News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Scottish 56

Started by vwfras, October 02, 2017, 06:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vwfras

Last August we purchased our first Cadillac and since then haven't had any money  ::)

The 56 sedan has since went through a bare metal respray, floor rebuild, interior make over and engine work. The list of jobs to be done is getting smaller but still plenty to be done.
F Breingan

vwfras

A few more photos of our car going through its build.

Floor had a few holes in it so got my mate to fabricate some new panels. Rear end of the trunk was totally rebuilt too.

After that it went to the bodyshop to get taken right back to the bare metal. Body was really good with the exception of 60yrs worth of dents. All straightened out and a ton of paint put on.

New rubbers and runners from Steele Rubber.

While all this was going on I was on the hunt for two rear bumper ended....never had much luck in my searching and ended up getting the bumper ends repaired. Couldn't have asked for a better job by the guys in Classic Car Chroming in Essex.

F Breingan

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Wow, looks great. Keep the pictures coming
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

James Landi

Finding decent  rear bumperettes was nearly impossible 40 years ago!  As you likely already know, the hot exhaust and associated moisture would rot out the interior inserts and then the bumper ends would rot through, replete with the rusting from the inside out.  Another weak point is the front parking light surround that can weaken  and get crushed if the tire jack is used on the front of the car.  I owned two of these short deck '56's with air conditioning, and i absolutely loved them--- they were so quiet and with the tires inflated to factory specs, the car was extraordinarily smooth.  As I recall, several odd engineering issues can cause frustration... the lack of lubrication for the fuel pump (inside mechanical "rocker" arm pivot needs to be packed with grease!)... the windshield wipers that respond to the engine vacuum, the roof mounted a/c ducts that drip condensate on your neck!  Yours is looking so very good... believe me, yours is a worthwhile project.

vwfras

Thanks very much guys, Yeh the bumpers ends hit the bank hard but had to be done. Here are some more photos of it going through the repair process. Hats off to the guys in Essex for doing it.

Funny the list of faults you mention I've changed most of them. Went for an electric fuel pump and the previous owner changed it to an electric wiper. Ive taken the compressor out for the air con for now as the pipes underneath were slightly damaged. I've kept everything for the AC so I can refit it one day further down the line but we don't get too many days in Scotland where you need it. Nice feature to have on a car of that age, especially like the pipes up the back window. I also need to adjust the truck pull down as it seems to unlatch itself as it pulls itself down.

F Breingan

The Tassie Devil(le)

Congratulations on the chrome plater to attempt to get the end re-steeled.

Looks like a real tradesperson tackled the task, and pulled it off beautifully.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

carguyblack

Unflipping believable on the bumper ends!! Back when I first started on the 1956 Cadillacs (3 so far since 1997), your bumper ends would have been a throw aways here in America. My re-chromer, as good as they are taking out dents and straightening bumpers, would have laughed me out of the office if I brought that to him. Just amazing work your guy did and hats off for resurrecting both that part and the car itself!! Thanks for posting. Am eager to see your finished good work on the car.
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

vwfras

Yeh the guy has talent for sure. Have a few bits that still have to get chromed along the way. Here's there Facebook page.

https://m.facebook.com/classicCarChroming/?locale2=en_GB

F Breingan

harascho

Hi Fraser,

nice to see another Europeen '56 Caddy. I am in Germany tackling the same task, a '56 Series 62 Coupe...  lots of rust issues...it was a long way, but finally I got her in primer.
How's your project right now?

cheers

Harald

vwfras

Hi Harald, looks like you've got your hands full with your 56.really like the coupes. Our build had slowed down a bit, the water pump seal had went so we were a few weeks waiting on parts and the engineer shop changing the seals. Etc over. Good job done in the end and it's up and running now. Not using it again until the road salt has cleared.

Next jobs are headlining, exhaust and rear crank seal.

How do you find getting parts in Germany?
F Breingan

vwfras

Some more photos of the our car.
F Breingan

Roger Zimmermann

Interesting to see all those '56 cars restored! I was also my first one, a Sedans de Ville, back in 1982. Without Internet of course, but with a little help from my friend Yann Saunders, the car could be completed in about 2 years.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

vwfras

yeh its one of my favourite years with the Caddys. Have you got a build thread for yours?
F Breingan

Roger Zimmermann

I restored that car between 1982 and 1984. There was no Internet then...
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

vwfras

It's been a long winter, looking forward to getting the Caddy out it's bubble soon.
F Breingan

The Tassie Devil(le)

Great picture.

First time I have ever seen one in actual use.   Thanks for posting it.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

vwfras

With the Scottish weather starting to warm up slightly I've managed to get using the car alot more. Still a few jobs to be done including fitting the headlining and getting an exhaust made for it in stainless. Bit of an oil leak which is top of the list but love driving it when I get the chance.
F Breingan