News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

I found my luck! (maybe)

Started by Roger Zimmermann, May 02, 2017, 12:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Zimmermann

As you probably remember, last November I sold my '56 Sedan de Ville, after owning it for 34 years, because I wanted something less old. I was happy to have a car less and lot of space in the garage! And, to tell the truth, I did not search for a replacement car.
Some time ago, Brian Faull (he is on this forum on a regular basis) asked me what kind of car I would like to have. My response was that a '69 to '72 de Ville would be fine, either as a 4-door or Coupe, not white or black. I forgot about this until recently as Brian sent to me a link to a Craiglist: there was a 1972 Coupe, with less than 20'000 miles for a decent price. The car was green, with a green vinyl top and green trim. I'm not especially a fan of green (politically and with the color), but this green was after all good looking.
Usually I don't do phone calls because my English over the phone is not the best but sometimes...I had to do it. I phone to the seller, had a good impression and finally, I spent also a phone call to Brian.
After a while, when the dust was down, I decided to buy the car and let ship it to Brian for an inspection as well as repairs if needed. Sure, the transport from Florida to Pennsylvania was not cheap, but doing repairs in Switzerland costs twice what I will have to spent at Brian's place.
Yesterday, I got document from the seller like copies from titles, the window's invoice and the car broadcast showing the options. The only option I'm missing is the trunk lid pull-down. I can live without it...

Yesterday, Brian sent me a list of issues he found. Well, a car with a low mileage does not automatically means a perfect vehicle! And this car has some issues like brakes (I'm not surprised), dried bushings and less pleasant, perforating rust at some places. Well, after all that car is 45 years old!

When Brian will be ready with the numerous repairs, the car will be ready to make a long journey to Switzerland. I will report here how things are going.

Oh, by the way: with all that green, the car has a new name: Popeye.

1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Lexi

Roger congratulations! Wish you and your new/old car all the best. Do keep us posted! Clay/Lexi

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks Lexi! It will be an adventure, that's sure.
I'm trying to add more pictures, it seems that the other ones I have are too large. Some more work...
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

A new try to publish pictures.
The previous ones are when the car was loaded in Florida to go to Brian. These are at Brian's place.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Dan LeBlanc

Wow.  Looks great.  This shade of green is very nice.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks Dan! That shade, Sumatra Green Irid. code 44 will not be seen very often.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Steve Passmore

Not a lover of green either usually Roger but that combination is very pleasant. Low mileage gems like this never turn up in our European countries.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Steve Passmore on May 02, 2017, 01:02:35 PM
Not a lover of green either usually Roger but that combination is very pleasant. Low mileage gems like this never turn up in our European countries.
That's right Steve, but sometimes cars with more miles/km are technically in a better condition than Popeye!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Lexi

While I am also not a huge fan of green, that is a lovely shade. I would not kick that car out of my driveway! Love it! (and I would not change the color either). Clay/Lexi

Gene Beaird

Quote from: lexi on May 02, 2017, 01:18:55 PM
While I am also not a huge fan of green, that is a lovely shade. I would not kick that car out of my driveway! Love it! (and I would not change the color either). Clay/Lexi

Same here!  Nice!  I'm guessing the rust is underneath the car?  The painted bits look to be in very good shape!

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

bcroe

It looks good and will far out perform the 56.  Serious brake work is part of
every purchase here, along with the timing chain and tires.  An HEI could
be fitted, change hoses, and don't be surprised if it needs a new radiator. 
If there is any hint of a transmission problem, get it out and install a $30
soft gasket/seal kit. 

good luck, Bruce Roe

Roger Zimmermann

The rust is at the lower part of the front fenders. Somebody in this forum already wrote that cars from that time were more rust prone as before.
The radiator was already replaced with an aluminum one; maybe it's good, maybe not. I'm not a fan of aluminum but, for the moment, I'll leave it. Of course, old hoses, wheel cylinders, master cylinder (leaking) will be replaced. I suppose that the car still had the OEM brake fluid...
I asked Brian to have a look at the timing chain & gears and tires will be replaced.
About the nylon covered gear: I know at least 2 1972 cars in Switzerland with a rather high mileage; the people are not aware of that problem and (touch wood), there is no problem for the moment.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

dochawk

1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Roger Zimmermann

That project took too much time; I'm most probably the most responsible for that, asking too much. Anyway, after more than 2 years, the car is ready to be shipped to Europe. The shipper will (I hope so) take the car away next week.
The wheelcovers are in the trunk for the transport. The hood ornaments with be removed too before shipping.
I will arrive just in time for the season!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Jay Friedman

Good luck, Roger, with your new car. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Roger Zimmermann

1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Bill Young

Stunning car in remarkable condition. I am a fan of the color combination and would have ordered it that way. I Love the 1972 Coupe and Sedan DeVille's.

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Bill Young on May 12, 2019, 09:37:08 AM
Stunning car in remarkable condition. I am a fan of the color combination and would have ordered it that way. I Love the 1972 Coupe and Sedan DeVille's.
Thanks Bill! The underside was not so nice. A lot of work was needed t have it presentable and that it could pass the Swiss inspection prior to licensing.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Gerard Zenklusen

Hallo Roger !

Glückwunsch zum " neuen " Cadillac !!!  Hoffe den 72;er beim nächsten Grand European zu sehen.

Gruss aus dem Jura Gérard
1958 Coupe De Ville
1992 Fleetwood Sixty Special