News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Where did the 53 Eldo post go?

Started by Quentin Hall, December 29, 2017, 11:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quentin Hall

53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Bobby B

Quote from: Quentin Hall on December 29, 2017, 11:16:44 PM
Where did the 53 Eldos post go?

You missed your fun. Most likely flagged..... >:D
                                                           Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Quentin Hall

I was just warming up to give everybody a rev up.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

gouldsom

I was really enjoying that post, the classic dilemma, buy and restore or buy one that is original  or done at a much higher price.
I don't care what anyone says including Quentin, but the price of those cars is slowly coming down to earth, while the price of restoration just keeps going up. 

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: gouldsom on December 30, 2017, 02:48:16 AM
... the price of those cars is slowly coming down to earth...

What is the source of this statement?
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

My guess is the OP removed the first post which eliminates the thread in toto.

David King (kz78hy)

I read some of postings a day ago or so.  Really not our best effort to make a new person feel welcome.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Bobby B

Quote from: David King  (kz78hy) on December 30, 2017, 01:20:46 PM
I read some of postings a day ago or so.  Really not our best effort to make a new person feel welcome.
David

David,
Hi. I think that guy was only throwing that car out there on the forum so he didn't have to pay for advertising. In my opinion, it was way overpriced and I think some people thought of him as being greedy and just "phishing". I don't think any harm was done. Had he come on here and approached it differently or more realistically, I think everyone would have tried to help out. Just my 2 cents..... ::)
                                                                                        Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

chrisntam

So now that it is no longer posted, what was the value?

Seems that restored ones go for $125k to $250k.

Restoration and parts acquisition would be at least $100k to $150k.

After restoration, value would be $125k to $250k.

So with some tricky arithmetic, the car's value was $0 to $100k.

Appears it was priced in the "range".

Your thoughts?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Quentin Hall

Compared to other classics of the era for example 356 Porsche and 190sl and 300sl Mercedes, perhaps even XK 120 and XK140 Jaguars, personally I feel that the 53 Eldorado, considering its pedigree, rarity and importance in postwar Cadillac history is still way undervalued.
    I may have a vested interest in saying that but look at a current Porsche speedster price and tell me what your thoughts are.
My Dad talked my uncle out of buying a 57 Carrera for $400 because the restoration cost would be too high when I was a 12 or 13.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Several years ago one on eBay in similar condition did around $70K IIRC but that also included two factory replacement rear quarters and a lot of other '53 ELC trim parts.

Bobby B

Quote from: chrisntam on December 30, 2017, 02:08:42 PM
So with some tricky arithmetic, the car's value was $0 to $100k.
Your thoughts?

Chris,
You already did the math for us.... ;D ;D ;D
                                           Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

chrisntam

Looked at Hemmings.com, one for $250k, one for $280k.  Paper edition has one for $185k...

I'd prolly offend him with my offer....

:P
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Bobby B

Quote from: chrisntam on December 30, 2017, 06:33:52 PM
I'd prolly offend him with my offer....

I think that was the problem  ::).......
                                    Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

V63

I have to agree too, the posts were not very welcoming.

We potentially lost a future member.

We gained a record of rare milestone car , with images and a link in the chain of its ownership. This should be encouraged not discouraged.

Bobby B

Quote from: V63 on December 31, 2017, 02:45:31 AM
We gained a record of rare milestone car , with images and a link in the chain of its ownership. This should be encouraged not discouraged.

And maybe that car will one day show up somewhere restored and he'll have the last laugh. I wonder if I'll still be alive when that day comes.  ::)
                                                                                                                                 Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

chrisntam

Quote from: V63 on December 31, 2017, 02:45:31 AM
I have to agree too, the posts were not very welcoming.

We potentially lost a future member.

Yabbut,

The guy could have approached it a little differently as well.

What was the $97,000.00 going to get you?  What was good on the car?  The title? 

It wasn't a '70 hemi 'cuda convertible.....
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

BJM

If that poster was a serious Cadillac guy, he would have been on here before. He ONLY came on the AACA and CLC to sell the car. 

He only revealed he was a broker after we questioned the price.

The debate over appropriateness over whether to comment on pricing will always divide forum members. Some will say never comment, it's rude and inappropriate. 

David King (kz78hy)

I think it is cool he thought of our organization as good place to expose the available car.  The selling process was just starting after all.  A '53 Eldorado is an upper eshelon car in the whole hobby, not just the Cadillac world.

The collector crowd for this car will understand what it is and how hard they are to do and most likely not their first or 10th car restored.  So a smart and well to do pool of people will determine what the value of it is, and most likely very quietely so we won't know unless they are our close friends.

Unknown '53 Eldo's come out of darkness once every 2 years or so and with each one, the likelihood of another gets a lot smaller.

These cars have a long track record in the collector world and I agree with Quentin that they are very undervalued.  So the long view would be these cars have good legs from an investment perpective.

The initial pricing seemed high to me as well, but what do I know about '53 Eldo's other than they are in the same league as the Eldorado Brougham's and I do follow those pretty close.  Maybe that complete car with rust is not a 97k car, but it could be 85k car...  Whatever the number, it will be most likely be higher than the entire car cost and restoration budget for the majority of cars discussed here.

The national CLC provides this site and the least we should do is promote the club to potential new members with a positive experience.

David King
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Quentin Hall

I think those discussions may already be taking place David. In any event to me a 53 Eldo find is like finding another Jackson Pollock. The late Matt Larsen helped instil in me an obsession in this model. I’m looking forward to assisting  whoever gets it.
    There was nothing on that car that I haven’t previously had to find, repair, remake or fabricate. So yes it will be a year or two or more ( it doesn’t matter how long) and that car will be restored. Thankfully it has survived.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz