News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Automotive battery de-rating lately?

Started by TJ Hopland, November 19, 2017, 10:46:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

Anyone else notice that over the last 5 or so years automotive batteries CA and CCA ratings seem to have gone down? 

For an example take the common group 34/78 that fit pretty much everything from the mid 60's into the 2000's for things like trucks without space issues.   5 years ago if you looked at the top the line of pretty much any brand you would see options in the 900-1100 CCA range.   The last few years top of the line is more in the 800 range.   To get 1000cca you have to get into some industrial stuff that is physically to large to fit in a typical passenger vehicle.

Anyone know why?    Is it because there is no more virgin lead?  Recycled lead isn't as efficient?   Or did they get busted for stretching the numbers a bit and now they are using a more realistic testing method?       
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Daddio

I hadn't noticed, but since it's time for a new battery for my wife's Lincoln, I will take notice.
My guess is it's because all new cars offer smaller engines and, combined with their use of synthetic lubricants, cold startups are much easier and require less cranking power.  So smaller, less efficient batteries can be used.
It's probably the car manufacturers effort to reduce cost (and weight) and the battery suppliers comply. 
Mike

1956 Thunderbird
SOLD - 1959 Eldorado Biarritz

fishnjim

It's in marine also.   The ones I used to buy had higher ratings.   Performance doesn't seem to be affected with better technology, so why carry around more?   Some ecominded would say a consequence of global warming, less cold!   Ha, ha.
As noted, it's most probably the cost, light weighting requirements for mileage, better electrical components, and manufacturers requirements.   Sometimes the measurement methods change over time, but I don't know if that's involved here.
It's fairly straight forward to recycle and refine lead, so I doubt recycle has much to do with it, unlike other metals.   Most of the recycled lead comes from batteries, not other uses and contaminates, as does recycling iron.

Classic

This is an old story from 20+ years ago.  There was a high CCA rated battery that was popular.  But ended up having a short life.  After analyzing the failures, it was realized that the ratio of lead to acid was too high (too much lead, not enough acid),  The Group Number of a battery determines its size so increasing the battery size is not possible, so the solution was to reduce the lead and increase acid, but that resulted in a small reduction in CCA.  Don't know if that is the cause of the current CCA declines.

Gene
Gene Menne
CLC #474

TJ Hopland

Interesting.  I don't remember hearing that.  It does seem plausible.    I do seem to recall one time the 'gold' battery I usually buy not being in stock so I got the 'silver' and it lasted forever.   They were both 78's so I bet the gold was the higher rating and had the less than optimum ratio and the silver happened to have that ideal ratio. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason