News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

battery failure

Started by TonyZappone #2624, April 27, 2017, 06:36:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyZappone #2624

I have had two 12 volt batteries fail in the last month.  Both cars are in Florida, 58 Cad and 2002 T-Bird, and sit for 6 months.
When not in use, I was using a Schumacher 1.5  amp trickle charger on both cars.  I would have thought that this charger would really have enhanced the life of these batteries.  Instead, they haven't lasted anywhere near as long a previous batteries.  The original T-Bird battery lasted 11 years!

Is it the little charger that's diminishing battery life?  Or are the new 12 V batteries just not holding up?  Of course, the 6 volt optimas in my other two collector cars seem to last forever.  I had a 12 volt Optima in the 58, but being out in front like that, it was just too butt ugly. 

Any thoughts?
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

The Tassie Devil(le)

I would be questioning the batteries.

From what I have heard on the grapevine, the modern batteries are being constructed using re-cycled materials.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

J. Gomez

I will take a wild guess since both are connected to a battery trickle charger that would be the culprit if both batteries are in top shape.  ???  ???

Even if the batteries are made with recycle materials which would be the lead plates, they would last a few years at least some of the name brand ones.

If the batteries are fully functional and they keep a charge with no internal drainage the trickle charger should keep the battery fresh. However if the batteries are weak or do not keep the charge for some reason the trickle charger won’t help maintain the batteries.

Not sure if you have an indicator in your charger that shows when the battery is top-off and switches to “float-mode”. If it switches between charging and float every few minutes/hours it is an indication the battery somehow is not keeping the charge, or if the float-mode never turns on.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

TJ Hopland

Is your 'charger' listed as a charger or a maintainer?   If its just a 1.5 amp charger I could see that shortening the life.   Nicad are about the only type of batteries that will tolerate a small constant charge. 

The difference between a typical charger and maintainer is the maintainers have 'brains' that monitor the voltage and only charge when needed.   Some chargers can have that feature too but most don't. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76eldo

Sears has a battery maintainer that is $20 when on sale.  I have also bought the ones from Harbor Freight that are under $10.00 and they work well too.

The maintainer is different from the charger which when left on for 6 months straight can cook a battery at 1.5 amps constant.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

57 Eldo Seville

I have a couple of Schumacher 1.5 trickle chargers and they are charger/maintainer units.
Dave Morris
CLC#28497
1957 Eldorado Seville
2020 CT5-V

Steve Passmore

I think it's the chargers too Tony. I have a 'Maintainer' on my 2007 Harley. It has the original battery on it. I hardly ride this bike any more but the battery is in tip top shape every time I start it.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

T J Lankes

This is the charger to have  https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-864-Automatic-Battery-Charger/dp/B006G14FK8

This charger may be able to restore your batteries.

Highly recommended in reviews.  Jay Leno's garage uses them. see video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdZES5CQz9I

Best of luck.

Dan LeBlanc

We used to use these on our slow moving expensive batteries in my Exide days.  They are really the cat's meow.  I got one out of the dumpster when it was returned from a customer who was exiting the parts business.  They never even opened it but it was the old model, so we couldn't send it to a new customer.

I've brought a couple of batteries back from the dead with it:

https://www.pulsetech.net/pro-12-redipulse-12-station-battery-maintenance-unit-gsa-dod.html/
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

bcroe

As others said, use a maintainer, not a charger.  The maintainer will cut off at
a safe voltage.  Even the Horrible Fright ($5 on sale) maintainers will do the
job, providing you don't have a heavy drain that overpowers them.  After
some days a voltmeter should show voltage in the 13s and not declining at all. 
Bruce Roe

Jon S

I use a Schumacher 2 amp trickle charger periodically (once a year) and it has 3 lights - red for power, yellow - charging and green for float mode. I do check the water level every 6 months and bring it up to the split ring if needed. I typically get 10 years out of my batteries and as I've posted many times, two of them are lifetime warranty J C Penny. I hope they don't go out ofbusiness!
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Previous posts mentioning NOT to use a "charger" are correct.
The charger supplies a constant trickle of current whether your
battery needs it or not.  This causes over charging and over heating.
That's the worst thing you can do and shortens battery life considerably.

The name brand of a good "maintainer" is called Battery Tender.
They can be purchased on line or at some Auto stores.  They run
about $40 but are worth it.  A computer chip automatically changes
between "charge" and "float" modes.  Nothing for you to do but
connect it according to instructions.

I have them on 5 different vehicles constantly that I do not regularly
drive.  My batteries last 5 years+

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

TonyZappone #2624

I think I will put timers back on these Schumacher 1.5 maintainers, chargers whatever they are.  Do one hour a day and see what happens.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

bcroe

Quote from: TonyZappone #2624 on April 28, 2017, 01:43:16 AM
I think I will put timers back on these Schumacher 1.5 maintainers, chargers whatever they are.  Do one hour a day and see what happens. 

If left connected, be sure there is no back flow into the maintainer when off.  The
Horrible Fright maintainers definitely will run your battery down if left unplugged
from the AC line long enough.  Bruce Roe

dochawk

A "dumb" charger will constantly apply voltage--enough to cause flow into the battery, which will cause constant release of heat.

Batteries have internal resistance.  Basically no flow when disconnected, but the slightest difference in voltage applied at the terminals, higher or lower, will cause current flow, and thus heat dissipation.

hawk
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)