News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cannot find gasket!!!

Started by Jeff Traikoff, November 21, 2006, 05:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Traikoff

This is for a 68 DeVille.  I am desperately looking for the gasket found between my fiberglass heater-core/evaporator box and the firewall.  It is a foam-rubberish material and is nearly a 1/4 thick. I have tried Fen Cadillac and Olsons Gaskets with no success.  Who else would have/make something like this?... more on the have side.   I have an inkling that Fen is holding out on me.... what do you guys think?  Any suggestion?  Thanks!

Anthony Amman

You might try contacting Steele Rubber Products in NC, or Metro Moulded Parts in MN.  I have had both companies reproduce items that I needed after having sent them my old part as a model to copy.

Porter

Jeff,

Not to be a wiseguy here but some gaskets dont exist anymore.

You can make your own gaskets if you obtain the proper gasket material.

I have made my own gaskets in the past when they are not available.

Dont blow a head gasket, I made a carb center gasket once for my old updraft carb for my flathead 6 Greymarine engine years ago.

You do what you gotta do.  Use the parts to profile the gasket, cut it with an exacto knife, etc.

Porter

Jeff T.

Yeah I would do that but the thing is about 4 feet long with all sorts of curves and lots of holes... guess this is going to be a custom job :-(

TJ H #20664

Have you ever tried looking at catalogs for cars that they make tons of repro parts for?  Like cameros and mustangs and such?  I doubt you would get an exact fit but you may find something that would be a good start.  I have had good luck doing that with some of the stuff for my 73 eldo but Im not going for a orignal show car.

Good Luck!

TJ H
73 Eldoconvert(s)
StPaul/Mpls MN USA

Jeff Traikoff

Well I spoke with Metro and they pretty much shot me down... I called up Steele today and I explained what I needed to the research department.  They pretty much gave me the same crap and as I was about to hang up he said wait and started asking me information on it.  

He said I can send it to them and it might be in their best interest to add this to their catalog and I can have a sample for free.  So I was wondering if any of you could help me out a little.   I need to know what years had the same dimension heatercore/evap box as my 68... im fairly certain the 67 did however I would only be guessing after that.  Obviously the more years this fits the more enticing it would be to add to the catalog!

Thanks.

Jeff T.

Edward Kenny

I had the same problem in my 62. The gasket was worn out and pretty unusable, so I had to make a new one.

1) I took the gasket and made a copy of it on the copy machine at work. This became the pattern from which I cut out the new gasket on the foam rubber. Make several copies so that you have spares in case you need them.

2) After carefully cutting out the pattern from the paper that it is printed on, secure it to the foam rubber you wish to make the gasket from and then cut the gasket from the foam. I used rubber cement for the gluing task, but the foam I used had a plastic coating on one side which allowed me to glue the pattern to it. You may need to find a different way to secure the pattern to the foam.

3) Use a hobby knife to cut slits in the foam for the bolts that secure the core box to the car.

I hope this works for you as well as it did for me. Best of luck to you.

Jeff Traikoff

Any ideas on what years share the same heater-core box as 68? Anyone?  Thanks.

Jeff T.