News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

The CLC directory: a suggestion/recommendation

Started by John Barry [CLC17027], March 16, 2011, 07:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Conklin

If it comes to fruition, put me down for an e-copy please. I think it is a great OPTION to have for us "non-tactile" types that don't need to hold paper. Now... about that CLC iPhone app...
Chris Conklin

Terry Wenger

I have Cadillac-LaSalle Club and CCCA directories going back to 1962 and often use them tracing the history and/or ownership of cars and other points of correspondence that I do with many CLC members. If they were all computerized formats most would be unuseable because they would be on discs or in formats that are not compatible with the ever changing computers and drives. So I guess from that usage standpoint I am resistant to change. This also goes for publications that I often use for reference. They would eventually be in forms no longer compatible after a few years.

By owning and driving old cars I am, by definition, somewhat resistant to change.

I belong to the Pierce Club like Tony and really like their web site. Some parts are open to everybody and other parts only to members. In the time that I have been a member, I haven't seen anything like some of the contentious threads that appear on the CLC Message Forum.

So I will be resistant to change and take my directories and The Self-Starter on good old fashioned paper!

Terry Wenger
Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S

Glen

Interesting discussion. 

QuoteI've seen websites where you can't copy a photograph; instead a balloon pops up.  Perhaps something similar could be done to prevent downloading member info?   

That does not stop everybody.  When you load a web page the computer stores the page pictures and all on the hard drive.  All you have to do is find it. 

Another method is to hold down the Alt key then press the Prt Sc key and the active page is stored on the clipboard.  You can then paste it into any other page as a picture such as MSPaint or MSWord.  That’s how I post pictures on this web site.  I have the shop manual and parts book on CD.  But that would take a long time to copy and paste the complete directory. 

I would be very surprised if the membership info is not already in an electronic form.  The alternative would be a card file, very labor intensive and prone to errors from misfiling.   All databases can export the info into other formats that could be imported to a different database, so putting online should not be difficult.  It is a very doable project. 

Whether we want to or not is the real question. 

Glen

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Kevin M. Parkinson

We all know this topic has been discussed before.  Here is a link to the 2007 version of the discussion.  Although this time the suggestion is for downloadable/CD availability this time, the idea is the same.  Provide an option so that those who would rather use the directory in electronic format, can do so.

http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/forum/index.php?topic=98415.msg99325#msg99325
1925 V-63B Custom Suburban
1941 Series 6719
1956 Fleetwood 75 Imperial Sedan
1967 Sedan deVille
1968 Sedan deVille
1972 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1972 S&S Cadillac Victoria Hearse Senior #779
1980 Fleetwood Limousine
1996 Sedan deVille
2006 DTS 1SD
2018 CT6 3.0TT Platinum
2018 Escalade ESV

John Barry [CLC17027]

From the general opposition and the counterarguments, this appears to have been a bad idea poorly thought out.  I think I'll keep my suggestions to myself hereafter.
John Barry (CLC 17027)
Now-retired editor/Publisher of the Valley Forge Region newsletter, The Goddess
1940 La Salle series 50 four door sedan

Stinson

I would not keep our suggestions to ourselves. They are all suggestions for consideration by others.
You provided yours.
I provided mine.
Others are providing theirs and all of this is a good thing.
I may not like certain suggestions and nor will others.
Everyone should express their thoughts and I thank you for thinking things out for the betterment of the CLC and its members.
Remember that we don't see each other as we try to talk to eachother here. So facial expressions, physical signals and tone does not come through to the reader. When I look back at my statements and the way they are expressed they seem terse, but they are not ment that way - just a manner of expression.
Keep up the good work - now I will just fade out of this string.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

John Barry [CLC17027]

Too late: the damage has been done.  I've been told--granted, not in so many words--to mind my own business and that my ideas are not welcome. 
John Barry (CLC 17027)
Now-retired editor/Publisher of the Valley Forge Region newsletter, The Goddess
1940 La Salle series 50 four door sedan

Stinson

Seems to me that just as many people have supported your idea.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

Fred Zwicker #23106

I wouldn't feel badly John - this is a very interesting discussion and glad that you started this post. Even those who do not like change have been very courteous in their replies (I hope). Things take time to improve and while I still greatly enjoy the printed version of the Directory, does not mean that I would not accept it if available on line (maybe both could be available?).

I was at first not interested in on-line banking, but now do almost all of my check writing by Bill Pay through my local bank and love the convenience and 24/7 access. Any of us on this forum are obviously computer literate or would not be here.  However there are many others who are not computer savvy that would certainly want a printed Directory.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com