News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1955-Bypassing heater core

Started by Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373, July 21, 2017, 04:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Getting close to first start. I bypassed the heater cores for now by just running a line from outlet to inlet.
However it is an ugly line up over the top of things.
Any reason I can't just plug the outlet and inlets to keep it clean? With that pump design there is no reason water has to go out and then back in, is there?
Thanks
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

J. Gomez

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on July 21, 2017, 04:38:25 PM
Getting close to first start. I bypassed the heater cores for now by just running a line from outlet to inlet.
However it is an ugly line up over the top of things.
Any reason I can't just plug the outlet and inlets to keep it clean? With that pump design there is no reason water has to go out and then back in, is there?
Thanks
Jeff

Jeff,

You can you extend the hoses “L” and “R” side from the “T” above the thermostatic valve which they go over to the heater core inlets out to the water pump inlets.

Just a hint…!   ;)

Both outlets from the heater cores would be heading back to the water pump inlet, you could extend the ones from the “T” back to the water pump instead of making a loops at the heater core. You can use the same route the return line have from the heater cores but the hoses would need to be a bit longer.

Not sure if you are planning at hooking the cores back in the future?

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Yes, I plan to hook them up but for now I just want to bypass them. I hoped to just cap them at the pump to keep it simple. Is there a need to have water flowing out the heater outlet and in thru the inlet?
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

J. Gomez

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on July 21, 2017, 08:32:35 PM
Yes, I plan to hook them up but for now I just want to bypass them. I hoped to just cap them at the pump to keep it simple. Is there a need to have water flowing out the heater outlet and in thru the inlet?

Jeff,

Yes, you can close the outlet at the water pump going to the thermostatic valve and the same on the return line going back on the pump, or you can hook the outlet and inlet together. Either will bypass the line going to the thermostatic valve and to both heater cores.

You can find the water flow under your 1955 Supplemental under the accessories section Fig 16-B-1, I have one similar for the 1956 just slightly different.

Just make sure the return line from the transmission cooler back to the pump is left untouched. ;)

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Mr. Gomez:

I thought only the Eldorado in 1955 (or those cars having that engine) had
transmission oil coolers.  His car likely does not have one.  The shop manual
supplement for 1955 does mention "for those models so equipped" when
the subject comes up.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

No transmission cooler........ At least not that I have found anyway.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Jeff:

If your car had one (which I doubt), it would be easy to spot.  It hangs off the
passenger side of the transmission housing and the water hoses connect to it.
It's hard to miss.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

J. Gomez

Oops sorry 1956 on my brain..!  :P

Corrected above..!  ;)

Just make sure the return line from the transmission cooler back to the pump is left untouched.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Here are a couple of pictures of a non Eldorado, 1955 series 62 convertible trans oil cooler I had on the lift today.

My shop manual says that only the Eldorado & the series 86 commercial chassis had the cooler.

Sure enough the serial #s on the transmission says it's from a series 86.

As you can see I don't have it hooked up to the coolant hoses but you'll get an idea of what the cooler looks like.

Mike   #15848

Mike
Baillargeon