you have any experience with wiper motors for the same car? On mine, the motor won't shut off and most feedback is telling me the motor needs to be broke down and re-lubricated which I believe I can do. However, the motor looks real clean as though it may have already been replaced at one time so I'm thinking it may be the dash switch. I don't want to go through the trouble of removing the motor if there's a way and can determine it may be the switch.

Please let me know your thoughts whenever yo get a moment. Thanks!

The Tassie Devil(le)

On my '60 CDV, it turned out to be a perished rubber sleeve that was in the parking mechanism, which is in nearly the same place as the washer pump.

When I pulled the cover off, I could see that the sleeve had broken into two pieces, and a simple cutting of a short piece of vacuum tubing, and inserting it over the piece of metal, and all was good.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Dualskegs62

Thanks Bruce. Can the cover be pulled off while the motor is still mounted to the firewall or does it have to come entirely off?

The Tassie Devil(le)

Not sure.   It was a long time ago.   But, I think I had removed it from the car.

Working on it with it in place, one has to do a lot of twisting and contorting to get to it, and the possibility of dropping some small part is a distinct possibility.

Plus, protecting the fender paint from too much leaning on the fender is always a concern.

You do have a shop Manual?

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Dualskegs62

Hi Bruce,

I have a shop manual and a 16 page print out of a wiper repair manual from a source on line so I basically have all of the documentation I'll need. Now I just have to tackle the task.

Thanks!