News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Passenger side rainwater leak 1960 flat top

Started by Mack, January 15, 2018, 08:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mack

Hello everybody,
I'm new here, although I have owned several pre-1965 Cadillacs over past 2-3 decades.

I was in a process of changing a carpet on my latest 1960 flat top when it rained quite hard for day or two. Luckily, the old carpet was already pulled out, and the new one was still waiting for installation.
The passenger side had approximately half inch of water sitting on the floor pan. After draining the water I tried to locale the leak by pouring water in the the cowl grill and other possible spots that may let the water in.

The passenger side broken window seal caused part of the leak, but most of the water seeps in in the bottom of the heater box/duct. The yellow insulation and black cardboard -like material is still wet. By looking at the pictures, the location of rust should confirm the suspected spots for leaks. There seems to be some water coming in also from side of the passenger side foot well. It's all water, no coolant detected.

I wanted to check the drainage channels in the sides of the cowl for possible blockage by leaves etc, but I'm able to see only so far there. I removed the front fender for this purpose, unfortunately that move didn't really help me.

Any idea what is causing the leak thru the cowl? What is the proper way to fix this? How about a "quick" fix?
I'm in Southern California, rain is rare and the car will be a "driver" for next 2-3 years before starting more deeper resto work on it.