News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

best alternative to POR-15

Started by Brett, January 28, 2006, 09:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porter 21919

Porter,

Question : have you used the Zerorust on everyday drivers, or on resto projects ? Im still looking for something for my hopefully soon-to-be-everyday driver 70 Caddy convertible to use on my floor, door panels, inside of fenders, etc....

Ray,

I use it on my everyday driver, 1990 Chevy van, trust me, with proper prep it will hold up well.

Poor-15 will just flake off in big sections, or so I have been told, the stuff is pricey and toxic too.

No matter what you use proper surface prep is required.

My 66 CDV floorpans, undercarraige etc. are all topcoated with ZR, the car has never been on the road but so what, the ZR is still solid three years later, the Poor-15 will flake off in your garage years later.

Porter

Rhino 21150

FWIW: for about $350 you can buy a (Chinese) air compressor, several paint guns and a small sand blaster. Lowes, Home Despot, etc. They are junk of course, but they should hold up long enough to do all the work you plan to do with them. I plan to buy a (Chinese) electric concrete mixer this summer to pour a pad for a garage. It will cost about $170 at Harbor Freight Tools. I have been told I should get enough use out of it to pour the slab, a driveway and still sell it for $80 when I am through with it.
As for the compressor, get a 5hp that plugs into 220volts. You can plug it into a dryer outlet. I have a slightly smaller one that Ive had for 18 years. Ive sprayed furniture, cars, the attic interior (fireproofing) and an artificial Christmas tree. Ive bought $10 paint guns that I used for epoxies and thrown the gun away. The sandblaster is a bucket of sand, a wand and tips that last fifteen minutes. They cost about $12.
Yes this is crude, but it works if you substitute effort for tools. Sometimes you have no choice because the money just isnt there, but the will is.