News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 Eldorado Brougham

Started by SK903, September 02, 2017, 04:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SK903

For sale on  EBAY. Auction ends in 2 days. Looks like it is in good shape with the vanities for 75K.
2012 BMW 535I
1961 Eldorado Biarritz

V63

I would verify the data plate and vanities if they are of any importance to you.

I flew to look specifically at a white brougham blue interior, in Salt Lake City some 8 years ago. Seller was evasive about providing data plate. It was  Part of a large museum/collection.  The car I looked at, (and suspect same) was a complete color change from earth tones, inside and out. No vanities. The vehicle image setting looks same too.

I do not see where vanities are mentioned as included?  Price is NOT $75k rather the starting bid of higher RESERVE auction.

Seems poor marketing to provide such limited images of a 'holy grail' car.

Caviet emptor, seems appropriate here.

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Mike
Baillargeon

V63

Ha!

First time offered for sale!

When I looked at it it was represented as 'all original'.  We agreed on a price, but in mid air he called me via voice meassage a 20% higher price was now needed.

If you look carefully at the images you can see where blue painted steering wheel is wearing off original brown.

I was dealing with a local SLC reputable 'middle man' whom I continue a friendship with. He was very apologetic about the situation. It was the elderly owner that was 'confused' . My guess is the elderly owner has passed by now...and his family is representing.

SK903

Thank you guys for your input. I think I will just watch to se if it does sell.
2012 BMW 535I
1961 Eldorado Biarritz

Bobby B

I can't believe the asking price on Craigslist  :o....Is that what these cars go for in today's depressed market?  ???  ???  ???
                                                                                                                                        Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

David Greenburg

I visited this collection back in November and saw this car.  Like a number of the cars there, it had a tired looking description/price lying on the seat.  $118k.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

David Greenburg

And here are a couple of pics to supplement the handful on eBay.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Roger Zimmermann

Original interior? I'm not at home presently, so I can't compare with mine. From memory, it seems to me that the seat styling is not correct on this car, there must be more "buttons".
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Bobby B

Quote from: David Greenburg on September 03, 2017, 03:14:50 AM
I visited this collection back in November and saw this car.  Like a number of the cars there, it had a tired looking description/price lying on the seat.  $118k.

It looks like there have been quite a few attempts to sell the car. The prices are all over the map? At least clean up some of the wiring under the hood and get rid of the "crimp" connectors......
                                                      Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Roger Zimmermann

Oh! no 2-4bbl carbs and an alternator instead of the generator. For that price? No idea if the car is still on air, but I doubt. 
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

D.Smith

The only thing worse than an uneducated seller (about the car) is an uneducated buyer. 

Happens all the time.  Someone inherits an old Cadillac and thinks they just hit the lottery.   The only research they do is go to Hagerty or Barrett-Jackson to look up a value.

This is why I tell people to keep their cars colors and trim to match the body tag.  Yes it's your car, but when you die the car is screwed up for the next owner.

mario

"Yes it's your car, but when you die the car is screwed up for the next owner."

Very interesting approach. I should keep my car a color I don't like for the sake of the person that gets the car AFTER I'M  DEAD.
somehow that just doesn't seem right to me.
But what do I know, this was originally black...
ciao,
Mario caimotto

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: D.Smith on September 04, 2017, 09:04:20 AM
This is why I tell people to keep their cars colors and trim to match the body tag.  Yes it's your car, but when you die the car is screwed up for the next owner. 
After I am dead, I don't care what the next owner is going to do to any of my cars.

At least I won't be buried in any of them.

Actually, I don't consider myself a Custodian of anything, as I use, alter and change things to what I want, and enjoy it whilst I can.   The biggest thing is to be able to afford to enjoy stuff.

Cars and the way they were designed was for planned obsolescence by the factories, so they could make and sell more cars.   Henry Ford tried to make the same thing for years, but got left behind, and had to change with the flow.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bobby B

Quote from: mario on September 04, 2017, 10:27:42 PM
"Yes it's your car, but when you die the car is screwed up for the next owner."

Very interesting approach. I should keep my car a color I don't like for the sake of the person that gets the car AFTER I'M  DEAD.
somehow that just doesn't seem right to me.

Ha! ;D...For years my Father used to put plastic seat covers (the ones that look like mini-bubble wrap) on all the new cars he purchased. One day I asked him and his response was..." So when we sell the car the seats will be like new". We suffered sitting in those cold brittle seats in the winter, and our asses stuck to them in the summer. He finally gave in when he bought his last Fleetwood Brougham and when I asked him why he stopped this nonsense, he said "Screw This, I'm going to enjoy my Caddy. Let the next guy worry about it!"  I had no response...... >:D
                                                                                                                                      Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

D.Smith

Quote from: mario on September 04, 2017, 10:27:42 PM
  I should keep my car a color I don't like

But why would you buy a car if you don't like the color?   It's not like there aren't more out there. 

D.Smith

Quote from: Bobby B on September 04, 2017, 11:16:05 PM
Ha! ;D...For years my Father used to put plastic seat covers (the ones that look like mini-bubble wrap) on all the new cars he purchased. One day I asked him and his response was..." So when we sell the car the seats will be like new". We suffered sitting in those cold brittle seats in the winter, and our asses stuck to them in the summer. He finally gave in when he bought his last Fleetwood Brougham and when I asked him why he stopped this nonsense, he said "Screw This, I'm going to enjoy my Caddy. Let the next guy worry about it!"  I had no response...... >:D
                                                                                                                                      Bobby
LOL  I won't disagree with you on that!    I never understood those seat covers either.  Talk about leg burners!

mario

Quote from: D.Smith on September 05, 2017, 08:28:06 AM
But why would you buy a car if you don't like the color?   It's not like there aren't more out there.

the color is easier to change than looking for that needle in a haystack.
i have been looking for many years to find a 49 sedannette and when i find one i am going to pass on it because it wasn't the right color!!! i don't think so. it is faster to change the color than do without the car of your dreams. same thing for the next guy, WHEN YOUR DEAD. he will either buy it or he wont. the body plate will tell him what color it used to be, no mysteries there.
from the responses i have read, i am not alone here.
apparently many have purchased their cars for themselves, not the next owner WHEN THEIR DEAD.
besides, claret mica was not a factory color back in 1949...don't you think it is beautiful?????

ciao,
mario caimotto

gkhashem

Quote from: D.Smith on September 04, 2017, 09:04:20 AM
The only thing worse than an uneducated seller (about the car) is an uneducated buyer. 

Happens all the time.  Someone inherits an old Cadillac and thinks they just hit the lottery.   The only research they do is go to Hagerty or Barrett-Jackson to look up a value.

I actually agree there are many of us out there who would pass over a car repainted in a different color. Sorry, if many feel otherwise. I think David is being accurate about his comments.

Again your car, your money. Just not for me or many others out there. There are many who feel exactly this way.

In fact, there are colors that I can learn to love if the paint is all original and in excellent shape. So I can be open minded as long as the car is original and in excellent shape. I think the rare find and the amazing condition out weigh most color preferences. There are some colors I cannot take no matter what, so I just look for another car.

The point is this only reduces your potential resale value for an excellent condition or a high end collector car IMHO. But this is a point hard to quantify and can be subjective.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

V63

This issue is a growing trend, and it's not in the 'purist' favor.

I see both sides and neither is wrong if it's your car and how it pleases you best.

I used to more of a purist...but I find I can appreciate a car with performance (fuel injection) and air conditioning that actually works.

There are degrees and extremes...but if it's your car and it makes you happy...go for it!