News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1947 restoration questions

Started by Gary Bakeslee, January 14, 2018, 07:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Bakeslee

Hello Club Members,
This spring should almost bring me to the completion of my long restoration project.  It will have taken me eleven years to do the ground up rebuild of a 1947 convertible.  With this, I have a few more questions and asking opinions from our club members,     

1.Brake fluid- should I use synthetic or standard Dot 3, the old brake system has been replaced.      
   2.Hydraulic fluid- recommendations for the top and window cylinders also the automatic transition. 3.Radiator anti-freeze-I was told that as long as it is green in color would it be  ok to use in an older style cooling systems?
   4.Engine oil-should I use synthetic oils over  the standard 10w20 oil, the engine has been rebuilt?
   5.Battery-is the optima style battery better over a standard            battery?
      My electrical system is 6 volt.
   6.Tires- This is the big question, the yokohama radio ply tires from Diamondback Co. are not available any longer . Their company only as a 2ply/4ply radio tire now, or replace the tires with nylon or polyester tires like the good old days?

When the car is completed I plan on showing it at judged and concours shows and would like the restoration as correct as possible.

All advise on my many questions will be greatly appreciated.
         Gary B.
Gary Blakeslee

G Pennington

1. I used DOT-3 in both the '41 and '53.  Yes, if you spill it it will take the paint off (at least lacquer- don't know how it affects the newer epoxy paints).  The problem with DOT-5 (silicone) is it is non-hydroscopic, meaning any water that gets into the system is not absorbed and will form a "slug" that can boil if it's anywhere near hot brake parts,  resulting in partial or total loss of brakes.  Had this happen to a Corvette I had years ago, although I'll admit I drove the vette a lot harder than my old caddys!
2. I haven't finished the Hydro-e-lectric system in the '53 yet, but I'll be going with ATF- that seems to be the general consences.
3. I use regular old Prestone (yellow-green) in both cars-no problems.
4.  I use Valvoline 20w50 Racing oil.  Has the molybdenum additive your cam needs.
5.  Old style battery works fine in the '41 (6 volt).  If I was going with the 6 V Optima, I would probably run two in parallel.
6.  I put the Dimondback/Yokohama 7.00x15 8 ply radicals on the '41 about a year ago.  They were able to get them even though they were not listed.  Big improvement over the Coker bias-plays that were on the car when I bought it.  Ther radials will get you dinged on points if your car is judged however.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

Paul Phillips

Gary
DOT 3 for brakes is good but you need to flush fluid (not just bleed) at least every 2 years.  To go to DOT 5, you need a thorough flush and to replace all rubber seals.

Agree on the coolant & ATF for the Hydro E Lectrics.

The oil you choose needs to have the right blended additives for a flat tappet engine. Additive bottles are not the same. Remember too that you do not have a full flow oil filter, so frequent changes are mandatory. I personally go with the non detergent philosophy, but others will argue that. Not enough science available to help us make this choice.

An Optima battery will be a CLC points deduct. You will want either a cloaked Optima or a regular battery with Delco marked filler caps.

Any Radials will be a CLC deduct. Get bias ply repro’s and follow the rules in Appendix B of the Judging Manual to avoid deducts. You want bias ply, 7.00 x 15, 4.125 whitewalls.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

Justin Norwood

Does anyone use Amsoil's ZROD oil - a specially formulated synthetic designed for flat-tappet cams? I used it in my '64 Vette with good results.
-Justin

from: https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/gasoline/z-rod-10w-30-synthetic-motor-oil/

"AMSOIL Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil is specially engineered for classic and high-performance vehicles. It features a high-zinc formulation to prevent wear on flat-tappet camshafts and other critical engine components, along with a proprietary blend of rust and corrosion inhibitors for added protection during long-term storage. Z-ROD Synthetic Motor Oil is designed to perform on the street and protect during storage."

1947 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan

47bigcadillac

I filled my 1947 brake system with DOT5 silicone from bell-ray 10 years ago and never touched it anymore besides some topping up every now and then.

I bought the stainless tubes set from inline tube, all new wheel cylinders, hoses and  master cylinder all dry before filling with DOT5.

I would highly recommend DOT 5 . I live in a humid climate and never had issues with it.

DOT 3 in my LaSalle but looking to switch at some point. I change fluid once a year which takes 30 minutes with the pressure system. The LaSalle master cylinder is just under the front floor, very easy to access.

I believe DOT5 was developed for military vehicles sitting for years in humid climates, jungles etc..
R. Brandys

1932 355B  5 pass Coupe,  Fleetwood          
1935 LaSalle Coupe  5077
1947 Club Coupe      6207

35-709

I agree 100% but not everyone shares our opinion about with the use of DOT 5.  I have used it since the 1980s in all of my older cars and restorations with no problems or brake issues.  It does require a little more care when getting rid of air bubbles but well worth it to me.  Certainly helps promote the longevity of the wheel cylinders.

I have heard the military has stopped using DOT 5 but don't know what they use now.   
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2