News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Antifreeze/Coolant for 2001 Eldorado Sport Coupe's 275 HP NorthStar Engine

Started by Matt CLC#18621, September 18, 2017, 01:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt CLC#18621

Hello,

Planning on changing my 2001 Eldorado Sport Coupe's antifreeze this weekend.

Can I use Prestone 50/50 antifreeze/coolant and/or straight antifreeze/coolant diluted 50% with distilled water?

Original engine running strong, just rolled over 118,000.

Thanks,

Matt CLC# 18621

walt chomosh #23510

Matt,
  Dex-cool is the proper coolant for the Northstar. My 09 calls out a 100K mile change,or,5 yrs I believe. One would be wise to follow the factory recommendations for coolant choice not to mention scheduled changes. Northstar motors are going to the junkyards at an alarming rate (early Northstars) due to head gasket failures. Around 06 Cadillac finally got the head gasket (head bolt) issue solved or so it's said.
I change the coolant myself  but some local tire shops have a machine (BG) ($89.99 service) that pumps in new fluid and forces out the old.(Cadillac has such a machine,but more expensive) Any owner of a Northstar should do their homework if they want to continue to own and enjoy their car.(kind of like "a stitch in time will save nine").....walt...tulsa,ok

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Dexcool doesn't have the anti corrosion protection of the older EG based coolants and many have found it results in sludge in the engine over time. Dexcool is non toxic which is why manufacturers started installing it. 

Dexcool is incompatible with EG based coolant but many of the newer coolants are compatible with either.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Matt CLC#18621

Hello,

Obtained a 2001 ESC owner's manual and it indicates to use Dex-Cool diluted with 50% "tap water for the aluminum engine.

I was going to use distilled water but it appears that it is not necessary.

Have a  Great day!

Matt CLC#18621

V63

Check out 'Evans coolant / Jay Leno'

I have been in discussion with rep there. I'm going to start using it, especially in aluminum engines. No corrosion. It also does not develop 'pressure' you can open the system HOT ! It's expensive at $60 a gallon and you do not dilute! In fact a process must be used to remove all (ideally)  water

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on September 18, 2017, 05:18:20 PM
Dexcool doesn't have the anti corrosion protection of the older EG based coolants and many have found it results in sludge in the engine over time. Dexcool is non toxic which is why manufacturers started installing it. 

Dexcool is incompatible with EG based coolant but many of the newer coolants are compatible with either.

Eric:

Dex-Cool contains ethylene glycol therefore cannot be called NON-TOXIC.

This is important to understand due to the danger of pets (dog, cats)
accidently ingesting it.  EG will rapidly kill any pet that is exposed since
it transforms to oxalic acid on digestion and destroys the kidneys.  It would
with people as well, but we're not likely to drink it!  It tastes "sweet" as
glycols do, therefore animals are attracted to it.  One or two teaspoons
is enough to kill an average sized dog.  There is no antidote.

What makes Dex-Cool different is the buffering and anti-corrosion system
that it uses.  It is fully compatible with SOME other EG based types, not all.

Please see the attached:

http://blendtech.biz/antifreeze-information/dex-cool-gm-dexcool.html

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

We've seen lots of corrosion issues related to use of Dexcool in 4.3 Liter S10/S15 trucks, Blazers, Jimmys, Bravadas etc. Overflow tanks look like a chocolate milkshake. Never on engines with the normal green stuff. As far as I'm concerned, Dexcool is terrible to put it bluntly.

gkhashem

Anyone remember what year GM went to this magic stuff Dex-cool?  I seem to have forgot when?
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Sometime in the mid '90s would be my guess.

- Had heard a number of times DXC non/less toxic than regular EG but it appears to be a legend that had gotten some traction...

TJ Hopland

It appeared to be standard by 95 in the trucks.   It could have been something that maybe came in say the Northstars and LT1's at first.

I have several engines that have had dex in em their whole lives and are now pushing 300k and don't seem to have issues.  Certain engines may be more prone to issues and as always maintenance comes into play.  Most stories I hear have also been 4.3 S10 related too.   I also met a pretty serious collector that puts it in everything.   I was pretty surprised to find that out.   He has or at least had at the time 100 ish cars many of them show winners mostly prewar.   I would have expected him to be more of an evans sort of guy but nope.   I have just been sticking with what ever is in stuff when I buy it.    If its still got dex in it I stay with it.   If its been swapped to green at some point or originally came with it I stay with that.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

smokuspollutus

I have always erred on the side of caution and changed coolant at least every 2 years and never had a problem, no matter what it was made of or how long it was claimed to last. Its cheap insurance to keep the inside of your engine as corrosion free as possible. I usually farm this work out because its a messy job and simple enough that even the guy who works at the shop can usually do it without too much aggravation! Worth noting that I have always gotten the car back with green coolant in the reservoir.

gkhashem

I agree same here at least every 3 years if not 2. Also change the $4 thermostat too.

My newest car, the 1964 Olds had everything done but the thermostat by me and guess what I learned today. The darn water outlet bolts are seized. I am spraying some PB Blaster on it for a week straight and hope it comes loose.

If someone had changed it every 5 years or 10 it most likely would have been OK. I bet it has been on the car a long time.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

TJ Hopland

I too usually have it done.   Its not like its hard to do on older cars but but collecting the old stuff then getting rid of it properly is a hassle.  On newer cars getting them properly refilled and then bleed can sometimes be very difficult and require special tools.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason