Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
For Sale / Re: Parting out 1956 Cadillac Fleetwood Sedan
« Last post by chstitans42 on Yesterday at 07:16:07 PM »
ttt
Technical / Authenticity / Re: Bias ply vs radial
« Last post by 67_Eldo on Yesterday at 07:15:32 PM »
The 1957 Cadillac vs Imperial thread got me to looking at other old Imperial videos on YouTube. Jay Leno doesn't have to worry about car shows or money or anything like that, so he can take a strong stand on radial tires and custom-made four-wheel disc brakes.

https://youtu.be/1rwur6xqYcM?t=9m8s

Sort of off topic: My Dad had a 1958 Imperial that was the first car I ever "drove" at 100+ MPH ... down a gravel road (on the bias plys of the day). I was about five years old and couldn't reach the pedals, so I sat on his lap and handled the steering wheel (which is enormous by any standard but like a hula hoop to a five-year-old me) while he operated the pedals. He ran the Imperial up over 100 MPH down the gravel back roads of Kansas while I desperately steered the monster, yelling for him to slow down. "You're doing fine. You're doing fine," he kept repeating. That is my first memory of sheer terror.
General Discussion / Need new foam for my 1974 Cadillac Eldorado. Where?
« Last post by Crow331 on Yesterday at 06:39:04 PM »
Is there anyone online who makes replacement seat foam for a 1974 Cadillac Eldorado? My foam is in terrible shape and so far I've had no luck online finding any replacements.

Also I'm looking at new seat covers but my rear seat is a bench seat and all the replica rear seat covers I've seen out there have an armrest. Mine doesn't. Where can I find a bench seat cover for this '74 Caddy Eldo?

Thanks all!  New owner here!

The car has dropped out of the DMV system because it hasn't been registered in a decade. I have 100% proof that I have the right car (Patricia Arquette's sibling is sitting in it and all the leopard print interior matches up to my car!) .... butttttttttttttttttttttttt.... I'd love to have a better paper trail. Is there anything I can do to find out who the previous owners are i.e. Patricia Arquette?  The DMV ran the VIN and it came up with nothing. My police friend ran the VIN and came up with nothing. The car doesn't exist. He says he can file paperwork to run a deeper search of the VIN but since that is usually reserved for crime investigations, he is not inclined to do it.

Any ideas on how I can track this?? 
General Discussion / Re: 57 Chrysler Imperial vs 57 Cadillac dealer promo film
« Last post by Jon S on Yesterday at 06:33:24 PM »
The 1957/1958 Imperials were very quiet and nice riding cars. They were very quick off the line and in many ways more sdvanced than their GM counterparts. Their bodies were introduced too quickly and as such were prone to premature rusting. The torque flite was very similar to the turbo hydramatic that wasn't introduced by GM until 1964. Chrysler in the 1950's was known for their engineering. I am. GM person, but the 1957/8 Imprials were quite a car.
General Discussion / Best place to buy gas tank for 69 Deville.
« Last post by Dulcidog2 on Yesterday at 05:53:00 PM »
I assume a new one is better than trying to repair mine?
Any experience with vendors , good bad ?
Thanks Bill
Bldulcidog@gmail.com
« Last post by z3skybolt on Yesterday at 05:45:26 PM »
George,

Having grown up without power steering and brakes I never notice unless I am parking.  Back then I didn't know the difference.  I have driven the LaSalle about  2,000 miles. As someone said earlier...it is the roads with ruts and ridges that cause the bias ply tires to track and swerve all over.  I live in a rural area and enjoy the quiet, paved, back roads. That is where the bias ply cause much effort.

Otherwise...cruising is sweet and smooth.

bob
« Last post by The Tassie Devil(le) on Yesterday at 05:44:34 PM »
I am 70 years of age,    I forgot how horribly bias ply tires performed until I purchased a 1940 LaSalle with B.F. Goodrich bias ply.  Fine on smooth highways.  Constant effort on back roads. Soon I will replace them with radials. Bought my car to drive and enjoy. Not to show.  Bob   
G'day Bob,

I too am 70 years young, and purchased my first set of Radial tyres in 1967, and never looked back.

The only time I would buy Cross Plies was to fit to trailers.   Now, down here Cross Plies are like hens' teeth.

Bruce. >:D
« Last post by gkhashem on Yesterday at 05:36:39 PM »
I am 70 years of age,

I forgot how horribly bias ply tires performed until I purchased a 1940 LaSalle with B.F. Goodrich bias ply.  Fine on smooth highways.  Constant effort on back roads. Soon I will replace them with radials. Bought my car to drive and enjoy. Not to show.

Your mileage may vary......

Bob

Bob

I drove a 1939 Cadillac Coupe Series 61 once (looking to buy it) and the effort came from no power steering and no power brakes. So the tires should help but I imagine they all drive somewhat like a truck.
« Last post by gkhashem on Yesterday at 05:34:40 PM »
I have bias tires on my 1959 Coupe Deville and a 1964 Olds 98. My 1966 Coupe Deville has radials but I chose them since I can get modern tires in that size so rather than spend a $1000 on new bias I spent $ 350.00 on new Cooper radials. Then again when you have 9 cars you sometimes have to economize. Plus the 1966 looks like the radials could belong on the car.

Do I know I have bias  tires on the car when I drive, well yes. But I drive the car as you should. Nice and easy. Cruising at a leisurely pace. Taking turns slowly and controlled. Part of the issue is the way you drive the car. Now note I say part of the issue not all. There is a difference.

I tend to think many of you guys out there drive like the general public. In big hurry, to go no where.

Are you guys driving 45 years old and older cars like a modern car? Taking turns on 2 wheels cutting in and out of traffic?

The only time my bias tires wander is if the road I am on is bad.  Bad in that the road has ruts or remnants of what we call frost heaves in NH. The car will not wander on a decent road, only on poor roads does it wander. I cannot really tell the difference on a newly paved road as long as I drive in a controlled manner.

So you can do what you want, but I drive these cars around 500 miles a year and generally on short trips a bias tire works for me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10