News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

The High Cost of Chrome!!-UPDATE

Started by johnregrus, May 04, 2017, 04:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillac ken

John:  So what shop ended up doing them for you?

Ken  in FL

INTMD8

Beautiful! Your hard work has paid off. :)

Roger Zimmermann

It would be interesting to see the 4 moldings before plating, just to have an idea what the plating company did. Anyway, those moldings are very well looking. Mine are not so nice...
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

dochawk

I think I'm going to give up law and build some chroming equipment . . .

I doubt I'll redo the chrome on my '72 rear bumper:  it's mildly rippled, presumably from the annihilation of a datsun or some such.

Seems like it would be like taking a veteran's scars . . .

Now, if it wasn't from the land yacht era, it might be a different story.

Go ahead, Datsun: make my day!

:)

hawk
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

z3skybolt

Quote from: johnregrus on May 26, 2017, 12:03:33 PM
To reply to Cadillac Ken the shop was Paul's Chrome Plating in Evans City, PA

Interesting to note.  Paul's chrome plating did all the chrome on my 1940 LaSalle back in 1998. I have the receipts. 19 years later the chrome is still show quality perfect.

Bob
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

Seville1957

I can relate,

I was quoted $6000 to do the rear pot metal bumpers on my 1957 Seville!

Seville1957

Quote from: WTL on May 09, 2017, 07:42:25 PM
I have to believe that some day technology will provide a close alternative to chrome. 

In the meantime, I have a small patch of Mylar film over a booboo area on my front bumper.  It doesn't stick out too bad, but it's just a placeholder until I can buy a decent used center piece. 

I bought a hood lip cheap, but it had very worn chrome.  I'm thinking it might actually look better if I polish it down to the pot metal.  Maybe then clear coat it.

I agree,

the alternative will either be in the form of a wrap or spray chrome. There are some spray chrome technology out there but don't know if it will stand up to the conditions of harsh weather climates.