News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 Eldorado wheel and steering diagram (parts schematic)

Started by Mihai Tarţa, October 14, 2013, 03:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mihai Tarţa

Hi!
I just bought a '76 Eldorado Convertible and I need to change all the wheel bearings and also a steering related part.
My mechanic says he should see a diagram to tell me exactly what to order.
I intend to include a service manual as well in my first parts order, but for now I would ask you guys for a parts diagram (exploded view) on the front and rear wheels and one that shows the steering components. The mechanic says that is some sort of auxiliary steering gear (not the main one).
Please help me out if you can

Thanks,
Mihai
1969 Coupe DeVille
1976 Eldorado Convertible

Oradea, Romania

TJ Hopland

Is your car left hand drive or right?   If its right I could see that there would be some extra parts involved.

The front wheel bearings fit 69-78 Toronado and Eldorado and should be sold in a pair with a spacer which is enough to do one side.  They are getting harder to find and are not cheap.  They are also difficult to replace.  They require a press and a good assortment of spacers and such or the specific tools made for the job.

The rear bearings fit a lot of cars so they should be easy to find and are very easy to replace.    Timken  SET2 is the outer.   Inner is SET5. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Mihai Tarţa

Thanks!
Where can I find front ones?
The car is left hand drive.

Is this correct for the front? SKF BR23
1969 Coupe DeVille

Oradea, Romania

R Schroeder

Hope this helps.
Roy

R Schroeder

Second set.

Mihai Tarţa

1969 Coupe DeVille

Oradea, Romania

Mihai Tarţa

I'm having a little trouble locating some of the parts I need. If you know some place I could find them, please share.

From the fourth image posted by Roy, I need item 1, 3  and 4
From the second image, I need items 6, 8 and 9

I've found the other parts I need on Rockauto.com, but they don't seem to have these.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
1969 Coupe DeVille

Oradea, Romania

TJ Hopland

The second image does not have the numbers you mention.  Which image did you need those from?

The stuff that Rock Auto does not seem to have seems to be no longer available from the regular sources so that means you will likely have to go to a specialty vendor. 

these people have been around a while and seem to have a decent reputation.

http://www.usapartssupply.com/cadillac.php

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Mihai Tarţa

1969 Coupe DeVille

Oradea, Romania

R Schroeder

I can give you some part numbers too. You could Google them and see if any come up for sale someplace.

Number 1 - Group 6.233  pt 7819057
Number 3 - Group 6.230  pt 12309228
Number 4 - Group 6.895  pt 12308782
Number 6 - Group 6.307  pt 417975   76 to 78 car

Number 8 is nothing more than a bolt. 3/8 -16 thread x 3/4 long.
Number 9 could also be bought most places. Just get a good grade of metal, such as a Grade 8.
Roy

TJ Hopland

#6 would be called the hub.   These cars were different than most FWD cars (and later trucks) in that the hub and bearings were not sold as an assembly.   I have never seen the hub sold as a part.  I would guess it was available as a dealer part but never commonly enough needed for the aftermarket to make them.  IF yours is damaged beyond repair you would likely have to find a used one.  For a used one it would usually be sold as an assembly including the knuckle.   For that there is a left and a right.  My guess is GM (and possibly others) learned from this car that it was not the easiest to service design so future projects the went to the hub and bearing part of the assembly. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV