News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1940 LaSalle 5029 suspension diagram

Started by gary griffin, July 10, 2017, 11:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

I have not found a manual for my suspension and it is a wanderer and likes to buck.  I will be renewing the shocks, and bearings and everything else.  A local CLC member is offering some of the items and I will send shocks to re-builder but need diagram to figure out what else I need to order,  and need specification for alignment after installing the parts.

I have never done an alignment and hopefully I can find an old gray haired guy who has the skills and equipment?

Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Steve Passmore

If it's everything you need it will be.

Rebuild Shocks.
2x Inner bottom arm shafts and bush's.
2x Outer upper eccentric pins and bush's.
2x Outer lower threaded pin and bush's.
King pin kit.
Possibly Track rod ends.
Kit or completely rebuild Centre steering arm pivot.

And the old guy your talking about ;D
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Bill Ingler #7799

Gary: The first thing you do is buy a six pack of beer. As your laying on your back and things are not going well, have a beer and keep saying to yourself  " Yes old cars are fun". Attached are two diagrams from the master parts book. Be vary careful if you disassemble the Steering Connection Link. The link has someplace over 40 parts which have to fitted in order or you have a problem. As you take it apart have a system that will allow you to assemble it back as when you took it apart.  Bill

Jay Friedman

I think in most large metropolitan areas and maybe smaller places too there are still a few shops that can align the front wheels of our cars.  (I think most shops today can only do 4-wheel computerized alignment of front wheel drive vehicles, at least that's the case at the shop who formerly aligned my '49's wheels until they changed their equipment a few years ago.) 

You can probably do the toe-in and possibly the camber by yourself, but to do the caster I think special equipment is needed.  Ask around, particularly in shops that do wheel alignment on large trucks. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Tom Boehm

Hello Gary, I did all that on my 1940 50 series Lasalle. There are more diagrams and how to in the 1939 and 1940 Cadillac-Lasalle shop manual. Reproductions of these books are available. I would get a copy before tackling this job. I got my rebuild kit from Kanter. The only trouble I had was on the inner shaft bushings on the lower A arm. The threads on the male bushings did not match well the female threads on the A arm. I kinda forced it but I think I should have found better quality bushings for that spot. I "restored" the center steering link. I'm not sure if you can get a rebuild kit for that. Jay's advice is good about keeping track of the order in which the parts come out of the tube. I took everything apart and degreased all the parts and the tube. One or two of the springs inside were broken in mine. I took some good ones from a parts car. There are some parts inside the book calls "dust cover" or "cover". These are cup shaped pieces made of very thin metal and they are fragile. Some of mine were torn or wrinkled so again I replaced them from the parts car. I smothered everything with bearing grease before putting it back in the tube. It was messy. There are grease fittings where more can be put in. Remember to put the spring and the dust shield back on the pitman arm, tie rods, and idler arm before putting the ball in the tube. The shop manual tells how to adjust the threaded end plugs. Steele sells a rubber "buffer" that goes on top and bottom of the coil spring.  Steele also sells the correct rubber bushings for the leaf spring shackles in the rear. I think ALLCADS sells reproduction links between the rear shock absorber and the axle.

Bobby B

Yep,
Been there done that, and it costs a small fortune to do it up right. Greasy and messy for the lack of better words. Bill, I've been on my back many times. But rest assure, those aren't the fours words I'm muttering. I usually have it down to two.....:o
                                                                                   Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Paul Phillips

Another good source for the bushings, king pins, steering link, etc  is Rare Parts.  Get a friendly local shop to open an account with them to access wholesale prices. 

King pin bushings really need to be matched precisely to the pins after the bushings are installed, so you may want to use a local machine shop to do this honing for you.

The eccentric design on the upper bushing encourages you to set caster first, then camber.  Definitely helpful to note about where in the range of travel things started with the old parts so you can preset to that point during assembly.  Modern alignment equipment works fine for this, the key is an old time tech who understands how the Cadillac design works.

Agree with Bobby - this job is messy, expensive, and comes with a fair degree of frustration!
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

gary griffin

Luckily I found a reproduced manual for 1919 and 1940 Cadillac's and LaSalle's.

Now I need to find bigger mirrors or oval mirrors. Mine are giving up and sagging and I felt they were too small also.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver