News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Stopping or fixing Dry rotting threads

Started by 64\/54Cadillacking, May 25, 2017, 03:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

64\/54Cadillacking

Hey guys, I have a quick question regarding dry rot.

Is there a way to stop the process from getting worse? And what are the causes?

The original front seats in my 64 are in decent shape for their age, the top half of the drivers seat threading is starting to slowly peel away. I want to keep the seats in as nice condition as possible, and was wondering if all I need to do is re-thread it to stop it from opening up?

I am also worried that one day the original headliner might peel away, so is there anything recommended to stop the process? I have a car cover over the car, but it's not stored in a garage, will extreme heat do it?

Thanks!
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

David Greenburg

I can't speak to repairing, but as for protecting, I recommend getting a plush, high quality "bath sheet" (those are the really big ones), and using it (folded) as a seat cover of sorts over the driver's seat when the car is not being displayed etc.  Bed Bath and Beyond, for example, has a broad range of colors available.  Also, watch what's in your rear pockets. And when landing your caboose in the driver's seat, make contact with the seat back first, and then the bottom so you are not unnecessarily sliding your bottom on the seat bottom ( which presumably has more wear than the seat back.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

35-709

I would check with an auto upholsterer about helping to prevent the seat stitching from rotting away but I don't think you are going to have much luck.

Headliners before 1964 and up to I would say sometime in the '80s were hung in an entirely different way than the "glue to foam" method you are worried about.  The foam rots with age and the headliner falls, really poor idea that they can't seem to get away from --- too cheap to change I guess.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Steve Passmore

Quote from: 35-709 on May 25, 2017, 07:59:35 PM
I would check with an auto upholsterer about helping to prevent the seat stitching from rotting away but I don't think you are going to have much luck.

Headliners before 1964 and up to I would say sometime in the '80s were hung in an entirely different way than the "glue to foam" method you are worried about.  The foam rots with age and the headliner falls, really poor idea that they can't seem to get away from --- too cheap to change I guess.

I agree, that ridiculous 'glue to foam' idea comes back to haunt everyone.   Many early ones I have been asked to repair are actually glued to compressed fibreglass which tries to revert back to fibre and the cloth drops off. The earliest cars I have seen using this are from the 70s so I think the 64 would be hung in the conventional way on bows.
As for the seat stitching rotting? I have never seen a way to reverse that.  If it was leather the hide food might have helped but with cloth any substance you apply will soak in and mess up the seat material.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

The Tassie Devil(le)

Once the stitching has started to rot, I think the best way to fix it is to simply un-stitch the upholstery, and re-sew it all back together with good thread.

If the basic material is good, as in no torn seams, then it should stitch, as long as you have the sewer use the same length stitches, and not cutting in new holes.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Classic

The best thread currently available is PTFE (PolyTetraFlouroEthylene).  SolarFix is one of the brand names, but there are others as well.  Available in many colors.  Use Google to find sources for this thread.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

Jay Friedman

I don't know ' 64 upholstery, but for the past 30 years I've used an ordinary old bed sheet of a compatible color on the driver's seat of my '49.  It's done the job perfectly--the area that holds up my "caboose" is still in good shape--though I agree that a "plush, high quality bath sheet" from Bed, Bath and Beyond would probably be better.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

64\/54Cadillacking

Ok thanks guys for the tips. It's not too bad right now, but it's enough to have me concerned. I can try to re-sew it to see if it helps. The headliner is of the bow type when they were still done well. But over time, the threads of those can dry rot.

The seats are more of a concern just because they are more prone to wear and tear and the sun beating on them.

I'll go grab some of those bed sheets from bed bath and beyond, sounds like a great idea!!
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞