News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Exhaust wrap on a '55 6237DX?

Started by 5390john, April 22, 2017, 08:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5390john

Anybody know if exhaust wrap material was used by the factory in 1955?
If not, is it a good idea to install?
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

walt chomosh #23510

J,
  Ive owned a 1955CDV for 17 yrs or so and it never had exhaust wrap but that's not so say it didn't have it in 55. (I doubt that it did) As far as wraping exhaust pipes, I built a totally mandrel bent stainless steel exhaust system (W/crossover pipe) and wraped everything,including mufflers. The wrapping not only makes the exhaust system quieter but aids in A/C by not allowing heat to warm the floor.(I insulated my floor also!) Did I waste my time doing it? Maybe....but....maybe not....walt...tulsa,ok

David King (kz78hy)

My 1960 Master Parts List has only flexible tubing for your 1955.  Other years had the LH take down pipe wrapped in asbestos.

Group 9.0263  P/N 1461152, 1461154.

Don't forget the brace that goes from the LH pipe back to the transmission bell housing cover bolt.  1955 P/N 1462653, Group 9.0303.

These are parts almost never there on the cars being judged at the Grand National and one of the things I look for and take off points if they are missing.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

5390john

Hi David, John:
See attached photo of a mystery part that I have been trying to identify since my car was pulled out of the barn 5 1/2 years ago. Is this the exhaust bracket # 9.0303?
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

David King (kz78hy)

Quote from: 5390john on April 29, 2017, 01:19:58 PM
Hi David, John:
See attached photo of a mystery part that I have been trying to identify since my car was pulled out of the barn 5 1/2 years ago. Is this the exhaust bracket # 9.0303?
John Adams

John, that is the part.

The flex tubing goes over the exhaust pipe and for '55, no wrap.  Wrap was used on '57 & '58 and other years.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

5390john

Dave:
Would like a little further detail about the '55 exhaust system, I appreciate the fact you are a concourse judge and I welcome your informed opinion!
First, can you give me any info on clamp # 9.0394? What type of clamp is it, any photos?
Second, can you further illuminate the use of flex pipe? Does the flex pipe slide over the exhaust pipe as if it is a heat shield?
Third, Can you provide any photos/info on clamp # 9.0293? My car has the rubber pads, but the clamps are LONG gone. Curious for any details on them.
I attached a PDF of the 1955 frame/exhaust page out of my part manual for reference.
Thank you for volunteering the info on the bracket even though I didn't even know to ask. I have long wondered what it is. Oddly, it's solving these little mysteries that makes these projects so much fun.
Please keep in touch
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

David King (kz78hy)

John,

I will do my best here, but my primary area is 57/58 and I am starting to get into 59/60.  Your questions are in blue.  Attached are photos of my Master Parts List book which should assist in more detail for years and numbers.  I included the 58 overview as the graphic is better for detail of the flex tubing over the exhaust pipe.  The brackets to the trans there are similar to your '55, but attach a little different.

First, can you give me any info on clamp # 9.0394? What type of clamp is it, any photos?

I need to explain the part numbering system.  The "9.0394" is the Group number.  Under the Group number there will be a listing of part/s numbers that are associated with that category.  Once you are used to it, the group numbers make it easier to find a specific part in the massive parts list books.  See my photos of the book.

The clamp in question is different than what is used in 57/58 as those are the standard U-Bolt style.  When the image you have is expanded, you can see the detail of how it goes together.  Others can chime in on this who know about earlier exhaust system components, but I would start looking at the 40's and 50's exhaust part vendors.  The clamp in question will have to fit over 2.25" flex pipe.  If flex pipe is not used, then 2" exhaust pipe clamp is needed.  Had I not looked at the detail, I would have assumed the U-Bolt style of clamp would be correct, but apparently that is not the case.

Second, can you further illuminate the use of flex pipe? Does the flex pipe slide over the exhaust pipe as if it is a heat shield?

The flexible pipe slides over the actual exhaust pipe and can be very difficult to get it into position, at least on the 57/58.  It is both heat shield and acoustic dampener.

Third, Can you provide any photos/info on clamp # 9.0293? My car has the rubber pads, but the clamps are LONG gone. Curious for any details on them.

I do not have any info on that style of clamp.

Keep up the detective work as I'm sure those high use parts are out there somewhere.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

5390john

David:
Thx for your in depth response!. I looked at various types of flexible exhaust pipe on the web, O'Reilly's sells it, is that suitable for use on a '55 Cad?
Would also be curious if, in your experience, does installing flex over the exhaust pipe result in any rattles or any otherwise unforeseen issues?
Appreciate your help!
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

David King is correct.

The 1955 Cadillac also had a "flex Pipe" installed over top of the exhaust from
below the manifold to the "clamp" mentioned.  It is somewhat difficult to get
it on over the pipe, but it can be done.

In addition to the clamp, my shield is tack welded to the exhaust pipe which
eliminates and chance of a rattle, etc.

Believe it or not, J.C. Whiney has a stainless flex pipe in various diameters that
looks almost exactly like the original.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

5390john

Hi Mike:
Thx for your post. If you have any photos of the flex pipe, clamp and bracket that are installed on your car it would be MOST appreciated!
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

John:

Unfortunately, I haven't got my car running and out of storage as of yet
for the season.  I'll get to it later this month.  I will not be able to get those
pics until then.  The best pics would need to be takes from underneath and
I can't do that right now!

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

5390john

Hi Mike:
No rush!! My car is in the upholstery shop now (since Dec 2 and I'm tired of waiting!), but I expect it back sometime in the next week or two. Once I have it back I have a ton of work to do including installing the front clip, see photo.
Plenty of time to look into more details......
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"