News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

67 Eldorado Air - pump resto

Started by jerryjansson, June 04, 2015, 11:35:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerryjansson

Found a correct Air-pump for my 67 Eldorado with Air-injection some time ago.
Now it needs restoration. Anybody knows where to find the needed parts ( carbon seals, carbon shoes, pressure relief valve and other needed stuff )?
Or maybe there is someone out there that can do this work for me ?
It's currently in Sweden and can be shipped .
Cheers
Jerry J
Jerry Jansson
Stockholm
Sweden
currently 67 Eldorado, previously: 1957 Eldorado Brougham #284, 1959 Seville #975, 1960 Eldorado Brougham #94

James Landi

Hi Jerry,

You might consider two options until you get yours restored.  One simple option involves bypassing the level sensing device on the rear axial, and connecting a hose to the rear bumper with a tire inflator valve where you can add compressed air and get your car off of its rear spring stops.   Another option would have you retro fit a newer electric air pump made by Cadillac... they are nearly indestructible, and with its companion height axial sensor, will do the job.  Two thoughts:  1. I live near the Atlantic coast, and the original 67 pumps are nearly impossible to restore, because the compressor interior becomes pitted and rendered useless. 2. Your rear leaf springs are at risk if the air shocks are not inflated.  James

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Jerry,
If you want to keep your Air Injector Reactor (AIR)  system functional my suggestion would be to get a rebuilt unit from someone like Rock Auto
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=4jhspk864a4e6ap9jai5140hq1
I do not believe the internal parts were ever available for these units, but if they were it has been decades.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

jerryjansson

Thanks guys !
James, I might have been a bit "vague" on this. It's the pump for the Air Injector Reactor (AIR)  system I'm working with. The suspension is already redone the way you describe it.But thanks anyway.
Greg, Rock Auto does not have the specific air pump for the Eldo. The Eldo one has a different "piping-configuration" on the rear plate. Maybe that the only difference between the pump for all the other models that year.....?
Attaching a pic of the Eldo pump.
And again, thanks for you concern and input.
Cheers
Jerry J
Jerry Jansson
Stockholm
Sweden
currently 67 Eldorado, previously: 1957 Eldorado Brougham #284, 1959 Seville #975, 1960 Eldorado Brougham #94

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Jerry,
I know it will be a real pain and time consuming, but a re builder like Cardone will rebuild yours and reurn it.  Probably the best bet if yours needs rebuilding.  I know these are simple devices, and I have replaced bearings on more than a few of them, but vanes and lip seals are as rare as hen's teeth these days.
Greg Surfas.
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

YourHonour

@Cadillac Kid
I am trying to refurbish the air pump for my 72 Eldorado and just use it as an idle rotating belt adjuster.
it would be great if you would have the bearing numbers for me.

Thanks a lot from Holland!
Currently:
72 Eldorado
95 Chevy Van

Earlier:
80 Caprice Classic Wagon
94 Chevy Van
69 Toronado