News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Engine Transport Cradle 1964 429

Started by 2manycars, July 24, 2017, 08:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2manycars

Hey gang

I anticipate needing to transport my 64 CDV's engine for freshening up this winter. I am interested in a cradle for transporting it and short term storage of it. Something like this --> https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1068-1/overview/

That one is for a 472 / 500. Is the 429 very different as far as its mountings? Do you all think this cradle might be easily adapted to the 429?
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)

2manycars

I found this --->  https://www.easy-run.net/products/engine-dollies/engine-dolly-w-trans-kit-6-casters-detail

It's a little pricier than generic Chevy stuff, but you can use it on just about anything. In addition to my Caddy, I also have Chevy stuff, and a Y-Block Ford. This thing will hold any of them. I imagine it will hold any Caddy engine as well. Check it out if you do a lot of work on these critters.
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
My Special One:

CEC #20099

Bill Conte: Last fall I bought a 55 engine from John Washburn, in Denver, loaded it in my pickup, & drove to Chicago, with no problems. John has had bad experiences shipping rebuilt engines, via commercial truckers. I built my custom cradle out of framing lumber, chained it to the diamond plate pickup bed, and he was very impressed. Engine is still on cradle, in my shop.

I suggest contacting John if you are shipping an engine.
C Chleboun  # 20099

2manycars

Thought of that, too. I would not ship the engine or trans. It would go in the back of my F150 and I'd drive it to wherever it needed to go. The engine would also be stored in the cradle while work is done on the car. This would be the case for any of my cars.
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
My Special One:

savemy67

Hello Bill,

Those are nice cradles, but I am not sure how effective they will be when you try to put the engine/cradle in the bed of your pick-up.  Do you have a crane/hoist to get the assembly into the bed of the truck?  How will you secure the assembly from shifting when transporting it?  I think the cradles are great for moving engines around the shop - although I would have four swivel casters instead of two - but you will need to think of the extra contrivances needed to secure the load when it is in the bed of the truck (blocking, ratchet straps).  Several hundred pounds of engine on wheels, with a relatively high center of gravity, is a lot of mass in a pick-up bed. 

For practically nothing, you can get some scrap wood, a pallet, and some drywall screws, and build a suitably stable cradle for transporting your 429.  You can add casters when the cradle is out of the truck.  Good luck and be safe.

Respectfully submitted,
Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

z3skybolt

Built this for shipping my 346 for overhaul.  Boxed up and enclosed the entire thing with 1/2 plywood sheeting screwed together and to the pallet.  Cost about $50.00 to build.  The overhaul shop will send it back in the same container.

I shipped via UNISHIPPERS a commercial carrier from Missouri to Ohio.   Then entire thing weighed 1052 lbs.  It was delivered in 2 days. Insured it for $10,000.00  Shipping plus insurance was $431.00.

I will bring it home myself however.  Too valuable to trust to anyone else after "many$$" overhaul.

Bob
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

35-709

MTS ships their overhauled engines upside down on a pallet with the valve covers resting on thick foam pads.  Simple, very stable, drive it around in your pickup with no fear of it overturning.  As has been mentioned, you can put casters at the corners on the bottom of the pallet to help move it around. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

2manycars

Quote from: z3skybolt on July 24, 2017, 06:31:01 PM
Built this for shipping my 346 for overhaul.  Boxed up and enclosed the entire thing with 1/2 plywood sheeting screwed together and to the pallet.  Cost about $50.00 to build.  The overhaul shop will send it back in the same container.

I shipped via UNISHIPPERS a commercial carrier from Missouri to Ohio.   Then entire thing weighed 1052 lbs.  It was delivered in 2 days. Insured it for $10,000.00  Shipping plus insurance was $431.00.

I will bring it home myself however.  Too valuable to trust to anyone else after "many$$" overhaul.

Bob
That looks pretty good. I especially like how you were able to easily enclose it to ship. We have plenty of those pallets at work. I also work with a couple of professional pipeline welders, so building that should be simple. Food for thought! Thank you for the ideas!!
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
My Special One:

carguyblack

The one addition to Bob's photo I made when shipping a Cadillac 365 engine was to put a tire under the oil pan and then strap it down to a pallet with several ties from different directions. I also put thick cardboard over the engine before the straps got winched down tight. Worked very well shipping the engine from Michigan to Atlanta.
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE