News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Barn find 53 Eldo

Started by Quentin Hall, August 30, 2014, 09:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quentin Hall

http://m.ebay.com/itm/271583589230?nav=SEARCH
They don't come around like this often. Bout one every couple of years.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Your right Quentin they don't come around that often. 

At what price will it end up with?............No Reserve with 6 plus days to go.................Is $80K possible?   $90K ??   unbelievable !

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Quentin Hall

Gee it's a tough one in this fickle market. I would hope for well above $70k. Looks like it has a few rust issues. Nothing that i haven't fixed before though. Main thing is that it appears that all the Eldo only bits are there.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Coupe Deville

Someone must have been in a big hurry to steal parts off it. They cut right through the plug wires.
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

veesixteen

It's not in the roster of survivors that was put together by Matt Larson a few years back.
Pls, whoever gets it, let me have the body number and any history  you might find out
about the car.

Tks.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The thing is that this is not an example of a deteriorated original car; but a badly deteriorated amateur restoration.

If the case were the former, the [current] bid of $56K just might be understandable, not for the latter - at least not in my book.

The best of the best '53 Eldorados (restored) command ~ $150K - 200K in the open market; OCPG lists a '53 Eldorado in #5 @ $24,000.

Sometimes I wonder what some bidders are thinking... :o
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Quentin Hall

Some of you guys need to wake up to reality. The hobby is the restoration for some. There is hardly a challenge in getting flown to the top of a mountain in a luxury helicopter. You didn't climb it. This is not a bad car at all. Every unrestored 53 Eldo has the same issues.
    Yes the market may be flat for fully restored cars right now.....but that doesn't mean this shouldn't be worth nearly six figures.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

76eldo

You can throw out the book when it comes to unrestored 53 Eldorado's.

Every one is unique and if all the goodies are there it's a car worth a ton of money.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Rod Dahlgren #19496

Fantastic. Hope the right guy takes it home.
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?

Doug L

Quentin,,,

I have just woken up to reality and I don't like it....I am going back to sleep.

Doug Lemon

Mike Baillargeon #15848

With all these flip that car shows on TV, and the never ending televising of the "classic" car auctions.

Isn't that part of what is feeding the "classic" car bubble that is sure to come.

In a sane world, what the muscle cars are going for is just plain crazy and that craziness is leaking into our hobby.

It's a giant game of musical chairs and I hope none of us are stuck in a project, that when the music stops, we think we would flip for big money because we saw it on TV.

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Quentin Hall

You are absolutely right Art. What kind of moron would spend his every waking hour and every spare dollar trying to rebuild a piece of junk like that? . . . Let alone two of 'em.
PS, and I for one wouldn't want to associate with any one who would. I know none of my friends would.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Quentin Hall on September 01, 2014, 07:26:35 AM
You are absolutely right Art. What kind of moron would spend his every waking hour and every spare dollar trying to rebuild a piece of junk like that? . . . Let alone two of 'em.
PS, and I for one wouldn't want to associate with any one who would. I know none of my friends would.
Sounds just like a job for you Quentin. ;)

Me, I would probably tackle it if I had the money, as at least I could say that I built it, and not simply purchased a completed car.   But then, I wanted a '72 Eldorado Convertible, and now I have one.   At least parts are reasonably available.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Quentin Hall

53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Quentin Hall

Art, I'm sure my ex wife and team of layers agrees with you. Damn Swype.... Should be lawyers not layers. Lawyers damn it.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

dadolac

Quote from: 49er on September 01, 2014, 07:57:09 AM
Quentin, I don't mean any slight what so ever. You have immense talant. You can do things most of us can not. That's a given. You and others who have such talants can save much. Myself and perhaps many like me ate basically tinkerers. Almost everything on this car would have to be farmed out to pros at about 100 per hr. For those like me, 26k or bbetter would go just in the interior. This doesn't count if floor boards are rotted, door channels gone, on an on. Show chrome in and out on that car probably 17-20 k. You could very easily dump 100 k in the blink of an eye in that car. If one purchases it at the direction its going and everyone is all excited about a future 6 figure car, then That future170k  or north of that buyer, at least here, is going to want that to be perfect in everyway. If its true you can probably find a very very nice one at that 145-160 level why bother with this one. I understand the fun is in the doing. Got that. But for most, this particular car, this model, one better have all their ducks in a row. Art

What kind of math are we doing here? First you're quoting number 1 condition restoration cost, then you're saying you can get a very very nice one for 145-160. Well that's not #1 is it. Fact is, a number 1 53 eldo is well over 200k, if you can find an honest #1 car. This car is all about the opportunity to buy one. Very few left in the world needing restoration.  Also if you are paying $26k for a correct show winning interior for this car you are getting hosed. Badly  :)   

Here's one of the best, sold at Amelia Island early this year: $184,250.

http://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=1064963

Anyone who thinks '53 Eldorado is a quarter-mil are deluding themselves.

Anyone who thinks they're going to be into this "barn find" ESTATE sale '53 Eldorado for less than what the AI car ended up at - are also deluding themselves. And heaven help you if you need Eldo specific parts!

As far as "fun" in the hobby is concerned, I for one get far more fun by enjoying my car, showing the car, polishing the car -or even getting a tooth extracted - than spending countless thankless hours in a garage for years on end and being too old to enjoy the damn thing - if and when it ever gets finished - but that's just me.

Even when you start with a pretty much turn-key car to begin with, it's still a bunch of hours sorting all the little odds and ends - but at least there's always some light at the end of the tunnel.

That said, to each his own but I will say this:

Throughout the years, I have known many many people who have chosen the "get in cheap; restore later" route. I also have known some who have steadfastly stuck with the "buy the best or already finished" route.

Of those who expressed regret in their decision - ALL came from the former; of the latter - NONE.

Also, those who lost the most money, or were most upside down in their cars when finished - those most likely to be in the red - you guessed it - were the restorers.

dadolac

So the rational is buy a #2 150k car with unknown restoration history that will most likely haunt you and cost you lots of upkeep just to keep it in #2 condition for years to come instead of buying this car and go all out and end up with a #1 costing lets say 300k to restore correctly with no worries for years to come. Sorry , I'm going with the guys smoking the strong stuff as you say  ;D

Keep this in mind as well. If it's a resto shop or a handy guy is bidding on it, the argument is even stronger to restore this car. 

Quote from: dadolac on September 01, 2014, 06:36:24 PM
So the rational is buy a #2 150k car with unknown restoration history that will most likely haunt you and cost you lots of upkeep just to keep it in #2 condition for years to come instead of buying this car and go all out and end up with a #1 costing lets say 300k to restore correctly with no worries for years to come. Sorry , I'm going with the guys smoking the strong stuff as you say  ;D

Keep this in mind as well. If it's a resto shop or a handy guy is bidding on it, the argument is even stronger to restore this car. 

Utter nonsense - on both counts.