News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Hub caps

Started by joeceretti, August 18, 2013, 10:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeceretti

I've been looking for proper, as off the dealer lot, hub caps. I've found one website, that is very well known selling what they call 100% reproductions but they are NOT 100%. In fact they are quite different from the Cadillac factory photos I have been studying. Does anyone know where I can get the exact hub caps that came with a 1938? Mine have small center caps and outside trim rings. They look ok for now and are better than bare wheels. They are not correct. I don't want to spend even one cent on caps that are not perfectly right. Seems like a waste.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Joe, Evidently McVey and AllCads don't have 1938 wheel covers now. What you need is a set of 1937-40 LaSalle button hubcaps and a set of 1937/38 Black Cadillac medallions. And then a set of 16" trim rings. Start with finding a decent set of the LaSalle button hubcaps and the black hub cap medallions for '37 & '38. the reason they are called "button" hubcaps is that they are completely plain. I have one to start you off that needs straightening, like we had to do in the olden days. Some of them are only plated steel and some have a thin brass chromed cover over the base. Probably used for Cadillac and the ones with no "cover" were for LaSalle.

And then if you want to get full wheel covers, you need the ones with concentric rings on them in a dome shape and black medallions with a gold crest.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

As far as I know the small hubcaps have never been repo'd and for sure are not available now.  The plain steel ones are much easier (cheaper) to restore than the skinned ones.  Some of the LaSalle ones have the emblem stamped in the cap instead of the tabbed emblem.  For a Cadillac you don't want one of those.  Apparently the people doing reproductions don't think anyone wants the small caps.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

joeceretti

I am confused. All sales literature I can find from 1938 for the 60S, and it's more than a few pages, show the full wheel caps with equally spaced concentric rings. I currently have the small center caps with outside trim rings. Emblems are not the issue, Brad helped me out, very kindly, for the two that I was missing.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Joe,
You just got some VERY good & accurate information from 2 long time members. I suggest you find some other original photos rather than sales brochures. Try to find some commercial chassis or LaSalle pics.

You will see some small hubcaps.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

joeceretti

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on August 20, 2013, 12:03:02 AM
Joe,
You just got some VERY good & accurate information from 2 long time members. I suggest you find some other original photos rather than sales brochures. Try to find some commercial chassis or LaSalle pics.

You will see some small hubcaps.
HTH, Bob

Yes, and I am grateful. Simply trying to understand and reconcile the differences I've seen. I do have four of the button type, with some dents, that I can straighten. I wasn't interested in going to the trouble if they are not the correct caps.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

in one of my "stories" in the S/S I had the sales manager of a dealership trick out his personal demo '41 convertible in dusty gray with Vincennes Red wheels with left over 1940 hub caps and trim rings. I always thought the 1939/40 emblem was much more elegant than the 1941-52 emblem on hub caps.

For Bob Hoffmann and myself... Anyone have a two-toned 1941 convertible? No, we're not crazy. There were several. Look at the light color (yellow) one on Page 157 of the third edition of Cadillacs of the Forties. Black "A" pillars and black top all around the body crease.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

joeceretti

I have done further research. I see that all the Cadillac advertising shows the full wheel caps. Then, I found a factory photo showing the smaller caps with trim rings. Am I to understand that the small caps with trim rings was the OEM spec and the full caps where optional upgrades? It makes some sense to me that they would show the full caps in the advertisements to assist them in selling the optional upgrades. If so, the caps I have are just fine. They need some tlc to return them to showroom dealer condition but are correct, if this is true.

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

You have it right Joe,  Even the trim rings were optional at $1.50.  The full wheel covers were called "Wheel Discs" in Cadillac talk.  See attached option list.  This is in the Cadillac LaSalle Data Book.  Originals and repo data books are on eBay at times.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500