News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1978 Eldorado door lock problem

Started by dennisoates, May 26, 2017, 09:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennisoates

they work good except sometimes i hear them chattering (lock and unlock sound) when I go down the road. where should i look? thanks

TJ Hopland

My first thought would be to look at the wiring harness where it goes into the door.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

joecaristo

Does your car have the illuminated entry option and the automatic door lock feature? (doors automatically lock when you put the car in drive) if so they work in unison and if the door handle button becomes sensitive it will trigger the door locks. Check it -----With the car not on or idling and doors closed, go to your door handle and grab the handle. If you interior lights go on without depressing the handle button that is your problem. Also you can try and just touch the button without pushing it in. If you interior lights go on they shouldn't. FIX----The Door handle thats sensitive has a wire thats not shielded or a contact thats touching metal.  The handle has to come off to investigate.
Joe Caristo

TJ Hopland

Quote from: joecaristo on May 26, 2017, 11:29:07 AM
Does your car have the illuminated entry option and the automatic door lock feature? (doors automatically lock when you put the car in drive) if so they work in unison and if the door handle button becomes sensitive it will trigger the door locks.

Thats a interesting sounding system.   When did that become an option?   Also sounds like lots could go wrong.  Did it use a special park neutral switch? 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

joecaristo

Auto Door Locks became an option in 76. Yes they use a differant neutral safety switch. Thats the only problem I ever had with this feature. Its kind of cool when you put the car in drive and all the doors lock.
Joe Caristo