News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Bringing back my Grandfather's 59

Started by pinkfinbucket, December 13, 2014, 12:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkfinbucket

Jee wiz mister LeBlanc i hadn't thought to ask him thanks for your input.

57eldoking

I've heard the latest Cadillac custom trend is the dragging rear bumper look ;D Would flow nicely on a bagged and slammed 59!

More bright ideas for inspiration here: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xuKtKJ-9bY0

1957 Eldorado Biarritz #906
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #1020 http://bit.ly/1kTvFlM
1957 Eldorado Seville  #1777 http://bit.ly/1T3Uo1c
1995 Fleetwood Brougham  http://bit.ly/20YwJV4
2010 SRX Performance

1946 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup
1957 Buick Caballero Estate Wagon (x2)
1960 Chevy Apache 10 Stepside
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (x2)
1992 Pontiac Trans Sport GT

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: pinkfinbucket on December 15, 2014, 09:28:54 AM
Jee wiz mister LeBlanc i hadn't thought to ask him thanks for your input.

WTF?  I just asked a simple question.  Wasn't really looking for a sarcastic answer. 

I'd rather see it pushed off a cliff than turned into an abomination that merely resembles a Cadillac, but that's my two cents.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

corey raub

Mr. LeBlanc,

You weren't looking for a sarcastic answer?  Maybe nobody asked for your simple question.  Also, there is no need to insult anybody in order to express your opinion.

Corey

Dan LeBlanc

NO, I really wasn't looking for a sarcastic answer.  I was genuinely interested in how his grandfather saw the car when it was completed to see how the opinions would differ.
Dan LeBlanc

Bobby B

WOAH….Everybody! Attitude Check Please… I think everybody was misled and drawn into the post title with the words "Resurrecting', "Bringing Back", etc., which are also equivalent to "Renovating", "Restoring," "Rebuilding", etc.  I would have to assume that a real high percentage of the fine population on this site are die-hard Cadillac fans that are into doing their part in preserving a little part of American History, myself included. It's not my car, but if it were, I would be approaching it differently. To each his own. I just don't want to participate in an opinion related subject any more. There….I voiced my opinion!  ;D
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Ken Perry

Hi,just reading all the dreams and comments about Grandpas 59 ! I have a lot of 59s and have worked on everything from stock to as wild as one could imagine ! I (AM ) a hot rodder by heart! When these cars run right,they run hard and will do 100 mph all day long,or untill the cops catch you ! I left a car show a few weeks back in my 60 flat top after this bad ass Cuda did this big burn out in the parking lot,so I had to represent Cadillac and laid down over a half a block of rubber and backed off only becouse there was a slow car in front of me ! I know what a fast car is, I used to only drive big block 4 speed posi Chevelles and drive them hard ! Just saying 59 Cads are not slow,when they run rite. My friend just put airbags on his 59 coupe and now he is sorry!!! Already blown out two bags?Not to mention the car handles bad with the bags? As for the LS engines,I know they are the trend rite now,but trends pass and these engines take a lot to adapt to the 59 and look like crap and don't match under the hood at all.If you research the 49-62 Cad engines you will find they were used in a lot of Hot Rods,boats and drag cars,for a long time Cadillac engines were one of the best engines to hot rod.They made a lot of speed equiptment for them,some is still made! And even if that doesn't impress you,they are a good looking engine !Once you drive a 59 you will see they stop traffic,they are one of the wildest cars ever made. I am 51,I don't take naps,I still chase wild women,I build and drive fast and cool cars and don't plan on stopping anytime soon !!! God willing!  8) Ken Perry               OH YA,nice score on the 59,all the best on taking Grandpa for a ride in July !     
Cadillac Ken

Dan LeBlanc

Bob. 

I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head.  Picking the right target audience that is receptive to your aspirations is key.  After all, that's why the Modified Chapter exists along with their forum.  I think the reception would be much warmer in that environment rather than here where the key focus is preservation.
Dan LeBlanc

Smedly

I think the post is in the right spot now. He is "bringing back Grandpas 59". In the future the modified chapter may be the spot but for now, Bring on the pictures, share the story PLEASE, it is a 59 Caddy and some of us don't care if it is slightly modified, its a caddy and it will be back out on the road instead of rusting away in the shed.
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

Joe V

My guess is that Grandfather and Grandson are going to enjoy the ride regardless of the size rims and motor that are in, or ultimately end up in the car.  Both will have a memory that will last both life times.

I was too young to have known the time of my Cadillac.  My memories are of my time with my father working and enjoying old cars and my appreciation of a classic in it's original form is born from those experiences and memories.  But for this great hobby to go on, young people need to make it theirs.  Ultimately, all our cars will all end up the hands of young people, who by that time may be a little older, but will still need to make them theirs. 

All I can say to this young man is that my hat is off to you.  Do whatever you have to get that ride with your grandfather.  And when you do it, look at his face and remember the smile you put on it, and then look at yourself in the rear view mirror and remember yours. 

Quentin Hall

I just had a wee cry when I read your post Joe. I haven't had such a lump in my throat since Lassie accidentally got shot on the  Saturday matinee when I was 10 .
Keep at it James. Nobody is against you. I think it is great that you are working on a 59. As you keep wrenching you may come to be captivated by the 59 spell. You'll fall in love and then you'll understand what some of us are banging on about .
   I was lucky enough to meet Dave Holls who helped design the 59. He was only in his early twenties when he did that. He told me some of the influence for the rear fuselage shape came from his Dad's Hudson.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how powerful a 390 is. My Eldo had factory bags and handled like a sportscar. Get a tripower if you want a kick in the backside. All the power you would ever need.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

57eldoking

Quote from: Manbat on December 18, 2014, 10:15:48 PM
My guess is that Grandfather and Grandson are going to enjoy the ride regardless of the size rims and motor that are in, or ultimately end up in the car.  Both will have a memory that will last both life times.

I was too young to have known the time of my Cadillac.  My memories are of my time with my father working and enjoying old cars and my appreciation of a classic in it's original form is born from those experiences and memories.  But for this great hobby to go on, young people need to make it theirs.  Ultimately, all our cars will all end up the hands of young people, who by that time may be a little older, but will still need to make them theirs. 

All I can say to this young man is that my hat is off to you.  Due whatever you have to get that ride with your grandfather.  And when you do it, look at his face and remember the smile you put on it, and then look at yourself in the rear view mirror and remember yours. 

I'm 28 and currently own a 57 Eldorado Seville which I'm slowly but surely restoring back to be as original as possible. Just like you I grew up with a father who taught me the appreciation of originality. Young people need to be taught/shown how unique and advanced for their time 50s and early 60s Cadillacs were. They need to learn to appreciate the immense engineering and thought that went into making these vehicles back then. I don't agree that young people need to make it their own, they need to respect these cars' unique place in automotive history and contribute to keeping these cars as original as possible for posterity! If you're dead set on "bagging", LS engines, and 20s then pick a Camaro or Caprice, leave 50s Caddys alone!
2010 SRX Performance

Walter Youshock

Amen.  We are only temporary holders of these works of art. 

You get it.  And you've got a great collection.

How are you keeping your '82 Fleetwood brougham going?  I had one and it was an excellent, anemic car but the best Cadillac I ever owned.  Still wish I had it.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Bobby B

Who's sick and tired of hearing the term "Crate Motor"……Did anybody here ever take one of those engines apart and check the tolerances? A good percentage of those engines are junk and I've seen them bad right out of the box. There is no substitute for a carefully assembled engine or the knowledge/experience to properly diagnose problems when they arise. How many young guys know how to degree in a Cam? Restoring a vintage car can be a real hands-on learning experience, especially in the eras when parts can be disassembled and cleaned/rebuilt, including all mechanicals, pumps, switches, cylinders, etc.  Plus, you get the added bonus of exercising your Brain at the same time. Today, most mechanics are based on diagnostics and parts changing after the computer says so. I find no fun, challenge, or satisfaction working on late model vehicles. Personally, I like to keep my cars as stock as possible with minor sensible modifications that make the car a little more reliable on today's roads.  There were millions of Camaros, Chevelles, and Mustangs manufactured that have already been modified.  The last time I checked, nobody was manufacturing a '59 Cadillac again……
                                                              Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: 57eldoking on December 19, 2014, 09:44:03 PM
I'm 28 and currently own a 57 Eldorado Seville which I'm slowly but surely restoring back to be as original as possible. Just like you I grew up with a father who taught me the appreciation of originality. Young people need to be taught/shown how unique and advanced for their time 50s and early 60s Cadillacs were. They need to learn to appreciate the immense engineering and thought that went into making these vehicles back then. I don't agree that young people need to make it their own, they need to respect these cars' unique place in automotive history and contribute to keeping these cars as original as possible for posterity! If you're dead set on "bagging", LS engines, and 20s then pick a Camaro or Caprice, leave 50s Caddys alone!

I'm not very much older than you are and completely agree.  At 36, I have no desire to customize my 61 and the 53 will be an authentic car when complete also.
Dan LeBlanc

corey raub

I prefer original cars, but I can appreciate modified automobiles also.  I love Cadillacs.  I have met many wonderful people through owning a Cadillac, and I can honestly say that most of them are kind, open-minded individuals.  I really don't think that the people posting on here are in the majority.  Maybe a few others can take a moment to show some support for diversity in the old car hobby by posting a positive comment on this forum.

Joe V

For those of us that relish in restoring a car to it's previous glory, hints and ideas, like the ones in a few of the posts on this thread from knowledgeable practitioners, and encouragement when we meet the young folks entering the hobby and getting ready to spend money to keep it going are the best response and action.  That same encouragement from members of this forum has keep my restoration in line with the original specs of my 49.  Not only from their expertise and advice, but from offering original parts at a fair price from their personal caches. 

Looking through the post, I don't see the young man responding any more.  Hopefully we have not lost the opportunity to further encourage an original, or near original restoration, or maybe even gain another Cadillac club member.  One thing is for sure, skipping his involvement in this forum and moving forward with his customization would have a much better outcome for for Grandpa's Cadillac than some of other options and ideas offered.

Oh, before I get flamed for encouraging membership as a non-member, I am a club member.  It just takes months, if ever, for the club to process membership and send login credentials.  Talk about a Cadillac in need of customization!

57eldoking

Quote from: Walter Youshock on December 19, 2014, 10:43:03 PM
Amen.  We are only temporary holders of these works of art. 

You get it.  And you've got a great collection.

How are you keeping your '82 Fleetwood brougham going?  I had one and it was an excellent, anemic car but the best Cadillac I ever owned.  Still wish I had it.

Thanks Walter. I loved my 82 Brougham too, but sadly I just sold it. I bought it off the little old lady who bought it new, in San Bernardino, CA a couple of summers ago. It had 70k miles and had never been outside SoCal. It was last tagged in 94 but after changing all fluids, new tires, new belts and hoses, and new brake shoes it drove like a dream. I put 10k miles on it in the States before shipping it to Norway. I used it as a daily driver here for a year, the HT4100 didn't give me an inch of trouble in the 25.000 miles I put on it. While certainly not a powerhouse it got me where I needed to go in style & comfort often at 25mpg! I thought that was exceptional for a 30 year old 5000lbs sedan! I decided to sell it this fall as the thought of subjecting it to another winter with salty roads made me cringe. I already have too many summer only cars so it had to go.
2010 SRX Performance

blugg

What's latest on this build (crager 30 spokes an all)?

Rod Dahlgren #19496

I agree with Dan---  I do Hope a change of plan comes about. Take it from a 6 decade race car driver builder owner. Street rods about the same-- Customs, Carson tops, lead, Desoto grills, flippers, ported and relieved flatheads. Been there done that. BUT the 59 Cadillac--- Just has a certain "LOOK" that you don't mess with. That and the value of GOOD SOLID 59's when in original state are always going to be SOLID.. EVERY Modified Car  (did I say EVERY? ) Yes, EVERY modified car is a personal interpretation of the person that modified it. You will NOT find another person that has the same taste.. Once it is modified, that begins the spiral.... Usually the spiral is headed down... Certainly this current fad/style of 24's and bags will change--- it always does.
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?