News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1948 Paint Formula NEEDED

Started by Rod Dahlgren #19496, January 19, 2009, 05:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod Dahlgren #19496

Trying to find someone that has the Actual Paint formula for a 1948 coupe. Code 2 Amherst Blue. This is a metallic color as confirmed by the original paint inside and under many parts. The current PPG formula provided by PPG has NO metallic in it.. This is not a correct formula. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Rod Dahlgren #19496
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?

Terry Wenger, CLC#1800

Rod:

My Ditzler '41 through '50 color book does not have the formula for the Amherst Blue Poly but the number is DAL-10095. DAL stands for Ditzler Automotive Lacquer. It is definitely metallic, but the original formula woukld not be able to be mixed as the nitro-cellulose lacquer mixing color aren't available any longer.

Terry

Warren Rauch

Since PPG makes Ditzler paint you do need the Ditzler formula. I have only been able to find Acme and Sherwin Williams formuas. The metallic  in Acme is called fine luminescence (they also use luminesence in other colors)it is about 3 1/8 %  of the mix. THe metallic in Sherwin Williams is Opalescent R ( they also have Opalescent F) it is 1 1/2 % of the mix. Does Ditzler still provide mixing formulas to mix the colors that are needed to mix the old formula?  I believe they did at one time.
You are fortunate that you have some areas that could be scaned if you can't do it any other way. Warren

J. Gomez

Rod,

The following auto paint link has an on-line paint chip from Ditzler and that color combination is listed. You could enter the data from the paint chip sheet and see if they can match it. A phone call would best to validate availability and correct formula under current blends.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1948-cadillac-pg01.jpg

Jose Gomez CLC #23082
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

harvey b

Hello All, another problem with matching these old colors is that the mettalics that they used to use are being phased out,now the colors have pearl flakes instead of metal ones,it is really tough to match some of the old colors now.i run a bodyshop,i run into this all the time ???,it is only going to get worse with the coming of waterbourne paint,if you have a car thats going to need some touch-up,you better stockpile some paint,because when its gone it will be gone forever.HTH Harvey B
Harvey Bowness