News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac 50th Anniversary interesting/funny/unusual photos

Started by Tony, May 18, 2009, 08:59:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles D. Barnette

While waiting for Carla to post the 4 door convertible version of the 59 Cad., I will have her also post a picture of 3 red 59 Cadillac scale models representing as many body styles and as many shades of red. Included is 1. (up top in the middle) a bright 1/24 scale red 1959 Cadillac Coupe DeVille by Jada Toys of California, 2. (on the left) a less detailed "metallic flake" red smaller scale 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz convertible made in China, and 3. (on the right) a red Series 62 convertible 1/24 scale by the Danbury Mint. These prove the point about the variety and abundance of 1959 Cadillac scale models available. Charles D. Barnette

Carla

Here are the three red 1959 Cadillac scale models.

veesixteen

Charles, Carla, here is the original tinplate "Series 60 Special" sedan manufactured by Bandai, Japan, that was "chopped" to produce the white 4-door convertible.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

veesixteen

Here's another 1959 Cadillac scale model you don't get to see every day.  It's the bespoke Eldorado Brougham. This is a conversion from the Gunze-Sangyo "Eldorado Seville" plastic kit by my buddy,  Baron Otto Johann Helmut Von Anzengruber Cserer Albassy zu Heidendorf !)

David Greenburg

Here is a picture of a '59 Fleetwood wood stove, located in the living room of a Massachusetts architect (the car was shortened to 12 feet).  I also wanted to share the March '85 cover of Smithsonian with a six window Sedan de Ville on the cover (captioned "The Joys of Junk"), but that file exceeds the 500kb limit.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

veesixteen

Here's another image of that 1959 Cadillac wood-burning stove.  I have also the Smithsonian magazine cover mentioned by David [here's a mini-sized pic]

veesixteen

More "furniture and fittings" based on the iconic 1959 Cadillac.  The couch is one of many built by Bob Millian, whose recent passing is mentioned in this Forum.  This one was built for his friend, Fats Domino.  A plaque located in the armrest recess  reads: "To my pal Antoine from your boy Bob".

veesixteen

Here's another pic of the Fats Domino couch by the late Bob Millian. Included also is a pic of a 1959 "skeleton" used as a booth in Michael Dezer's Miami Beach hotel.

tony

Ever wondered what it is like to ship a car in a metal box from one side of the planet to the other? You open the doors to the sea container, its like opening a big present, and there she is in all her glory (hopefully!).
Its such a tight fit you have to crawl across the bonnet and slide in through the window to get into the car so you can (again really hopefully) start her up and drive her out.
Here are some possible captions for the picture:
"I thought it would have been in better condition that this"
"Seriously, what was I thinking"
"Can I send it back?"
"Okay lets drop the top and blast off for the best ride ever!!!!!!!"

Thanks
Tony

Stewart Homan

Quote from: veesixteen on May 24, 2009, 05:02:18 PM
This "bubble top" 1959 Cadillac parade car was made for the state visit to Canada of Britain's Queen Elizabeth II, in 1959. The car has survived and is presently being restored in a top secret facility in Ohio.

So about this time last year - beginning June in fact, I along with my other half Sam, my sister and dad go to the Ladies Day at Epsom Racecourse in Surrey, England - my dad lived at that time a stones throw from the track in a place called Burgh Heath so it was convienient to park my now sold yellow 59 series 62 convertible at my dads house while we went and got drunk at the races. Around midday the following day - a Saturday - me and Sam return to my dads t get the 59 - and I should say, the car is eye popping - restored by Mark Lease in Oregon and NM, KH wires, black top etc. So I drive to the end of my dads road only to be stopped by a cop on a motorcycle - as I look down the hill, I see this Bentley limousine coming up the road towards me - as it gets close the old dear in the back does a proper 'Rubber Neck of the 59 - swings all the way round to check it out! My missus gets out of her car behind and comes up to me... "Did you see that?" she says. Needless to say, it was Her Majesty The Queen on her way to enjoy a day at the Gee Gee's.....

Charles D. Barnette

Next up on on this thread of unusual 59 Cad pictures is the Ecto-1 1959 Cadillac Ghostbusters vehicle 1/18 scale model made by Kenner of Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1988. The hard plastic vehicle model itself was  made in Mexico. The Ghost Figure (being reeled in by the Ghost Claw) was made in Hong Kong. The real vehicle was seen in the 1984 movie by Columbia Pictures and was seen in The Real Ghostbusters TV Show in 1986. Carla will have fun posting shortly pictures of this 59 Cad model complete with the "swivel blaster seat"! I am glad her grandson is not around-there still is a kid left in all of us. Charles D. Barnette-the 1959 Cad lives on forever in scale models. Have you also noticed that the 59 Cadillacs have become through the years a truly international by-product?

Carla

Here is the Ecto-1 1959 Cadillac Ghostbusters vehicle by Kenner.

Carla

Carla

Here is a close-up of the dash of the Ghostbusters Cadillac which is pretty authentic. 

eldo59

Quote from: South_paw on May 27, 2009, 05:30:56 PM
Here's the real one

I thought I took a photo of the real one.It looks different to the other one.
Mauro Bonfitto

Otto Skorzeny

There are a lot of home made ones floating around out there - just like home made General Lees.

One was even misrepresented a while back at one of the major auctions. Anyway, I think the second photo is the correct one.

Is it the same one as this at VOLO?

http://www.volocars.com/1959-cadillac-ecto-1-ghostbusters-who-ya-gonna-call-c-870.htm

The first photo is of one being sold on ebay right now.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/917/917719p1.html
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Eric S. Maypother #15104

Ghost Busters:
If you watch both movies they revamped the car for the second movie, adding the black/yellow along the sides, the neon sign board and a few other things, that's why you'll see 2 different looking cars, though no doubt some people try to pass theirs off as the movie car, that 1 ad said 3 cars were made for universal/movie. Maybe they started with a different car for the second movie as not to alter the part 1 car, at the beginning of part 2 the car is really run down then they re-do it.

Also if you Notice the car is Ecto 1, them sometimes you see the part 2 car referred to as Ecto-1A

I have a bunch of the Ghost Busters cars in my collection, the Johnny Lightning series were they had them in several different colors, the Ertl die cast model, the cartoon cars, a soap dish car, etc.

Theirs currently a 1969 Ghost Busters car on eBay. last week their was a 1962 & a 1973.

Not to stray off the 1959 subject, like Charles said 1959 is the car everyone immortalizes in models, I have tons of 1959 scale models as well, from Hotwheels in every color, Johnny Lightning Ghost Busters, Franklin Mint, Danbury Mint, plus note pads, key chains, calculators, phone, clock radio, etc, etc.
Eric :)
1990 Cadillac Brougham

Carla

Here is the 1959 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe in a beautiful ad showing the car at the Waldorf - Astoria Hotel.  These original Cadillac Ads always included beautiful fashions.  In this ad Cadillac states that the three furs (worn by as many women) were furnished by Revillon.  The Series 62 Coupe was the lowest priced 59 Cadillac, but it still has the beauty and elegance to be at home at the Waldorf - Astoria.

Misfit

Here's my beautiful survivor. Still has the original lacquer on it too !!!   :o

MisFit 

Misfit

I'll be greedy and post 2 more. It's hard not to show off a beautiful car.

And would a Moderator please remove one of the 'L's' in the title word Cadillac.

MisFit