News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

power steering squeal only when ac on

Started by lentel, May 20, 2017, 02:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lentel

my 74 sedan deville has started to squeal at the power stearing pump only when the ac is on  and if give it gas or turn the steering whee, this has been going on for about 7 months and gotten worse. If the ac is off not a bit of noise.  The ac was having a problem so i had the compressor replaced and system flushed...noise began before this replacement and hoped it would help...but no
Power steering pump squeals...belt new and tension correct...whats going on....do i need a new pump?
But it works just great and no noise if the ac is off....so i dont know what to do...turn on the ac and it screams
please any help
thanks

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sounds like the belt is either too loose, or possibly the actual pulley is worn out.

Also, the incorrect V angle on the sides.

As yuo say it is okay when the AC is off, indicates to me that the extra pressure of the AC pump turning is possible stretching the belt on the AC to Crank Pulley section, and thereby creating a "loosness" or slack at the Power Steering side.

These single belts need to be tight.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

Agree, it is most likely a loose belt.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

TJ Hopland

Is this got the single belt or double?   74 could have been either way from the factory.     If its the single are you sure you have the correct width belt?   The dual belts were narrow and the single was much wider.    If the belt is riding deep in the pulley it may be too narrow.   Look up the belt for a 75, those were all the wide singles so there should not be any options. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

lentel

The belt is tight..i got the power steering pump pulled all the way tight as far as it will go on the bolt slide adjuster.
Yes you are correct 74 came with a single and double belt as it was a transition year....mine is a single belt...(they also switched away from a points distributor mid way through the year....mine is an early one and has points as well as the single pulley)

My belt is thin and sits deep...i believe this is the same model of belt i have been buying all these years and it never squealed..but maybe i bought one that was thinner for the double pulley....i will try one for a 75 deville and also check at the store if there is a difference in what they have listed for 74 year size belts

thank you all for your responses...i so greatly appreciate it
if you have any other ideas please share
thanks so very much...i love this car and it is driving me crazy i cant make it work correctly

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Just because the pump is all the way over doesn't mean it is tight enough. As you say, the belt could be thinner than your others. Manufacturing tolerances could allow it to be a little thinner, or the V could be at slightly the wrong angle.
Also, once it starts to slip it will continue. There will be a little rubber left in the pulley which will make is slicker and the circle (no pun) continues.
I would suggest a new belt but also clean the pulley groves (all of them).
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sounds like you do have the wrong belt.

The proper belt will sit flush with the top of the pulley.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

lentel

thank you guys very much.... you were exactly correct... i guess when i replaced the belt the last time the auto parts store sold me the belt that was thin and correct for the two pulley system...not the one pulley system...
I saw on the computer at oreilley and next to the number for the belt i currently have there was a little (2) in parentheses...i asked them if that belt was for 2 pulley ac.. they didnt know but they did say there is another belt for it that was thicker.....well sure enough i got the thicker belt this afternoon put it in...it sits flush with the pulley and works perfect...no more squealing...works as it did before i did the belts a long while back
thanks very much you guys are great...i am so thrilled....was starting to think i couldnt correct this issue
thank you again

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: lentel on May 21, 2017, 01:13:28 AM
....was starting to think i couldnt correct this issue

Anything can be corrected. All it takes is time and money!!
Hummm, maybe that's why I still have so much to do???
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Julien Abrahams

@ Jeff: you are so right!
And usually you have one or the other. The times that I had both can be counted on one hand  ;D
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett