News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1939 starter dilemma

Started by nasser, August 16, 2006, 05:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nasser

Hi everyone :
  The car (1939 60 special) recently painted inside and out and wires were disconnected from the dash and reconnected by the electrician of the shop. The car use to crank and start OK, but wasnt run  for one month and when I tried to start it yesterday, the switch and push button were working fine and cranked the engine OK, but no start. After trying for a while (may be draining the battery a little) the push button went silent with no cranking effect. Under the urge to start the car, I removed the relay cover on the starter motor and pushed on the small plate over of the contact points and cranked the engine to a start, since I primed the carb from a sight hole in the float chamber. THE Qs:
1- what is the position of the contact points of the relay (open/closed)before and after turning the switch to the on position, and its position while the engine is running????  I believe that this relay should be open (air gap) after the engine runs, under the effect of a reverse current from the charging system to the relay to prevent any accidental engagement of the starter by keeping the relay contact point open, is this right???  Could my relays coil be bad or weak?  How to test it? is this relay sold seperatly?
2- would a week battery cause the points of the  relay to remain open (befor cranking), rendering the push button inoperative?
3- On the back of the starter switch there are three prongs marked Bat, Sta, and Ign. The wire going to the coil was hooked to the Sta prong and the wires for the Sta prong (I assume) were connected to the Ign prong. THE Q: does this hurt the wiring? The car started fine though. I connected both as suppose to.
4- the starter switch has three positions, the center one being the off, but  I don’t know which one is the START and which one is the ACCESSORIES, if that matters some how?
  I thank you all for reading and appreciate your responding. Happy motoring.
Dr. Nasser,

Doug Houston

First, you have a postwar ignition switch on the car. The 40 models had no accessory position. Somebody has boogered up things, so it appears.

If the battery is low, it wouldnt crank the engine. It isnt clear to me just what was disconnected and what was reconnected.

The starter switch has two terminals on it. One goes to the ignition switch, and he other to the starter solenoid (the little primary relay that youve described). The other terminal of the primary relay goes to the generator armature, through the harness, as youve described. Im no wondering if your ignition switch has a start position on it.....? Thats REALLY wrong.

The cntact points in the primary starter relay are open when not cranking. If the starter works when you hold down the primary relay armature, it is working properly. It sounds like your electrician hasnt a clue about how a 1940 car should work, from what youre saying. You need an electrical diagram of the car, and the proper components before you can hope for it to work properly. Its all in the shop manual.

jack Carroll

Dr. Nasser, If you dont have a wiring diagram I have one
            for a 39 Lasalle and would be glad to fax it
            or mail it to you.

Let me know if you want a copy.
Jack Carroll