News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cleaning my car

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, September 09, 2017, 07:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I have been cleaning and detailing the '81 Seville in preparation for the Fall Festival later this month. I had spilled some coffee earlier this summer and hadn't been in the back seat since. I noticed some spots that needed to be cleaned and while scrubbing away happened to run my hand under the front RH seat. Low and behold, I pulled out a folder of wheat pennies.

The car had not been used for some twenty years before it was given to the museum from whom I bought it, so who knows how long they had been under the seat? Interesting...
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Chris, unfortunately, there is an excellent and local coin dealer site in the town where we shop, and they had a listing of all the prices that the different mints bring...at least the ones they have for sale. There is maybe "one" that might be worth a little. We're taking the ATS in Tuesday morning to be detailed (wish they'd let me transfer both details I have left to my credit and do the '81.)

In any case, I'll stop after we pick up a car at the dealership and have breakfast and then see if I can get five dollars or so for the folder. Or, I may simply keep it as a curio that goes with the car. Kind of a neat thing to find, though.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

59-in-pieces

Barry,
Take a quick look for one of your pennies stamped "SVDB".
You might be pleasantly surprised - and don't sell.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

The date has to be 1909!!    Or 1914D or 1922 ...
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Guys, thanks for the hints. But as I regretfully said, the local site had all of these values listed, and the holes where the "good" ones were supposed to be are all empty. There is one, I'd have to go through and look again, that might be approaching ten dollars. But you can always hope.

My mom was an office manager in the 1950s and early 60s at a commercial pie bakery. She would sort all the change when it came in and swap it for the new bi-metal stuff from change she had. The silver was to be her grandkids' college fund. Over the years, she had gotten quite a stash and stored it in an old suitcase in her closet.

At this time, my youngest sister lived in Dayton and mom and dad had gone over from Indy to visit her. When they came home, the house had been (neatly) but thoroughly gone through, and the thieves had kept on until they finally found the coins. We were pretty sure that it was the son of Dad's best friend as hardly anyone knew of what mom was doing. Dad figured that he might have mentioned the silver in casual "guy" talk, but we could never prove anything.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville