News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cruise control 1978 Eldorado

Started by dennisoates, May 22, 2017, 05:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennisoates

My cruise engagement switch left of the steering column , only has a single button on the end of the shaft. My owners manual say there is a slide switch to accelerate. Has a previous owner changed this to a single button? It appears to be factory because it even has a red cap to match the interior color.

bill06447

My 78 has the identical setup as yours, though the end is blue to match my interior.

Bill

TJ Hopland

I don't know why they call it a slide switch but that style does have 2 stages to the switch.   I didn't think they had an actual slide switch till they got rid on the on off on the dash and moved that to the stick too.   

The just button with resume I think that started in 72 or 73 maybe?   Notice the notch cutout in the back?   If you press it off center so your finger tip hits that notch that is the resume.   If you hit it in the center so it goes in all the way that is the set. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

dennisoates

I'm just glad to hear its original. equipment.  The owners manual even shows a pic of a slide switch , I have never noticed a mistake in a owners manual in my life. but here it is. I'm sure many customers called the dealership inquiring about this.

TJ Hopland

Interesting.   I think 78 was the change year for the cruise control.  Some 78's still had the gearbox version and others got the new electronic sensor version.   The switches would most likely be different between the versions because one was mechanical and the new version used a module.   My 78 was the electronic version but I don't remember what the buttons looked like.    I wonder if part of it was Eldorado vs other models in 78?    The rest of the cars got the new blade fuse boxes and some other electrical changes in 78 but the Eldo didn't presumably since the new downsized model was coming out in 79.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bcroe

Those changes often get phased in first on certain models or brands, than
across the board.  My 77 Olds has the blade fuse.  The 25030620
electronic cruise control module is listed for 77-79.  Bruce Roe