News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 FWD Eldorado Wheels

Started by RewindYourMind, April 26, 2017, 09:26:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RewindYourMind

Hey Gents,

Anyone know where i can buy a set of chrome wire wheels for '76 Eldorado

Carl Fielding

Sounds like a tall order with the extreme offset (deep dish) of these FWD Cadillacs. There are some extremely attractive aluminum wheels for these cars which come up rarely.  - Carl

76 cadillac bob

I am also looking alas, after 5 months, there is no such animal available. I tried everything. In my post here, one response: the split CV front wheel drive, weight, weird lug pattern and offset, are special for this car and no other. I even asked to have custom ones made and the mfg came back and said no can do.
I am now figuring out how to paint or chrome existing rims. I am going back into my site and seeing what colors or ideas for existing ones. Hub caps dont stay on because of tire "sag" I got three to stay one kept falling off so I give up. I dont do "frizzbee" on the freeway. I am meeting with tire people soon, will keep you posted
Cadillac Bob

76eldo

If the wheels are fairly straight on the outer edge, correct weights are used, the thr little tabs on the caps are adjusted properly there is no reason that the hub caps will not stay on.  I have owned these cars going back to the 70's and only ever lost one cap on the highway. I'd guess the tabs were not adjusted correctly.

Once you install the cap and pound it on with a rubber mallet you should not be able to pull it off with your hands. If you can then it will fall off so you need to adjust the retaining tabs on the caps.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

In order to end up with a plating job that looks better than spray can silver the wheels need to be taken apart. I don't think I personally would want to ride on re assembled Eldo wheels.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-