News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1978 Eldorado CAX wheel weights

Started by dennisoates, May 26, 2017, 09:48:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennisoates

I have full wheel covers and need a bunch of CAX wheel weights to get my wheels balanced?   ( the new weights won't work because the hub caps are in the way) any suggestions as to where I can get some for all four wheels. Should these be spin balanced? thanks

TJ Hopland

You used to sometimes be able to find a shop that had the weights but apparently there were incentives to get rid of old stock lead weights so most shops got rid of them and didn't bother to replace them with new stock because of low demand.    A smaller independent shop may still have them but those places can be hard to find. 

You can find them online but the problem is they are sold in boxes of each weight so to get a good assortment you would have to buy several boxes so the cost really starts to add up especially when you throw in freight.    One way around that would be to order a box of the large weights and cut them down if you needed smaller weights.   Since the wheel cover covers em it should not really matter that they will look a little funny from being cut.  Issue there is you have to have a shop willing to deal with the extra hassle. 

Finding a shop that can actually properly balance a tire these days is also a challenge.  They all seem to have fancy super computer balance machines that any idiot can operate so that is who they hire to operate and possibly also maintain the machines. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

joecaristo

If you don't want to use the CAX weights, tell the tire guy to "stagger balance" the tires. Using weights only on the inside of the rim.
Joe Caristo

TJ Hopland

Quote from: joecaristo on May 26, 2017, 11:18:35 AM
If you don't want to use the CAX weights, tell the tire guy to "stagger balance" the tires. Using weights only on the inside of the rim.

I have had 2 different shops try that on my 73 over the years with terrible results.  I'm not saying it wasn't the shops fault but they were able to successfully balance tires on other cars so they weren't completely inept.    Something about the suspension geometry and wheel offset makes these cars extremely sensitive to balance issues.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

35-709

I have my shop use stick-on weights mounted on the inside of the wheel at about the wheel's center line.  That is the method I use for the wire wheels on the '35, and used for my '73 Caribou while I owned it.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

TJ Hopland

I have wondered how much difference the exact location of the weights makes?   Maybe it depends on where or why its out of balance in the first place?

The Caribu was based on a C (rwd) car wasn't it?    The offset on the Eldo wheel is more like a dually truck which at the time was pretty rare.   From the looks of things its pretty much the norm nowdays and tape on the inner part of the wheel seems to work on those so I don't know why it doesn't seem to work on ours?

I just checked the place I got some weights from last time and they are no longer in business.   Also checked a few online places I had noted and they don't have em anymore.    I had thought there was some new production lead free ones available but I see no evidence of any such thing now.   Maybe everything was old stock and those that have some are not parting with them at the moment?

Are their any regulations against selling or installing lead weights?   I know its discouraged but is it still legal to manufacture, import, sell, and install them?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

TJ Hopland

All Tire was one I had bookmarked.   Not that long ago I believe they had several sizes available now it looks like they are down to just the large 3oz ones which could be cut down.   It says they are lead so it must be old stock,  better get em while the getting is good.

Does anyone like USA Parts, Caddy Daddy, or OPG have em?  If not that would seem to imply that stuff like tape works or everyone has a stash. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have the CAX weights in stock, but the postage back to USA would be a killer.

I have 2oz, 2.5oz and 3oz weights if required.

But, there is nothing wrong with using the stick-on weights.   Just make sure you clean the grime off the area before sticking.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon