News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Can someone explain the Cadillac model line up since the Deville was retired?

Started by chrisntam, March 29, 2015, 05:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

Looking for a quick overview of the progression of models since the Seville, Deville and  Eldorado names were retired.  DTS.  CTS.  XTS.  SRX.  The labeling of the models lost me ever since the regular model names were phased out.  I know the Escalade is a prettied up Suburban and the Escalade EXT is an Avalanche.  Which car is the top model?  Entry level? 
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Escalade is more akin to a GMC Denali;

Escalade EXT to Avalanche;

Escalade ESV to a Suburban.

Most expensive new Cadillac is Escalade ESV AWD which maxes out north of $100K IIRC.

Today's least expensive Cadillac model line is the ATS, followed by CTS, XTS and ELR.

Keep in mind there are many sub models within each series so the top model ATS will be much more expensive than a mid to lower model CTS.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

speach

Current cars:
1986 Military Chevrolet Diesel G30 Box Van
1968 Conv DeVille
1989 Toyota SpaceCruiser

You cant take your car with you in the end so drive the dang thing.

WilliamTrausch

Bill Young

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Big Apple Caddy

Don't get too comfortable with the current model names as Cadillac will be changing them as new or replacement models are introduced.

Car models will be CT and then a number e.g. CT4, CT5, CT6, etc.
CUV and SUV (except Escalade) models will be XT and then a number e.g. XT4, XT5, XT6, etc.

The numbers will represent the hierarchy of the model in the respective lineup.

Dan LeBlanc

Sad to say it here, but Lincoln is dropping the alphabet soup from their model lineup starting with the 2017 Continental to be sold starting next year.  It will have a twin turbo 3.0L V-6 that is exclusive to Lincoln and early reports say that it may be a front driver with AWD capability.  Early rumours also indicate Lincoln may bring back RWD now that Alan Mullaly is gone.

Sounds like Lincoln has Cadillac lined up in their sights.  Strap on your seatbelts and hold on for the ride.  Looks like there's going to be a Lincoln vs. Cadillac war on the horizon.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on March 30, 2015, 07:15:00 AM
Sad to say it here, but Lincoln is dropping the alphabet soup from their model lineup starting with the 2017 Continental to be sold starting next year.

I think only the Continental and Navigator will have traditional names while the rest of the lineup will still use alphabet names like MKZ, MKC, MKX, etc.

If Cadillac were to use one traditional name in its car lineup for a flagship sedan, what would be the best choice?  Fleetwood?  Seville?  DeVille?  Ciel?  Elmiraj?  Something else?

Smedly

I vote Fleetwood. Personal I would like to see ALL the old names come back.
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

speach

I agree, they just need to make some distinctive cars that can live up to the names of Fleetwood, Eldorado, and Deville
Current cars:
1986 Military Chevrolet Diesel G30 Box Van
1968 Conv DeVille
1989 Toyota SpaceCruiser

You cant take your car with you in the end so drive the dang thing.

WilliamTrausch

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Cadillac (and GM) has made it quite clear its desire to all but sever itself from what the Marque once stood for in the past.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: David Smith on March 30, 2015, 12:13:01 PM
If Lincoln is successful in going back to the "Continental" name then Cadillac should take note.
I think the Continental would have to be very, VERY successful for Cadillac to follow suit.  It would be nice if they would, though.

Quote from: David Smith on March 30, 2015, 12:13:01 PM
Personally, I think Lincoln will chicken out in the end and call their new big car an MKC, C being for Continental.
Although I suppose they could change their mind, Lincoln has confirmed that the Continental name will be used on the 2017 production model.   MKC wouldn't work as that name is already being used on one of their CUVs.

SixDucks

Quote from: Smedly on March 30, 2015, 09:08:39 AM
I vote Fleetwood. Personal I would like to see ALL the old names come back.

I agree. I would like to see Fleetwood and Fleetwood Eldorado return to the lineup as Cadillac reclaims its rightful position in the luxury market. Personally  I find the current alphabet soup designations both confusing and degrading.

Terry
Current:
1941 coupe
1962 Fleetwood
1988 Brougham
Previous:
1956 Series 62 Sedan
1963 Fleetwood
1975 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance
1989 Brougham

Quentin Hall

I'd drive a Cadillac OMG. Maybe not a Cadillac LOL . . .and definitely not a Cadillac WTF.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

59eldorado

Quote from: ericdev on March 30, 2015, 11:50:58 AM
I wouldn't hold my breath.

Cadillac (and GM) has made it quite clear its desire to all but sever itself from what the Marque once stood for in the past.

Exactly that is the biggest mistake they're making... the press loves those BMW- and Mercedes-lookalikes, but nobody buys them. Sales figures for all the limousines of the current lineup are desastrous...   
1959 Eldorado Biarritz
1965 DeVille Convertible
1967 Eldorado
2017 CT6

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: 59eldorado on March 31, 2015, 09:51:02 AM
Exactly that is the biggest mistake they're making...

What can/should Cadillac be doing to turn things around?   It seems buyers don't want Cadillacs pretending to be BMWs but also don't what Cadillacs as they used to be.  Their once traditional sedans have long been seeing steady sales declines.   For example, annual DeVille/DTS sales went from around 105,000 in 2000 to around 59,000 in 2006 to around 11,500 in 2011.  The XTS saw a jump but then declined 25% in 2014.  The cars that Cadillac was best known for in the past just don't seem to have the same appeal to luxury buyers today.   Hence the company's desire to distance itself from that past.

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on March 31, 2015, 10:36:35 AM
What can/should Cadillac be doing to turn things around?   For example, annual DeVille/DTS sales went from around 105,000 in 2000 to around 59,000 in 2006 to around 11,500 in 2011.

The "fantastic" Northstar engine may have played a big role in the demise of the deVille.  Lets face it, they pop head gaskets more than cherries on prom night even though the later models were much more reliable.  When you build a bad reputation for reliability on such an expensive car, the buying public shies away for something that has a better reputation.
Dan LeBlanc

Walter Youshock

The 4100 was the first toll of the death knell.  The Northstar didn't help.  Nor did the 307 5 liter carbureted engine in the late '80's Brougham. 

As for names:  until the '49 Coupe De Ville,  no Cadillac really had a name.  We're all familiar with series 90, 75, 72, 70, 62 and 60.  Why not revive some of these designations?

Then again, who really remembered the significance of "Sixty Special" when it was resurrected in 1993 to differentiate the rear - drive Fleetwood Brougham from the front - drive former Fleetwood sedan?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Dan LeBlanc

You're absolutely correct there, Walter.  The 4100 definitely did a number to Cadillac's reputation there also.  They had been trying to play catch-up ever since.

To go from the nice 77-8-9 cars with their reliable power plants to the 4100, well, sounds like a step backwards to me.  I know they were being pushed by environmental regulations, blah, blah, blah.  I would've expected more from the Standard of the World.

Yes, Cadillac has come a long way, but inevitably, when a discussion of Cadillac comes up today and why sales are still sluggish, people still bring up Northstars and 4100's. 

The one bad apple spoils the barrel analogy goes a long way here.
Dan LeBlanc

Bill Young

Names are certainly important. However no matter what anyone trying to be politically correct might say looks ie: styling and interior and exterior colors are  hugely  important . If it were not Dodge Chargers and Challengers would not be selling in the numbers they do . Just cloak those two Dodges in the boring foreign look a like egg shaped 4 door pillared sedan form and offer them in silver,black,white or gray only and see what happens to sales. Technology is very important , however only a few tech-no-weenies buy on that alone. Style and color sells the larger general public in the Show Room. Cadillac as Almost all Car companies have , have forgotten the lessons learned by GM Styling so many decades ago. This stuff is Harley Earl and Bill Mitchell Course 101. A great looking Car first , then a Great name for it should follow suit . One Mans Opinion.