News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

carpet underlayment

Started by J I Garner, June 24, 2010, 01:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J I Garner

What is the best padding and other material to go under the carpet in the trunk and cabin on a 62 Eldo?
Is it better to use molded or sewn carpet?
I am finally to that stage on my project. Thanks for your expertise.
Jim

Otto Skorzeny

You may wish to use a modern sound deadener / heat insulator such as Dynamat. It's more costly of course but will greatly improve the comfort of the ride and cut down on noise intrusion.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

The Tassie Devil(le)

Dynamat is good for the sound-deadening and insulation, but you will still need the Underfelt to give you that "Soft" feel.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bob Kielar

I agree with Bruce. Just got done with installing Dynamat on my 55 Fleetwood easy to work with but be prepared it took my wife and I seven hours to install correctly as you all know there is not a flat surface on these cars. I found the best price on Amazon.com. I bought my carpet from Jenkins expensive long lead time but well worth the time and money everything fit correctly and the only whole I had to cut was for the dimmer switch. Good Luck Cadillac Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

J I Garner #23406

Thanks for the advice. I ordered dynamat and carpet plus the jute.
JimWBNZX

Fred Zwicker #23106

I just completed installation of an underlayment (Total Protection Mat sound deadener) and carpet yesterday, per attached pictures.  This carpet was pre-cut and had a jute backing.  I purchased it at Auto Carpet Originals.  It fit perfectly with some minor adjustments that are usually required by adding or removing some of the jute padding in a few spots and some stretching as needed.  The gas pedal slot and hole was pre-cut, but I had to carefully locate and cut the hole for the brakes, headlight dimmer switch and emergency brake.  Best to cut an "X" when doing this, to allow a little extra room before cutting the round or other holes.   I do all of my own carpet, as have the proper heavy-duty sewing machine designed for sewing of leather and carpet.  A standard sewing machine won't work.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

J I Garner CLC # 23406

Nice job. Thanks for sharing.
Jim

Otto Skorzeny

Hey, that's a Pontiac. Careful you don't get deleted.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Fred Zwicker #23106

Oops - I didn't think anyone would notice or care, but I did want to show how to do the floor sound deadener and carpet, and these were the only current photos available and were from this past week.  Besides, isn't a Pontiac Cadillac's cousin?  However since you mentioned, attached are some pictures of my 1939 LaSalle interior TPM Sound Deadener and carpet work of 2 or 3 years ago. 

Fred

Fred Zwicker #23106

While not carpeting, here are some trunk-lining pictures of my 1939 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, showing the TPM sound deadener and finished trunk lining.  I bought the trunk lining from Jenkins and it is identical to the original pattern.

Fred