News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1968 Eldorado very good mech./needs body, interior. Los Angeles area.

Started by mikanystrom, May 29, 2017, 05:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikanystrom

Hi everyone,

I have decided to sell my project Eldorado.  It's a 1968.  I feel it would be best off going to someone customizing it (maybe CLC isn't the right place to sell a car like this), owing to the condition of the car.

In short, the car is mechanically in very good shape.  Cosmetically it is rough in some ways.

The previous owner said it had had a recent engine rebuild, and I have no reason to doubt that.   It runs very well, and gets an honest 14 mpg cruising at 75 mph.  It also leaks no fluids of any kind, which as I am sure we all know is unusual.

The rough parts are: the car needs a whole new interior.  There are some rust holes in the cowl, that led to consequential rust holes in the floor under the driver's legs.  Nothing structural that I can see.  Also some rust in the rear passenger-side floor and in the corners of the trunk.

The body is painted in black primer and has no visible dents (the primer would hide minor dents).  I scratched it a little once but I don't think it's more than a paint scratch.

A lot of stuff on the car is non-original.  Recently rebuilt brakes with hoses where I know stock would have metal, for example.  Wrong color on parts.

That was the bad stuff.  Now for the good stuff.

I bought this car for $2,500 as a restoration project.  I overpaid, for sure.  But I persevered for a while, and being an engineer, I worked on the mechanicals and electricals.  Rebuilt the carb, fixed the transmission, put new hoses and compressor on the A/C (it is charged with RedTek 12 and blows cold if hooked up---the controls I had rebuilt by the Cadillac A/C expert back east but haven't installed yet).  Got the Camaro headlight cover actuators and converted them to fit the Eldorado, so those are brand new and work perfectly.  Replaced all vacuum hoses.  New exhaust system (dual).  New radiator.  New shocks (all six).  Installed an electric pump and tank for the rear air suspension---leveling system works.  Ignition system upgraded to Pertronix.  I am probably forgetting endless little details.  But the bottom line is, the car runs "close to new" if you get in it and drive.  And the ride and handling are extremely smooth with the new shocks.

The reason I am selling the car is that while I was repairing this thing, I ran across another '68 Eldorado that had more mechanical issues but cosmetically was better.  More up my alley.  I bought it and don't need two '68 Eldorados.

The car is 98% complete: some interior trim is broken and there are perhaps two pieces of chrome missing.  All the expensive pieces are there (e.g., the ELDORADO letters that cost an arm and a leg).  All the hubcaps are there, almost all the exterior chrome (in the trunk right now).  The filler pieces behind the hood are NOT missing.  They are in the trunk.

As far as options go, car was originally gold, I believe, with saddle interior.  T&T wheel, climate control, AM-FM radio.  Nothing special for a '68 Eldorado (but I do wish my other car had the T&T).

I would love to get $3,500 for it (which still puts me back about $1,000 given all the work I did & had done, and that's basically not counting labor), but I think that might be optimistic on my part and will entertain any reasonable offer.  Don't need to sell immediately but do eventually need the parking space.

Parked in Pasadena, Southern California.  Battery kept trickle-charged.  Tires might be low.  Likely to be very dusty.

Clear California title. 4XXXDDD white plate.  Current registration.

Comes with some loose parts.  I have a '68 De Ville wiring harness if you need connectors from it (for example).

Contact mika.nystrom email addresses not permitted.com for more information, to make an appointment to see the car, or to send me a check!

Mika
1970 De Ville Convertible
1993 Fleetwood Brougham
1970 Series 75 Formal Sedan
1968 Eldorado "Purple Sister"
------------------------------------------------
1976 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 455 4-spd
1999 Camaro SS Convertible 6-spd
1999 Honda CBR 1100XX :-)

mikanystrom

This car is still available!  Please read the part that says "will entertain any reasonable offer"---even if rather less than I would "hope" to get for the car.

If you have any interest, please let me know!
1993 Fleetwood Brougham

mikanystrom

1993 Fleetwood Brougham

mikanystrom

Sold to a gentleman in Antioch, California for $2,400 with new registration!
1993 Fleetwood Brougham

67_Eldo