News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Battery Originality

Started by Whit, May 10, 2017, 07:01:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whit

On the question of 'originality' and the battery. I have a 1960 Biarritz that I'm finishing restoring to be as 'original' as 'practical' (underline practical). I wonder about the battery...do I use a modern high quality battery...a fake tar-top battery...a real tar-top battery (hard to come by)??? I don't know how judges grade these cars, and I don't know if it will ever be graded, but if so how will the battery be treated scoring wise? I'm sure Chuck Patton will check in and maybe others.
Just curious...

Whit

Dan LeBlanc

Your car should be equipped with a group 60K Delco battery.

I got mine from Restoration Battery (www.restorationbattery.com).  These guys use an AGM battery inside of a reproduction case unlike their competitors who still use a flooded lead acid battery.  The Restoration Battery will not leak acid like a conventional battery so your battery tray and any surrounding finishes will be preserved.

A non-authentic battery is subject to a 3 point authenticity deduction.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

59-in-pieces

What Dan said.

If you don't drive the car much - like winter - you can get the "right tender" to keep it charged.

Size: 13” long X 6-1/2” Wide X 9” High.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Chuck Swanson

http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/  w/ free date code.  All have AGM inside as I have not seen the ones where you add distilled water in 8+ years.  AGM inside.  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: Chuck Swanson on May 10, 2017, 10:38:54 PM
http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/  w/ free date code.  All have AGM inside as I have not seen the ones where you add distilled water in 8+ years.  AGM inside.  Chuck

These guys have the 1957-68 battery incorrectly as a group 27D or a 60K.  The 60K is the correct battery for your application.

Group 27 footprint does not fit the battery tray as well as the 60K
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Scot Minesinger

I have used those batteries in Cadillacs I drive frequently (4k miles per year) and they last a year and half, same experience as my friends.  After about three of these batteries, I went back to the standard modern normal battery that is all black and most resembles an original (no bright green ones!). 

Frankly, I'm done installing inferior mechanical components that are made to resemble period correct and intended more for show than use.  This includes hose clamps, tires, batteries and the like. 

If this car is on and off a trailer than the antique battery will be fine.  If it is meant to be driven and you don not mind buying a new one every 18 month then the antique battery will be fine.  By the way these require a special charger, and cannot be jumped.  While a jump will start the car, the battery is ruined and will be worthless in a month.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Whit

Thanks to all for the input and lead. I will check it out.

Whit

D.Smith

I got one from Restoration Battery for my 1961 Cadillac. 
Not cheap but it looks great.   I've had it almost two years with no troubles.

TonyZappone #2624

I went to Walmart and bought the MAXX27 battery for my '58 convertible (3 year full warranty,5 year pro rata over 800 cold cranking amps).  I stripped off all the Walmart stickers, stuck on one of the authentic size DELCO stickers from the battery guy in Ohio.  Works for me, looks half way right, won't fool a judge.  I could care about the judging.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Jon S

I don't have my car judged and bought a J C Penny Lifetime battery back in 1975. They keep replacing it with an Interstate Group 27 for free. I get 9-10 years out of each battery. To keep it looking nice I had some individual letters made for it and bought an incorrect topper. I'm happy:
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

David Greenburg

Wow! A lifetime battery. Not likely to see that deal again!
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

The Tassie Devil(le)

Probably thought that nobody would keep their vehicles that long, and most people would have sold their batteries with the car.   Or simply forgot about the lifetime guarantee.

I purchased my wife a sewing machine in 1991 for the princely sum of $3000.00, and it came with a factory deal that I could recoup the purchase price in ten years time, but had to have the receipt, and had to be claimed within a three month period.

Well, in 2001, despite the company changing suppliers, they honoured the deal, and the $3,000.00 went to helping my wife and I get to tour USA and Canada, which included attending the Dearborn GN.

Turns out that another attendee from Australia had the same deal, and also attended the GN.

I wonder how many buyers of the same sewing machine simply forgot to claim.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

INTMD8

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on May 10, 2017, 07:38:37 AM

I got mine from Restoration Battery (www.restorationbattery.com).  These guys use an AGM battery inside of a reproduction case unlike their competitors who still use a flooded lead acid battery.  The Restoration Battery will not leak acid like a conventional battery so your battery tray and any surrounding finishes will be preserved.

Very nice! I need to get one of those.