News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1970 DeVille Rims

Started by Brubaker, January 17, 2018, 11:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brubaker

I recently joined the ranks of "Classic Cadillac Owner" with the purchase of a 1970 DeVille Convertible.  The car came with a set of rims, which I had powder-coated and mounted with Diamond Back Tires.  When my mechanic went to put the hubcaps on, the caps didn't push-in securely and popped-off.  The mechanic said the rims could be "Chevrolet", not "Cadillac", and that the depth of the rim, where the cap mounts, needs to be deeper.  Can anyone here shed some light on this issue for me?  Are standard 15" steel 1970 Cadillac rims different from other GM rims -- are there different edge-depths out there to accommodate different hubcaps?  My hubcaps are the standard caps that are shown in the product brochures for 1970.  Any help -- enlightenment -- appreciated.  Thanks!

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I actually don't know the answer but I have a 70 as well. A couple of my hubcaps really needed to be manipulated to fit. I had to sort of walk them in place.
It took a while but got them on....... in fact I think I need to adjust my rear brakes. Only way is thru the outside of the drum because some genius decided to not put the hole in the backing plate. I have been putting off adjusting them for the hubcap reason.
It is possible the thickness of the powdercoating may be just enough that they won't fit now.

Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Brubaker

Jeff, the rims were sandblasted to bare metal and finished in a flat black, so the powdercoat certainly could have affected the fit.  The tabs on the back edge of the caps seem to squeeze-in width-wise ok, but don't seem to push back far enough to get a secure grip.  I've considered the "smoothness" of the new finish as well as the build . . . but it was when the mechanic mentioned "Chevrolet" rims (as opposed to another brand) that I started wondering if there really was a significant difference between standard 1970 GM 15" steel rims -- specifically for Cadillacs.  I figured this site was the best place to ask!  Thanks for the reply.

Dan LeBlanc

Did your tire installer use CAX wheel weights?  These are required because Cadillac hub caps grip the outermost flange of the rim.

Using a conventional wheel weight on the outside of the rim will not allow the hub cap to seat properly.  I'm also fairly certain that Cadillac rims are specific to Cadillac because of the way they grip the rim - after all, it's a Cadillac and God forbid you'd see a bit of the rim.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

TJ Hopland

Could it be a drum vs disc wheel issue?   Drum wheels tended to have an extra step in them which is what usually caused the clearance issue with disc and usually changes the way the caps fit. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

My '73 Caribou had Chevrolet rims and the original wheelcovers, they WILL work but might require a little more care when mounting the covers.  I put several thousand miles on the Caribou before selling it.  Agree about the CAX weights, hard to find anymore, I used stick-on weights attached to the inside of the rim at about the center of the rim.  The wheelcovers won't go on properly with the standard hammer-onweights if they are not CAXs and the weights will mess up the cover's clips if you try to bang them on anyway. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Brubaker

Thanks All.  The mechanic used stick-on weights -- and I asked him to put the weights on the backs of the rims.  Thanks for the "God forbid . . ." humor, Dan; I'm still smiling as I write.  If you are certain that Cadillac rims are different from others, then that solves my problem . . . I need to get REAL rims, and get rid of those Godforsaken Chevy parts!

signart

You don't have Chevy rims unless they came off of a truck.
Art D. Woody

35-709

Full size Chevy cars used 15x6 and 15x7 wheels in the '70s and later.  Here are some for sale ---

Wheel Part Number: #1100
1977-1990 Chevrolet Impala

Size: 15" x 7", 5 Lug, 5" Bolt Pattern   $75.00 each             
Call To Order
(800) 896-7467
Finish: Painted
Description: Used 4 Slot Factory Original Steel Wheels
Condition: Like-New
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

cadillactim

Cadillac rims are unique. They have a deeper lip (about 1/2 inch tall) than the other GM rims to accommodate their unique hubcap mounting tabs. Cadillac RWD rims from 1969-76 will work because they have the deep lip. 1977-78 full size Cadillac rims that had regular hubcaps will also work. 1977-79 Cadillac rims that had wire hubcaps may not work because they may not have the deep lip.

Tim
Tim Groves

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Brubaker on January 17, 2018, 11:57:38 AM
Jeff, the rims were sandblasted to bare metal and finished in a flat black, so the powdercoat certainly could have affected the fit.  The tabs on the back edge of the caps seem to squeeze-in width-wise ok, but don't seem to push back far enough to get a secure grip.  I've considered the "smoothness" of the new finish as well as the build . . . but it was when the mechanic mentioned "Chevrolet" rims (as opposed to another brand) that I started wondering if there really was a significant difference between standard 1970 GM 15" steel rims -- specifically for Cadillacs.  I figured this site was the best place to ask!  Thanks for the reply.

1968  Cadillac specific wheels also have the deeper edge flange for where the wheelcovers grab, and will fit.  1967 and earlier might not fit your front discs. I had to stop using my 15x7s (early 1990s Broughams, etc) on my 1968 because I was afraid that the wheelcovers would fly off on the interstate. They didn't but I had my original 15x6s cleaned and power coated.  If you don't fly down the road you might get away with it (have to be careful when putting them on), but then again, the wheelcovers might get away!

I always have them balanced with weights only on the inside. This includes my 1996 Fleetwood. It keeps the wheels much cleaner and free of chrome finish ruining scrapes (the newer cars do not even have a flange for weights).  No driving issues and I "keep up" on the interstate, and usually set the pace.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillactim

Just be careful if you use 1968 rims. They may interfere with the 70 calipers, but I'm not positive. 1968 was the first year for disc brakes, and the 68 rim is a one year only rim. The 68 would work on a 69 since they used the same calipers, but 70 was redesigned with a different caliper. That's why I recommend 1969-76 (which is the same rim).

If you find 68 rims just check for proper clearance of caliper, as the hubcap will fit.

Tim
Tim Groves

cadillacmike68

Quote from: cadillactim on January 18, 2018, 10:11:24 AM
Just be careful if you use 1968 rims. They may interfere with the 70 calipers, but I'm not positive. 1968 was the first year for disc brakes, and the 68 rim is a one year only rim. The 68 would work on a 69 since they used the same calipers, but 70 was redesigned with a different caliper. That's why I recommend 1969-76 (which is the same rim).

If you find 68 rims just check for proper clearance of caliper, as the hubcap will fit.

Tim

1968-1976 use the same size caliper. It's the size of the piston and the location of the inlet vs the bleeder that changes a couple times. Neither will affect the fitment of a wheel.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

Another thing. The disc pads from 1968 all the way up through the 1996 Fleetwoods (and even through 2002 on some GMC trucks) are the SAME. 

That means the basic Caliper castings are the SAME as well. Now, threading of inlets, piston size, bolt to bracket mechanism, etc. have changed, but the same basic caliper casting was used throughout this entire 30+ year period.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike